WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS, GET WEEKLY DIET PLANS FOR WEIGHT LOSS, AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Every girl wishes to step out with flawless makeup and a good foundation is indispensable to achieve flawless finish. For a lot of women, liquid foundation is their go-to choice than powder or mineral makeup. When using liquid foundation on a daily basis, you would have certain unanswered questions in mind – like, does liquid foundation clog pores? Our answer is, yes, liquid foundation can clog pores only if you use the wrong type of foundation, or if you extremely oily or acne-prone skin. Every skin type is different and one needs to keep their skin type in mind while selecting skincare and makeup products.
To delve into this topic deeper, pores are small openings on the surface of the skin and these pores secrete oil and sweat. The pores act as a conduit of sort to exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide in the skin. If these pores get blocked or clogged, it leads to acne, blemishes and pimples. Clogged pores is a common skin issue regardless of age or gender, acne is usually formed by dead skin cells, debris, dirt, grime, and bacteria clogging the pores. Excessive sebum secreted by the skin also gets clogged into the pores.
What Causes Clogged Pores?
- Dead skin cells and bacteria build up.
- Excessively oily skin.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Wrong skincare and makeup products.
- Not taking off makeup at the end of the day.
Which Skin Type can Safely use Liquid Foundation?
Liquid foundation is one of the most popular types of foundation formulations. Liquid foundation blends easily and works best only for dry skin to normal skin type. Before application, shake the bottle to avoid product separation. Liquid foundation can be applied with a makeup sponge, makeup brush or with clean fingers. It provides high coverage and can be used to hydrate dry skin.
Tips to Avoid Clogged Pores:
- Remove makeup using a good makeup remover at the end of the day. The best way to cleanse your skin is by following “oil cleansing method.” This way your skin will be squeaky clean with zero clogged pores. Here’s more about oil cleansing.
- Wash face with lukewarm water and a mild cleanser.
- Use a good primer that would form a barrier between your skin and rest of the makeup.
- Hydrate your skin well with an oil-free, water-based moisturizer.
- Switch to mineral foundations and mineral makeup products. Our suggestion would be L’Oreal Paris True Match Mineral Foundation, The Body Shop Mineral Foundation.
- Use water-based products as much as possible.
- Oil-based liquid foundations can clog pores, switch to water-based foundations like Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15, MAC Studio Waterweight SPF 30 Foundation, Makeup Forever Face and Body Liquid Foundation, L’Oreal True Match Super Blendable Makeup. These water-based foundations can give you natural, non-cakey finish that will not choke your skin either.
How To Deep Clean Pores:
- Steam your face: Boil water in a large pot, once you see vapours, switch off the stove and pour the water into a large bowl. Using a towel, cover your head and keep the towel on the shoulders. Steam the face for no more than 10 minutes, exceeding time limit can dry out the skin.
- After steaming, rinse with cold water to rinse off particles and dirt from the pores.
- Lastly, moisturise the skin well.
- You can steam once a week to deep cleanse the pores.
- Use a Clay mask once a week. Clay masks cleans out pores by pulling out dirt, sebum, impurities from the pores and surface of the skin.
- Exfoliate your skin once or twice a week with a facial scrub. Facial scrub contains tiny exfoliating particles that helps exfoliate the skin and clean the pores. You can use it once a week to thoroughly clean the skin. Use a moisturiser after scrubbing to lock in the moisture.
So, answering the main question, most liquid foundations do not clog pores. When picking up liquid foundations, look for “oil-free”, water-based foundations – these would not clog or block your pores. Alternatively, mineral foundations are a good choice if you have extremely oily or acne-prone skin.