I find L’oreal HIP’s (High Intensity Pigments) entire range to be amazing. I had their eyeshadow duos which impressed me so much that on my last trip to the States, I picked up the L’Oreal HIP Shine Struck Liquid Lipcolor from a drugstore.
(L: Euphoric, R: Precarious)
The idea of these lipcolors is to combine the full coverage of a lipstick with the sheen of a gloss. L’oreal HIP’s website claims that these lipcolors are very creamy and non-sticky with Jojoba oil and Vitamin E for conditioning of the lips. Vitamin E keeps the lips soft and supple while Jojoba Oil conditions the texture of the lips.
Price: It retails for around $12 but a lot of HIP products are usually on sale for much less than that. I picked these up at a BOGO offer!
Packaging: 8.2 ml
Color Selection: This lipcolor is available in 12 shades ranging from the lightest pink to deep maroon; nude shade all the way to a bright coral color.
I chose 2 colors: Euphoric & Precarious. Euphoric is a hot pink shade that comes out to be a nude-mauve on the lips with bluish undertones with slight shimmer. Precarious is a bright orange shade that comes out to be a perfect coral color with slight shimmer.
What I Love About L’Oreal HIP Shine Struck Liquid Lip Color
• Colors: Even though most of their colors look amazing, I was really psyched about these 2 shades. I have lots of pink lipglosses but nothing the shade of Euphoric. It is so beautiful – just the perfect balance between a Barbie pink and a nude pink. But my favorite of the 2 is Precarious. OMG, I have never seen an orange-y shade more beautiful than this one. It is the perfect orange coral color which will flatter almost all skin tones. I was apprehensive about this one as it just looked too bright and too orange in the tube but wow, what a color! I will even go so far as to say that this is probably the most beautiful lipstick/lipgloss I own and I have quite a few!!
(L: Euphoric; R: Precarious)
• Stickiness: The one thing I hate about lipglosses is how sticky most of them usually are. I even dislike MAC’s lipglasses as I just don’t like the sticky feel on my lips. But these babies go on so smooth and are absolutely non sticky! Love, love, love!!!!
• Pigmentation: Since these are a part of the “high intensity pigment” line, the pigmentation of the lipcolors is really good. You actually get color on your lips along with the shine! I am not a big fan of sheer and/or clear lipsticks/lipglosses and these do not disappoint me at all.
• Scent: One of the best smelling lipsticks/lipglosses ever! These smell just like candy and caramel-y and have absolutely no chemical, waxy smell or feel.
• Lipstick and lipgloss in one: These are multi purpose lip products. The colors are intense as that of a lipstick while the shine is that of a lipgloss. A cross between a lipstick and a lipgloss.
• Moisturizing: These liquid colors are so moisturizing to the lips that even after they wear off, you can still feel the nourishing effect on the lips. They also glide like a dream and just one swipe is enough to get the desired color.
• Staying power: The staying power of these colors is about 4-5 hours. It doesn’t seem that much but amongst all the lipglosses I own, these are probably the longest lasting ones.
• Shimmer: Both these colors have beautiful yet understated shimmer. The shimmer doesn’t transfer to the rest of the face and even when the lipcolor wears off, the shimmer still stays on the lips and just looks beautiful!
• Applicator: The lipcolors have doe foot applicators which pick exactly the right amount of color giving the perfect control while applying. I like the doe foot applicators more than the brushes, so these are great for me.
What I Don’t Love About L’Oreal HIP Shine Struck Liquid Lip Color
• Availability: The biggest issue with the L’oreal HIP line in general is its non-availability in India. These can be purchased online from ebay but only if it’s a reputed seller.
• Price: Without any offers, these run for about $12 which I find to be quite expensive for a drugstore brand. With MAC’s lipglasses at $14, these are definitely not a cheaper alternative. However, more often than not, these are on some sort of sale at the drugstores abroad and those are the best times to pick these up.
• Colors not true to the tube: The shades of these lipcolors are not exactly the same as what you’d see in the tubes. These are actually quite toned down and wearable, which is a good thing but many a times, you’d just walk away given how pigmented and loud some of these look in their packaging.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
I am in love with these lipcolors. I wish I had gotten more (SIGH!) – will definitely get more colors from this line as and when I get a chance. If you can ever find them, definitely try these out. I’d say that even without any offers, these are still worth picking up, especially the Precarious shade.
L’Oreal Hip Studio Secrets Professional Kohl Eyeliner
L’Oreal Paris HIP Cream Shadow Paint
L’Oreal Paris HiP Concentrated Shadow Duo in Mischief
L’Oreal Colour Riche Stars Lipcolour Lipstick
Maybelline SuperStay Lipcolor
Revlon PlumpSexxxy Lipcolor
Revlon Colorstay Overtime LipColor
Bobbi Brown Creamy Lipcolor Rose Brown
LA Girl Luxury Creme Lipcolor Rendezvous
4 Must Have Classic Lakme Enrich Lipcolor Shades
L’oreal Glam Shine Lipgloss Moon Crystal
LOreal Paris Glam Shine 6H Lip Gloss