A lot of us although desire to shed extra pounds, visiting the gym is the last option on our list. We are willing to do whatever alternative means to lose weight other than of course hitting the gym. There’s this one very popular way to lose weight and that’s “calisthenics.” So, in this post, we would try to explore this weight loss technique without hitting the gym and that too in effective and time-saving manner. Before we embark on the different types of calisthenics, let’s know more details about calisthenics.
What is Calisthenics?
Well, calisthenics is the name given to the body of exercise, mostly free hand, that belongs to the family of aerobics and has been around for centuries although it was only recently it captured the imagination of our generation. Calisthenics as a form of exercises grabbed the headlines the world over as to how celebrities and sports personalities prefer calisthenics over hitting the gym in order to stay in shape. Calisthenics is described as, “gymnastic exercises to achieve bodily fitness and grace of movement.” Or we may also describe it as, “gymnastic exercises to achieve bodily fitness and grace of movement.” and so on. In other words, it is a form of exercise that is aimed at reducing your waistline without going to the gym. It is a good way to effectively lose weight and stay fit for a long time. It is also noted for increased flexibility and improved cardiac health. You can basically lose unwanted body weight sans any undesirable investments in expensive gym equipment. So, check out a few popular calisthenic exercises that are known to yield guaranteed results.
The most popular callisthenic exercises are squats, push-ups, lunges, dips, jumping jacks, pull-ups, sit-ups
and crunches. Once you are fully at ease with executing the aforementioned examples of calisthenics, you can move on to jumping lunges, single leg squat and power pushups. It is note while to point out at this juncture that calisthenics are performed in sets of repetitions. Furthermore, it is worthwhile to remember that calisthenics is a great favourite among soldiers and under training officers with the armed forces and the police departments, all over the world. So let us get started with a few examples of calisthenic workouts that are known not only to reduce weight but also to strengthen muscle and tone our skin, building up our core strength and making us healthier and also improving our cardiovascular health.
- Upper Body Warm-Up: Here we repeat 5-10 times Jumping Jacks followed by 10 Push Ups. After a few weeks of practice, one can add 10 pull-ups and go for multiple sets at 5-10 reps per set.
- Lower Body Warm-Up: For the lower body, we need to start with jumping jacks. So, repeat 5-10 times of Jumping Jacks quickly followed by at least 10 Squats, with the whole regimen repeated 3-5 times for best results.
- Upper/Lower Body and Cardio Combo: This is a combined approach and is usually performed after steps 1 and 2. Here we repeat 3-4 times a full body regime of Pull-ups – with max reps of 20 followed by Squats – approximately 20-30 and then top it off with 2 sets of Pushups – 20-30 reps and Lunges – 10-15 / leg. For abs, we should go for at least- 50 reps. If we are follow this regimen with dedication and sincerity, it would be an effective workout to lose weight.
- Lower Body/Cardio Workout: The other logical combo would include lower body plus cardio workout. For that, we need to repeat 4-5 times the following routine. Please bear in mind that although it is a quick process, it is nevertheless a challenging workout that is aimed to build your leg speed as well as improve your endurance levels. In this one, we recommend that one bikes for 3 minutes, then goes straight to squats with 20 reps and then opt for lunges. It is recommended that we also include 15/leg reps. Finally for something called the heel raises (for our calves), we should go for some 20-30 reps.
- Upper/Lower Back Balance Cycle: Examples of such callisthenic exercises are reverse pushups -give it about 25 reps; then go for bends of at least 25 reps and then we top it all off with plank pose that can start with 30 seconds and go up to 1 minute or more.
- Push/Pull Upper body Cycle: Here we repeat the exercise routine mentioned below 4-5 times for best results. This is meant to work out our upper body fully so as to balance out pushing muscles such as chest, shoulders and triceps as well as pulling muscles as with biceps, forearms and back. We perform Push Ups (max reps), Reverse Push Ups which would be equal to – 20 Pull Ups.
- Abdominal Cycle: For the ab muscles, we advocate an exercise regime consisting of 25 crunches, 25 reverse crunches, 25 double crunches then 25 left and right crunches; couple that with 25 bicycle crunches followed with a plank pose that should go on for no more than 1 minute.
As you must have all learned by now, calisthenics is actually an excellent way to get to our goal weight without going to the gym and sans strict adherence to any dietary plans. Calisthenics is a favourite with the armed forces all over the world, irrespective of the nation in question.
In case of any queries or questions do not hesitate to drop in a few words in the comments section below.
Till next time, bye girls – stay pretty, healthy and strong.