Shea butter is widely used in skincare products for its intensely moisturizing, anti-ageing, and repairing properties. But did you know shea butter is equally beneficial when it comes to hair. The shea tree is also known as the “tree of life” because of its numerous healing properties. Shea butter is produced from Shea nuts and is harvested in West Africa. In Africa, Shea butter has been for used for over thousands of years for medicinal purposes, food, cooking, skin balms, soaps and lamp oils. Recently, it gained global popularity through North America for hair and skin products. Here’s how you can make hair conditioner with shea butter to reap the amazing benefits from this wonder ingredient.
Benefits of Shea Butter on Hair:
1. Shea butter is very moisturizing for the hair and scalp. Shea butter seals in moisture and increases hair softness. It is most beneficial for curly and coarse hair texture and dry and damaged hair.
2. Anti-aging: Various studies haven proven that shea butter helps in cell regeneration, reduces signs of aging, and improves collagen production.
3. Prevents breakage: In a study, it was concluded that this miracle fruit seed oil prevents hair breakage. Shea butter in oil form penetrates deeply into hair and prevents hair breakage.
4. Loaded with goodness: Shea Butter contains vitamins A and E along with essential fatty acids, shea butter has healing properties for the skin. As it has high content of fatty acids, it helps to add moisture to your hair reduce dryness and prevent split ends. These fatty acid boosts shine and reduce the frizz. It further protects the hair from heat damage caused by heat styling.
5. Reduces scalp irritation: Shea butter has anti-inflammatory properties which might be beneficial to reduce redness and scalp irritation by providing healing effects without clogging the pores. It is a natural product and is safe to use on all types of hair, especially on chemically damaged, dry, or color treated hair.
How to Make Shea Butter Conditioner:
1. Shea Butter with coconut milk: For this recipe, you will need 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 2 tablespoons of soft raw Shea Butter, 1/2 tea spoon of vitamin E oil. 4-5 drops of lavender essential oil. Melt Shea butter half way in the microwave. Throw all the ingredients in a blender except the lavender essential oil. Blend for a few seconds till you get a creamy, white, thick consistency. Lastly, add 4-5 drops of lavender essential oil. Use a small amount on hair to avoid greasy looking hair. Store in a refrigerator. It lasts a week outside. Use on damp hair.
2. Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioner: You will need 1/2 cup Shea butter, 1 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 5-6 drop of your favourite essential oil like rose, lavender, jasmine. Begin with melting Shea butter and coconut oil in a double broiler, make sure water doesn’t enter the bowl. Once melted, add olive oil. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes till it solidifies 50% after the solidification remove from the refrigerator and blend in a hand mixer till it resembles like a thick cream. Lastly, add essential oil mix and store in a jar. Store in a cool place and use within a month or refrigerate and you can use upto 3 months.
3. Shea Butter hair mask: Simply melt 2 tablespoon of Shea butter and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Apply the mixture on dry hair just like oiling. Wait for an hour or two and shampoo and conditioner as usual. Enjoy soft manageable hair!
Hope you enjoy the goodness of Shea butter and add to your hair and skin routine, thanks for reading!
WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP AND DIY VIDEOS AND READ IMBB COMPLETELY AD FREE. DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!