MaxFactor Second Skin foundation Review
I got the Second Skin foundation from MaxFactor on a whim hoping that I can use it as a daily foundation. I have used it for about 4 weeks now and I guess it is a good time to give my opinion about the product. The product comes in a transparent bottle with a pump to dispense the foundation. It smells quite weird to me, like a Glue Stick or something , not that I have complaints about it but it could have been better smelling. It has a texture that of a fresh cream .
The shades available in the Liquid Illusion range is available in the Second Skin range too.
I got mine in the Creamy Ivory shade.
My Method of applying foundation I apply the foundation with the sponge and set it with a large powder brush .
1. Cleanse , tone with rose water or lavender toner from Fab India and moisturize with Vichy 2. I spray either rose water from Aroma Magic or Fairy lotion from Aroma Magic on to the sponge and pump out less than a pea sized foundation. 3. I dot it on my forehead, cheeks , nose , ears ,chin and the jaw line . I have taken extra foundation for the purpose of review 4. I then smudge it all over the face with the damp sponge 5. Once the whole face is covered , I use the large powder brush to blend and buff. I do not personally prefer using a flat foundation brush. I am more comfortable with a powder brush or a stippling brush 6. I spray a little rose water on the brush and buff till the foundation blends well into the skin. This way it gives even coverage and looks natural . This is the method I follow for all foundations . I just adjust the spritz according to the foundation I am using. If it is cream I spritz twice , if it is liquid half the spritz and like wise. Finally I set it off with a setting powder. Pros :
- As it claims it gives a very natural finish. It just disappears into the skin.
- Only a little quantity is required to cover the whole face.
- The texture is very fine and smooth. Hence it is easy to blend
- The foundation does not oxidize
- As mentioned, the packaging of the product makes it easy to get the foundation out and is also easy to carry around. As it comes along with the pump, there is control over taking the product out. And also, since it comes in a bottle it does not burst out under pressure.
- It does not have any shimmers in it. So can be used as a daily wear foundation.
- It does not settle down into the lines nor does it accentuate the pores
- The coverage is very sheer. It is more a tinted moisturiser than a foundation. For people looking for medium to full coverage, this is not the product to go for.
- It does not suit combination / oily skin. I have a combination skin which is oily to dry. By the end of the day, my face turns oily (specially the T-Zone) and looks as if I have applied a thin layer of oil. Nil Oil absorbent properties. Maybe using a primer before (if liquid/cream) or after (if powder) might help.
- The shade selection is limited. It is similar to Maxfactor’s liquid illusion foundation shade range
- There is no SPF and no ingredient list. It has not irritated my skin so far, so I guess it does not have Bismuth OxyChloride.
- There is a feeling of heaviness after some few hours of application. I can feel the oil oozing out and I do not feel fresh all day long when I use this foundation unlike the Liquid Illusion foundation in which I do not feel the need to blot my face even at the end of the day
- It is very easy to go overboard with this foundation as it blends with the skin and looks like skin . And if overdone, it does make you look very made up. The natural look is lost.
Comparison of the MaxFactor Second Skin foundation with MaxFactor Liquid Illusion
Would I Repurchase : No I would not repurchase as I am more comfortable with their Liquid Illusion foundation and liquid illusion suits my skin type well. But I would recommend it for people with dry or normal skin. One of my friend who has got an absolutely gorgeous skin uses this foundation and finding it fab. It would suit for those who are looking for a lighter coverage and do not have much to conceal.
24 thoughts on “MaxFactor Second Skin Foundation Review and Application”
Wow…it does look nice….Lavanya…price??????
I paid 790 /- 🙂
Heyy..nice review..especially the explanation on how you use your foundation 🙂
Thank you Radhika :-))
nice review Lavanya
Thank you :-))
I was super excited to read about the review. Looks like a good daily foundation but “oil oozing out” ? 🙁 Guess I’ll pass it now. The heat here is enough to give me oil on my face. Thank you for the review. 🙂
It would not suit only those who have an oily skin or a combo tending towards oily. It would suit like a dream for ppl with normal and dry. My friend has a normal skin type and she totally swears by it 🙂
Lovely review Lavanya.
I like the foundation application step by step you wrote 🙂
Thank you for that.
I guess I too will give this a pass. But would love to try Liquid Illusion..As it is, I’m loving MF Age Renew.
Thank you and it is my Pleasure. Liquid is simply superb. I am totally in love with that 😀 . Whatever I have tried from MF has not let me down till date
awww… N I thot it would suit my combo oily skin perfectly .. so disappointed now 😥 .. maybe I’ll try MF liquid illusion
Thanks for the review 🙂
.-= Palak´s last blog ..New in Lush – Colour supplements . A preview =-.
That is what even I thot when I got this and me too disappointed. Yeah you must try LI. It is the best foundation I’ve ever used
Wow… Great review Lavanya…. I loooooovvvvvee Maxfactor… :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
Thay have the most amazing variety when it comes to Foundations… :-* :-*
But I would reallly recommend you to use the Age renew one… It is absolutely gorgeous… And in turn i am gonna buy the Liquid Illusion… 😀 😀
.-= Mrunmayee´s last blog ..Jovees Gold Eye Contour gel- Review =-.
Yayyy..the max factor fan club!! I love love love the Liquid Illusion..is tooooooooooo good.
my vote goes for age renew. :))
As of now mine goes to LI 😀
I second you 😀
Me too .. After reading your article on their eye pencils , I got them too and once again fell in love with MF. Let me try their Age renew next. I think we have almost covered all their foundations na .Interesting to note that we have reviewed their entire foundation range :-))
i will not pick this …oily skin
ppl with normal skin are soooo lucky!
I would say ppl with Oily skin are lucky since they age slowly as compared to the normal skin ones 😀 . And we have other choices too
Gawd!! you are not making me feel any better. :X-P: