Western culture seems so obsessed with beauty that a pertinent question might not be what it is, but why is it so important to us? Beauty is something that men and women all over the world worry about and try to achieve daily. And with today’s society becoming more and more overpopulated and vain, the trend to look and stay beautiful is becoming worrying, while we all seem to forget the most important thing.
With the over popular plastic and cosmetic surgery which is becoming accessible to almost anyone, this is a real worry. Knowing you can change the way you look, by just going ‘under the knife’, is a battle we need to win. Television, magazines and the internet are promoting and pushing how our society should look, and the most at danger are our younger generation. Beauty is natural; beauty can not be made beautiful.
To be beautiful isn’t about having a perfect complexion, great face structure, or that perfect petit little nose, its inner beauty that we seem to all forget. And if we don’t grasp hold of reality fast, we will all go twirling down the rabbit hole of vanity.
Let’s step back many years ago in the ancient importance of beauty. Early humans cared less about female weight than they did about a women’s waist to hip ratio, which medical expects believe is a better visual indicator of health and child bearing success. But in today’s society, no-one is worried about their waist to hip ratio, it’s more like what dress size they are. A perfect example is of the early Egyptians who were one of the first to hallmark beauty, make-up was a conquest made by the Egyptians and they were very successful at it, although they were some of the vainest people to live. Beauty for them was life or death, they would never dream (men and women) of stepping out of their homes without ‘their face on’. I mean that literally, as they were a big believer that not being beautiful was a statement of laziness and disgust.
A stereotypical western ideal for beauty is, flawless skin, shiny hair, thin body shape, beautiful eyes, promising features and the list could go on. Being beautiful for many people boosts important reasons not only for there physical feeling but mostly for their mentally emotions. Such as, makes you feel great, raises self confidence, and provides attention towards your-self, gives you pride and lastly above all, makes you feel happy. Which at the end of the day, that’s all that life, is about? But the aim is to keep naturally beautiful and not to get onto the wrong route of beauty. Being beautiful on the outside isn’t the battle we need to win, its remaining beautiful on the inside that will make us truly shine.
Below are a few tips to help our society slow down and concentrate on all the beautiful things in our lives just not humans physical appearance.
- Notice your surroundings. That beautiful green hill near your house, the beautiful big blue lake you jog past every morning, the clouds in the sky, everything around you. Mother Nature’s art work of the world.
- Add beauty to your personal space. Buy a punch of flowers once a week, or even pick a punch of flowers. Add a colorful, peaceful background to your laptop. Use a new coffee mug each week.
- Beauty is not just visual. So play some music that makes you feel good. Wear nice feeling fabrics on your skin or wear a new smelling fragrance every month.
- Do something nice for others, by giving to others, this will really make you shine with beauty.
- When you get a spare moment in your day, just look around and appreciate who is in your life and what you have. Always remember that not everyone is as fortunate as you may be.
At the end of the day it’s important to remember, we are all different, we all have a heart and we all belong to the beauty of beauty, some are just different.
We were created to be beautiful, and beautiful we shall be!