A year ago, we noticed a blogger copying many posts directly from the internet and posting on her blog. This did not seem a serious issue to us as bloggers refer to many other posts for reference and some copy exactly as it is. Anyhow, the blogger had subscribed to IMBB as IMBB was fast becoming a big makeup and beauty blog. Then things started turning murky:
- When we started IMBB, we titled it ‘Indian Makeup and Beauty Blog’/ ‘Indian Makeup Blog’ in our meta tags. There was not a single blog which was titled as such. Most bloggers were trying to imitate phoren blogs and did not feel Indian makeup products had any potential. As IMBB started becoming famous this particular blogger, one of the very first, titled her blog ‘Indian Makeup Blog.’ Even the meta tags and blog description was copied from us. Rati was aghast with this blatant copying but I reasoned out with her on the lines ‘what else can an Indian makeup blogger name her makeup blog?’ I was still playing the reasonable IITian then. I did not think that any blogger worth her salt would get down to such copying. But I was wrong.
- Rati’s idea about posting reader’s question as ‘Ask IMBB’ was copied.
- Soon, the blogger started paying others for writing as we had been doing. No issues so far. But we saw that some of the topics we were covering started appearing on that blog also. “What is the difference between a sunblock and a Sunscreen” was one that I could remember right now. Anyhow, I let it be. IMBB was growing and I really wanted no part of the nuisance. The blogger also tried poaching writers from IMBB. We had to introduce a ‘competitor clause’ in our writers’ terms and conditions because of her.
- Then one day we put up our subscribers count. Our subscribers count you can see in the sidebar. They are all genuine subscribers and represent the high traffic at IMBB. Our subscribers count stood at 2189 then (I still remember the figure). The subscriber count of this fraud blogger stood at 282. The next day her subscriber count was showing 303 subscribers. Whoa! a jump of 31 subscribers overnight! This was impossible for a small blog of that size. When we investigated, she had put up an image of subscribers count in place of the real chicklet. So everyday she was going to put up a new subscribers count image in order to display bloated subscribers. We took the screenshot of this fakeness and wrote a mail to her asking her to remove it or we would expose her. We sent the mail to many of our friends and ask them also to keep the screenshot as a proof. The subscribers image was promptly removed but there are is still a way of faking subscribers which no one can detect. The way has been covered HERE. Anyhow, not my problem still as I was more concerned on the traffic on IMBB and not with stupid stunts some cheap blogger was pulling.
- She even started doing giveaways IMBB style, giving points for submitting posts. Her giveaway rules were markedly similar to our original 500 posts giveaway.
- Then the blogger started posting hate comments against Rati with 2- 3 other bloggers. We cooly blocked all these haters from coming to IMBB. If you want to spread hate, spread it on your own blog.
- Then we got to know that the blogger was putting up fraud reviews of the products she didn’t even have. Her modus operandi- she would pick up images from the net from some blog Indians weren’t visiting, read some reviews on the net, and then write a review as if she has used the product herself. A blogger caught her at this and got so pissed she started a blog to tell people about her. You can see her blog HERE. Sadly, we should have exposed this blogger earlier on IMBB; she changed the pics in all the reviews that the blogger caught her at once she found out about the blog. But many IMBB readers are living proof that they have gone and seen those fake reviews with stolen images. One of the blogger, from whose blog she had copied images to write a fake review, even came and asked her to remove the images.
- Then came copying of smilies. IMBBians loved the smilies on IMBB and often praised them. The lame ass blogger couldn’t stand it, foudn the plugin and used it. We changed the plugin and put some animated smilies on IMBB. everyone loved them more. Now the sneaky blogger has changed the plugin again and started putting animated smilies. Wow, if you had brains, you would have done it before us.
- She copied the way we put up our Adsense widgets. It’s good to know somebody trusts our Adsense placements more than she trusts hers. Blah!
- Rati’s polls and my surveys were recently copied in one go as her polls. Wow! the height of plagiarism.
- We started Sunday Bazaar a few weeks ago. The idea rocked. And suddenly the blogger discovered about organizing blog sales. The cheeks of it. Why couldn’t someone think of something on her own?
There are many other small things that she is contantly copying from IMBB such as Rati’s style of posting eye makeup pic in the beginning in her eye makeup tutorial (yes we did that first too) but I think I have already said enough. I am writing this post to tell this fraud and lame blogger some things:
- Don’t copy others’ ideas. It’s not cool. Use your own brain.
- If you copy others’ ideas give credit to them. Don’t spread hate comments about them.
- Rati is much bigger and better blogger than the likes of you. She invents and does things on her own. You will take ten years to grow like that. Umm… maybe fifteen.
- Two can play the same game. If you want to continue this, we’d show you IMBB style how to copy. When we start copying, you wouldn’t have a place to run.
- Last but not the least, you are going to end up in one big legal tangle if you continue with your fraudulent ways.
And you are not going to get a link from here. Your blog is not going to get the benefit of IMBB’s traffic.
You started as a lame blogger, and despite our advice about blogging ethically, you are still a lame blogger. But your lameness is not our issue. Just DON’T COPY IMBB IDEAS. We really work hard at them.
Further we invite all the friends of IMBB to tell other bloggers about this fraud personality. Don’t trust her reviews because she is known to fake them. Don’t trust her subscribers count because she is known to fake them too.
Trust her to teach all the unethical and unprofessional ways you can run a blog.
The lame blogger has made a ‘counterpost’ trying to put blame on IMBB for copying. I see no justification given for fake reviews or fake subscribers count or copying our ideas. The blogger tries to justify herself by saying we also copy. Let me see the ‘accusations’ she has hurled at IMBB, one by one. 🙂
Stealing Domain Name: First, someone who has stolen domain name similar to ‘wisegeek’ because it was big, and copied articles from there, should not be accusing someone of this anyway. Second, we have already told our IMBB readers how we registered ‘indianmakeupandbeauty.com’ first and then discovered ‘makeupandbeauty.com’ was available. Third, having a domain does not bring success to a blog. It is the content and the hard work that matters. Sadly, our blogger knows neither. She copies others’ content and hard work. Oh by the way, there is a blog with domain makeupandbeauty.ie also. I believe you would also call it a copy. 🙂
EBook: Your idea? Lol, sorry to disappoint you but we have been selling and sending Ebooks on www.totalgadha.com for the last 5 years. Rati’s GMAT blog offered ‘the ultimate guide to GMAT’ ebook for free to subscribers, since 2006. By the way, YOU are registered on www.totalgadha.com. YOU are the one who picked up the idea. We certainly don’t need to pick on YOUR brains to do it on out own.
Adsense Placement: Right. Please point me to one blog which specifically tells you ‘put one adsense block over posts, one adsense banner in the header, and one adsense skyscraper in the right sidebar.’ And then please point me to a blog which tells you to put one link unit in the header. Please show me the blog, I would really like to get tips from that. There are a lot of general tips blog on the internet. But you didn’t need to learn from them. All you had to do was take a theme similar to that of IMBB and then place the ads similar to that on IMBB.
Ask IMBB: Well please check the dates on the first ‘Ask IMBB’ and the first ‘Readers Queries’ on your blog. Any four years old can figure who copied whom. 🙂
Not Our Copyright: Yep, smilies are not our copyright, but you couldn’t think of that on your own, could you? In fact, what is one idea that you have NOT copied? Please share with us.
Legal Issues: Don’t be so cocksure about legal tangles lady. You might think there are not internet laws so you can get away with it but there are loads of intellectual property laws and good trade practices laws which will surely catch you if you don’t stop your fradulent activities.
And now I have given you enough of my time. 🙂