I found out about Michael Todd True Organics from the many beauty gurus on YouTube who gave rave reviews about the brand. Needless to say, I was looking forward to try the brand myself. I first ventured out by trying MTTO’s most celebrated charcoal facial scrub, which I was absolutely in love with. Next, I picked up the detoxifying facial mask, which I am going to review here.
The mask comes in MTTO’s signature packaging colors of deep purple colored plastic tube with lavender toned flip top cap. This mask is a combination of French Green clay, Kaolin white clay and Pink clay. The mask has brown color with very faint pink tinge. The fragrance is not very pleasant, as it smellsvery earthy with slightly chemical odor.
It is priced at $34 for 3.4 oz. (100 ml).
My Experience with Michael Todd Kaolin Clay Detoxifying Facial Mask:
The mask has a creamy smooth texture. It is very easy to spread the mask on the face.While the mask is on, I feel a warm tingling sensation on my skin for a minute or two after which the sensation subsides. After washing my face, I did not notice any redness or irritation on my face. However for sensitive skin, I would recommend a patch test before trying the mask on the face.
The clay mask dries up very fast within 10 minutes. I usually wash my face as soon as I feel the mask is hardening up. Washing the mask off is not an easy task. When I initially splash water on the mask to rinse it off, I feel it becomes very slimy and sticky and difficult to remove. Even after multiple attempts to remove the mask, it gets invariably stuck at nose crevices or cheeks. I usually end up using a wash cloth or toner to remove the mask from my face.
After removing the mask, my face feels very clean and free from toxins as promised by the product, but it also made my face gasping for immediate moisturization. I have dry skin and after using this mask, my face felt as if it had lost all of its hydration. The face mask would be a good product for acne prone and oily skin to remove oiliness and toxins.
The clay mask claims to replace minerals on the skin as it contains kaolin clay along with green clay and pink clay. Clay masks help in improving skin tone. I did find that my pore size was very minimal on my forehead and nose. The product recommendation that it can be used 2-3 times a week would be more suitable for oily skin. I did not find the presence of hydrating agents like Organic Aloe Vera juice and vegetable glycerin providing moisturization benefits to my skin.
This mask does act as a very good detoxifying mask as it cleans up any impurities that are on the facial skin. It is primarily targeted for blemish and acne-prone skin. I did find that it provided a very deep cleaning of my facial skin.
Pros of Michael Todd Kaolin Clay Detoxifying Facial Mask:
- Beneficial primarily for acne and oily skin type.
- Provides very good deep cleaning of the facial skin to remove oiliness and toxins from upper skin layers.
- Improves skin tone by reducing pore size.
- Mask dries very fast within 10 – 15 minutes.
- Good detoxifying clay mask containing French green clay, pink clay and Kaolin clay.
- Has a creamy smooth texture, which is very easy to apply.
Cons of Michael Todd Kaolin Clay Detoxifying Facial Mask:
- Not a very pleasant smelling mask as it has earthy-chemical odor.
- After applying the mask, the skin tingles for one or two minutes. So for sensitive skin, a patch test is recommended.
- Very dehydrating for dry skin, so could be only used once a week.
- Did not find any moisturization benefits from the organic aloe vera juice and vegetable glycerin present.
- Difficult to remove the mask after it has dried and face has to be rinsed multiple times.
- Though the brand leans towards organic base, it contains ingredients like phenoxyethanol.
- Very pricey.
Would I Repurchase Michael Todd Kaolin Clay Detoxifying Facial Mask?
I would not buy this product again as my skin did not find any replenishment with this mask. This did not fare very well for me in comparison to the Lush masks, which I have used earlier.
Michael Todd Balancing Gel Cream
Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub
Green Tea Clay Mask for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin: Do It Yourself
Khadi Mauri Clay Based Face Mask
Freeman Facial Clay Mask with Mint and Lemon
The Body Shop Seaweed Iconic Clay Mask
Aroma Magic Mineral Face Pack Detoxifying Mask
Boscia Detoxifying Black Cleanser
VLCC Diamond Detoxifying Wash Off Mask
Freeman Superfruits Detoxifying Clay Facial Mask
Alba Botanica Pore-fecting Papaya Enzyme Facial Mask