By Aarti Jayakumar
If experienced in our early twenties, greying of hair can be an embarrassment to any of us. I also suffer from it and that’s why I researched a bit on what can be done to bring back those pigments on our hair. This might take a long time, but we have to be patient till we get the results.
What is Premature Greying?
Premature greying is when hair loses its natural pigmentation at an early stage.
• Lack of nutrition
• Vitamin B , iron or copper deficiency
• Regular dyeing
Few scientists argue that premature greying has nothing to do with stress, it depends mainly upon the genes of losing melanocytes – the natural pigment. But, due to mental stress, these melanocytes may start dying and cause greying. It may be also due to hormonal imbalances related to thyroid malfunction or anemia.
From my research and personal experience, I am listing down some home remedies that may be effective to treat premature greying of hair and that could even reverse the effects.
Curry leaves not only add flavour to your diet, but also help in bringing back those lost pigments to your hair. There are few ways in which these leaves can be used:
Oil With Curry Leaves
Use this oil at night and massage into the scalp and wash off in the morning. This is how it is made:
1. Take a cup of coconut oil and hand full of curry leaves.
2. Boil until the leaves turn black.
3. Strain the leaves and store the oil.
Curry Leaves Tea
1. Boil few leaves in water.
2. Drink this hot beverage everyday to see the difference.
1. Mix henna and curry leaves in coconut oil.
2. Let it stay in sunlight for a day and start using it.
3. Leave it overnight
We do add curry leaves in our dishes, but few of us will just ignore it to the side of our plate, avoid doing this and start having them as a medicine. You can even do a 45 days treatment, but grinding the curry leaves everyday morning and having them empty stomach every morning can prevent and reverse premature greying to a great extent over a period of time.
You will need amla powder, coconut oil and fenugreek powder.
1. In 1 cup coconut oil mix one tsp of each amla powder and fenugreek powder.
2. Wait till the oil turns brown.
3. Strain and store this mixture
4. Apply it regularly, keep it overnight and wash off with mild shampoo.
If you have naturally oily hair, you can try this:
1. Take a cup of water.
2. Mix one tsp amla powder in it.
3. Boil the water till it reduces to half its quantity.
4. You should get at least three tsps of amla water.
5. Mix three tsps lemon juice with the amla water.
6. Add the required amount of this mixture to water and wash your hair with this.
1. Mix 1 tsp lemon juice with 2 tsp almond oil.
2. Massage into scalp.
3. Keep it for an hour or two or overnight, depending on your choice and wash it off with a gentle cleanser.
Combination of sesame oil, carrot juice and fenugreek powder:
1. Use one cup sesame oil and carrot juice with half cup fenugreek seed powder.
2. Leave this mixture in sunlight for 21 days and use regularly on your hair and scalp.
1. Mix coconut oil and castor oil; we know castor oil helps in hair darkening.
2. Apply evenly to hair and scalp in the night and wash off in the morning.
1. Dry a few pieces of ribbed gourd in the sun.
2. Soak them in coconut oil for about 3-4 hours.
3. Boil this till the residue becomes black.
4. Cool it down and massage with the residue.
Whichever home remedy you try, you need to wait for at least three months for the results to show up! Continuous usage of one of the above remedies and patience will surely fetch you desired results. 🙂
Premature Grey Hair– Cause and Prevention
Complete Guide To Premature Greying Of Hair
Hairstyles To Hide Grey Hair
Do-it-yourself Makeup and Beauty Tips
Vitamins for Hair Growth
Fenugreek Seed Infused Coconut Oil for Long Hair & Split Ends
Two Homemade Chemical-Free Shampoos For Shiny Hair
Glowing Skin Home Remedies
Home Remedies for Cracked Heels
Kasturi Manjal as an Effective Anti Acne Treatment
Effective Ways to Remove Perfume Smell from Clothes
Image Source: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5