Affairs with co-stars and falling into scandals are common things in B-town. When it comes to publicizing a star’s life, tabloids and shutterbugs do not miss even the slightest chance. Bollywood stars work really hard to keep their personal life guarded from the media and some have even successfully managed to keep their marriage under wrap from the public. In this post, we will take a look at 10 most surprising marriages in Bollywood.
1. Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput: The chocolate boy of Bollywood, Shahid Kapoor has been rumored to have dated several beautiful from the B-town like Vidya Balan, Sonakshi Sinha and Priyanka Chopra, but none of them lasted unfortunately. Amidst all these linkup and breakup rumors, Shahid suddenly announced his marriage with a simple girl from Delhi named Mira Rajput and it came as a bolt from the blue to the fans, crushing a lot of hearts. Shahid and Mira got married on July 7, 2015 in Delhi and welcomed their tiny princess, Misha Kapoor on August 26, 2016. This “arranged marriage” garnered a lot of attention from the shutterbugs due to which he lost a considerable part of his female fan following. The line of getting surprises doesn’t end here. To add to the icing was the huge age gap of Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput as the later was younger to him by 13-and-a-half-years! But those news were selling as hot cakes for some time. Soon after, people accepted this marriage wholeheartedly and consider it to be one of the sweetest arranged marriages of the country.
2. John Abraham and Priya Runchal: The hangover of New Year, 2014 was not yet over and there was a major surprise from Bollywood that was waiting to grace the fans. It was a huge shock to the female fans when handsome hunk John Abraham got into wedlock with an investment banker from the United States. The girl was Priya Runchal who happened to meet John through a common friend. The breakup with Bipasha Basu after a long courtship took a long time to heal and maybe that’s why he settled for a non-industry girl. This couple had met in 2010, at a gym in Bandra. They never accepted their relationship status until 2014. So, it was truly a surprise in the best sense of the word!
3. Sridevi and Boney Kapoor: This duo’s love story started on the sets of Mr. India where Boney was mesmerized by the innocence and beauty of Sridevi. But things took time to fall in place as Sridevi, being an introvert was not ready to go into any relationship. Boney Kapoor once admitted in an interview that his obsession for Sridevi grew each time he met her. The biggest barrier in their way to be together was Boney’s first marriage to Mona Kapoor with whom he had two kids. But Boney did not lose hope and kept trying to woo Sridevi. Like a pillar of strength, he stood by Sridevi in her personal lows, and also when her mother became ill. Amidst all this, Sridevi took refuge in his home during the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai. Sridevi and Boney decided to get married even though his first divorce was not yet finalized. The love-struck couple kept their marriage a secret for six months until Boney Kapoor’s divorce settlement materialized.
4. Rani Mukherji and Aditya Chopra: When the news of Rani Mukerji and Aditya Chopra’s wedding spread like wildfire, people thought it to be a publicity gimmick. The real story was something else. This couple had a low key hush-hush wedding in a close ceremony in Italy which came to be known only after the rituals got over. Yash Raj Studios in their official statement revealed details about their wedding in Italy and this news came a shock to the fans. The couple had a formal church wedding prior to their Hindu wedding. The Yash Raj scion flew in a pandit to Italy to make the leading lady of his life happy. Everything from head to toe happened in Bengali rituals for the couple and the ceremony was only restricted to close friends and family members.
5. Juhi Chawla and Jay Mehta: Juhi Chawla was enjoying the best days of her career when the sudden news of her marriage to industrialist, Jay Mehta happened. The wedding was kept a low-key affair for a long time as she always maintained the stance of being “just good friends” with Jay. But, she finally revealed her marital status when she was expecting her first child. The exact date of the wedding is not yet known but it was mostly around December 1997.
6. Hema Malini and Dharmendra: Hema Malini whose other name is the “dream girl of Bollywood” broke millions of hearts when she decided to settle down with Dharmendra. Although, Dharmendra and Hema Malini were from culturally different backgrounds but no opposition could stop them being together. However, Hema’s father was strongly against this match as Dharmendra was already married with two sons. Hema pursued her relationship with Dharmendra after her father passed away which deeply hurt the emotions of her mother. Moreover, Dharmendra’s first wife was not ready to give him a divorce, so both of them converted to Islam in order to get married. The marriage happened in a true nikah style and the lovebirds are happily living their blissful life even today.
7. Preity Zinta and Gene Goodenough: Preity Zinta, the dimpled beauty from Bollywood was going strong with her relationship with businessman Ness Wadia and everyone even thought marriage was the next step for this couple, but their love story went kaput when Ness physically abused Preity at a party. She even lodged a molestation case against Ness Wadia for threatening and abusing her. After this, the couple parted ways as reconciliation was not possible on any grounds. During early 2016, Preity Zinta was rumored to be dating Gene Goodenough, a financial analyst. Finally, Preity’s spokesperson confirmed the news of their upcoming marriage. Fans were going gaga about this wedding and Preity revealed the news on Instagram in the cutest way possible. Preity married Gene Goodenough on February 29, 2016 in Los Angeles and hosted a beautiful reception for her industry friends in Mumbai.
8. Urmila Matondkar and Mir Mohsin Akhtar: The news of wedding of Bollywood’s beloved Rangeela girl spread like wildfires to her fans! This was because, Urmila who was leading a single life for a while never spoke about getting married hence, and the news of her wedding came as a huge shock to the fans. Urmila married Mir Mohsin Akhtar, a model who was 10 years younger to her and belonged to a family of businessmen. He was the second runner-up at the Times of India, Mr. India 2007 competition and has even acted in Bollywood movies like It’s A Man’s World, Mumbai Mast Kallander, and Luck By Chance.
9. Amrita Singh and Saif Ali Khan: The Nawab of Bollywood, Saif Ali Khan was smitten with gorgeous and talented Amrita Singh post meeting her at a party. Soon after the end of the party, Amrita invited Saif to her home and Saif who accepted the offer never left her after that. Amrita was older to Saif by 12 years but when it came to their relationship, age just became a number for the duo. This age-gap created disapproval of Saif’s parents on their relationship but nothing could keep the lovers away from each other. Saif got into wedlock with Amrita on October 1991. Amrita who was at the summit of her success at that time decided to leave Bollywood in order to focus on family life. Unfortunately, this relationship could not stand the test of times and the couple felt out of love soon. 13 years later, Saif and Amrita got a highly-publicized divorce and now Saif is happily married to Bebo whereas Amrita chose not to get married again in life.
10. Nargis and Sunil Dutt: Their marriage happened during the post-partition era of India and the wedding news came as a sudden shock to the fans. People were surprised as both of them belonged to different religions. Nargis who was left heart-broken after her breakup with Raj Kapoor found solace in the arms of Sunil Dutt on the sets of “Mother India.” Their love blossomed on the sets and Nargis was drawn close towards him. Nargis even mentioned in one of her diary entries that Sunil was the reason she got the courage to live despite the mental turmoil going on in her life and she is thankful to him for that.
This couple did not make their relationship official as the film was not released yet. Only after the movie’s release and success, the two openly talked about their relationship, and got married in 1958.
That’s all, folks! Thank you for reading.