Bye Bye Dandruff! Hello Luscious Hair!
A while ago I wrote about the debacle- that was my use of Dove’s Intense Damage Therapy Shampoo and Conditioner (I would like to add though, that a LOT of my friends rave about that product!). Well, being the eternal optimist that I am, I saw an upside to that whole situation. It made me realize that I have a major issues with my scalp- it flakes, it gets oily fassst, and I waste about one-fourth of my day scratching it, when I could be doing other important things like…sleeping.
Perhaps I should have put that last sentence in past-tense, because this new product I’ve been using has set my hands free, and relieved me of the colossal task that is washing my hair every two days!
THE PRODUCT: Nizoral Shampoo. Manufactured by Johnson & Johnson, the shampoo contains 1% (also available in a 2% mixture) of Ketoconazole. Ketoconazole is an anti-fungal chemical. THE PRICE: The product retails for Rs. 100 for a 100ml bottle in India (my source is sort of dated, the product may cost more now) I bought 125ml of the product for about $10! As you can see the product is exorbitantly priced in the U.S.! Just like most other medicines I end up paying almost 5 times more (!) here than I would in India. Doesn’t this make you feel somewhat better about paying more for international cosmetics? Ok, maybe not. : P
Use: The instructions specify that the product should be used every 3-4 days for upto 8 weeks. They also suggest that you apply the product, rinse and then repeat. I use this shampoo every 3 days. I wet my hair, apply the shampoo on my scalp, rinse and then repeat. Only the second time I apply the shampoo I let it sit on my scalp for a while before I rinse it out. Ok…so here is what works and what doesn’t :
- It really works! This product started working the VERY FIRST DAY I used it. My scalp wasn’t oily, itchy, or flaky at all for upto 4 days! I decided to wash my hair on the 5th day just because it felt weird not to wash it for so long and it smelled kind of bad (I do a lot of cooking and the smell gets in my hair).
- It smells great. I not the first to jump on using a “medicated” shampoo cause pretty often I’m scared it’ll smell awful or have no smell at all. This product is great, it smells amazing and not at all medicine-y.
- I can wear black again. Ok…I know I sound like a dandruff commercial when I say this, but I have to cause its true! I don’t have any ‘snow’ falling on my shoulders anymore and don’t have to worry about some potentially embarrassing situations.
- I’m breaking out less. A lot less. I’ve noticed the oilier my head, the oilier my face and the more likely I break out. Since this product keeps my scalp fresh, I don’t break out as often.
- Another BIG PRO is that it is effective is battling hair loss. Users of the shampoo claim that the shampoo works as a great method to battle and also reverse hair loss. Pretty cool huh? There are studies that infact prove these claims. I haven’t really noticed any change in the thickness of the hair, but I’ll for at least 8 weeks before I reach my decision on that.
- The product leaves my hair very dry. I cannot even imagine just shampooing and leaving my hair as is. I HAVE to condition; I only apply the conditioner on the ends of my hair. I can tell how drying it is, because there is a dramatic difference between my roots and the rest of my hair. I also apply a hair serum on the shafts and ends of my hair following a shower.
- It contains Sodium Laureth Sulphate, and I’m pretty sure lots of it.
- It’s pretty expensive in the States. I’m really going to try and get the rest of my bottles cheaper. It’s the same formula, and I really don’t want to be paying so much more for it.
- It’s time consuming. I have a pretty hectic schedule and between letting this sit on my hair and letting my conditioner sit on my hair, I spend a lot of time in the shower. I just can’t wait for some water-proof laptop to be out, so that I can work while showering. As outrageous as my previous statement sounds, I’m dead serious about it … So Apple, Microsoft, IBM, Dell, HTC or shady Chinese imitation producer listen up!
VERDICT: If you have severe dandruff and normal shampoos (All Clear, Head and Shoulders etc.) aren’t helping you, you HAVE to use this product. If you have moderate dandruff and still want to continue using a regular shampoo, I’d say use this once a week or atleast once it two weeks. Bottom line- this works beautifully for me, after 8 weeks I plan to use it once in two weeks to keep dandruff away. Dandruff is an infection, and I should have realized earlier that it needs to be treated like that. Oh well, but it’s not too late and I am very pleased with the results! “The Freedom Will Go To You Head” Cheesy tagline…but soooo true!