Today I’m going to review the NYX Eyebrow Cake Powder in Black/Gray.
Being a glasses-wearer eyebrow powder has become an essential for me ever since I saw a video on makeup tips for glasses-wearers with Bobbi Brown (click here for video). According to Bobbi Brown, when you wear glasses it’s important to define your eyebrows in order to really call attention to your eyes. All I know is that it simply looks prettier. 🙂
Bobbi Brown says that powders are far easier than pencils, which I completely agree with. I despise eyebrow pencils; I can never get my eyebrows to look natural with them. I get thick, dark lines in the middle of my eyebrows, very unattractive. Think Groucho Marx, but scarier and on a woman.
Eyebrow powders on the other hand are super easy to use. You can blend them in to your preference and layer it on for a dramatic (yet natural, non-Groucho) look. Powders can make your brows look thicker or sharper without being overly artificial.
This eyebrow powder comes with two different colors, Black and Gray, and a wax to hold your eyebrows in place. They’ve also included an angled brush for applying the powder and a spoolie (mascara wand) for brushing brows into place.
My experience with this product has been pretty great. So far I have absolutely no complaints. The powder is quite pigmented and does the job well. My eyebrows look perfectly defined and it really does help to call attention to my eyes. The best part is, you only need a small amount for every use. I bought this around January 2012, I’ve been using it lets say every other day since, and there is still plenty of powder left. The staying power is also very good, it lasts for a good six hours.
For a miracle in a box, it only cost me $1.99 off Amazon.com; I guess it retails for about $5-6. There are a lot of online sites that are selling NYX products to India, like Urban Touch, but I haven’t seen this particular eyebrow powder there yet.
- Adds definition to your brows, making eyes look so much prettier
- Easy to use
- Versatile. Make your brows look thicker, longer, more angled, rounder, anything
- Very pigmented
- Good, natural look
- Good staying power, around six hours
- Comes with tools, no need to buy extra
- Wax holds brows perfectly in place for a long time
- You can wet the angled brush before application for a more dramatic effect
- Not easily available in India
- (keep in mind that this is only a personal opinion, none of my friends feel the same way) the wax makes my brows feel a little uncomfortable, like they’re being restrained (which I guess they are).
- Angled brush is made of plastic bristles, and isn’t very flexible (however, for $5, I’m willing to put up with that)
- I don’t have any use for the gray powder. The rule is to always match eyebrow powder to hair color, and my hair is black. Applying the gray gives a smokey effect that isn’t what I want.
Would I buy this again? Yes, absolutely!
Quick tip: How to apply NYX eyebrow powder
1. Use spoolie to brush eyebrows upwards
2. Dip the angled brush in the wax and set eyebrows into place going in an upwards direction(I usually skip this step)
3. Dip the angled brush into the powder. You can use a combination of the powders to match your hair color. Now brush the powder onto your eyebrows.
4. Don’t worry about any mistakes. Take a Q-tip with a tiny amount of makeup remover and swipe it around your eyebrows to pick up any unwanted pigment.
5. Use the spoolie a final time to brush brows into place.
NYX Eyeshadow Trio in Copper/ Rust/ Bronze Review
NYX Triple Eyeshadows in Purple/Deep Purple/Prune (TS06)
NYX Eyeshadow Trio TS24 Shimmer/Peach/Copper Review
NYX Concealer in a Jar – Orange and Yellow
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Black Bean
NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream Antwerp, Addis Ababa Photos, Swatches
NYX Box of Smokey Look Collection (S114)
NYX Studio Perfect Primer
NYX Lip Creams in Stockholm and Tokyo
NYX Powder Blush Pinched Review, Swatch
NYX Blushes and Lipsticks
NYX Rouge Cream Blush Review – Natural
NYX Blush Mocha Review, Photos, Swatches
NYX Chrome Eye Shadow Mink, Seclude Review, Photos, Swatch
Rouge Cream Blush in Boho Chic
Doll Eye Mascara Volume