As people are increasingly spending more time at their workplace, it has become clear that the office environment plays a vital role in a person’s physical and mental well being. With protracted working hours that go beyond the typical 9-to-5 routine, indulgence in high-calorie, processed snacks along with limited physical activity and increased stress – office environment serves as the perfect setup for weight gain and lifestyle-related diseases. During office hours, when you feel hungry or low on energy, it can be difficult to focus and give one’s best performance. Snacks can provide a quick and easy source of energy to keep us fuelled throughout the day. That’s why instead of relying vending machine options or fast food, consuming nutritious snacks would be so good for health and overall well being. In fact, for individuals trying to lose weight, working with a full-time job at the office, it can be quite challenging when there are tempting, high-calorie snacks readily available – at vending machines and also through friendly colleagues who love sharing food. However, fret not! In this article, we list out 7 office snacks that support weight loss.
1. Jowar Puffs: These puffs are a low-calorie and nutritious snack option, rich in fiber, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals, making them a healthy option for individuals looking to manage their weight. Jowar puffs are made from jowar (sorghum), in a process similar to the way popcorns are popped.
2. Roasted Makhana: If you’re looking for a healthy snack that won’t derail your diet, consider makhana. This nutritious snack is low in calories, with no fat content. It’s also an excellent source of protein, which helps with weight loss by keeping you feeling full and burning more calories throughout the day. You can dry roast makhana without any oil, adding just a pinch of pepper powder for flavor. Alternatively, you can try roasting them in ghee, coconut oil, or olive oil, which contain healthy fats that support weight loss and make for a delicious, low-calorie snack that’s perfect for those on a calorie-deficit diet.
3. Roasted Chickpeas: They are a good source of protein, fiber, and complex carbs, which can help you feel full and satisfied for longer periods, and hence makes them an ideal snack for those trying to manage their hunger and trying to lose weight. Roasting chickpeas also brings out their nutty flavor and creates a satisfying crunch that we all love! Also read: “10 Roasted Things To Have As Snacks For Weight Loss.”
4. Homemade Protein Bars: While store-bought protein bars may be marketed as healthy, they often contain added sugar, artificial flavors, emulsifiers, and preservatives. One solution is to make your own energy bars at home using simple, wholesome ingredients. Here’s one recipe to make your own bar – start by roasting half a cup of rolled oats and a few de-seeded dates. Then, mix in 4 tablespoons of peanut butter, nuts like almonds, walnuts, seeds like pumpkin and sunflower, and shape the mixture into bars or ladoos. These homemade energy bars are a great option for snacking whenever you feel that your energy is dipping in the office, you can have them!
5. Baked Khakra: It can be a healthy snack option when it’s made with whole grain flour, chickpea or millet flours (like bajra, ragi, jowar, etc.), with no added fat or sugar. Crunchy baked khakras taste absolutely delicious when paired with dips such as hummus and salsa.
6. Salted Almonds: Salted almonds can be a healthy and satisfying snack option for individuals looking to lose weight because almonds are a good source of protein and fiber, which can help you feel fuller for longer periods of time. This can help prevent overeating and reduce overall calorie intake. Also, the healthy fats also improve satiety. Almonds also have a low glycemic index and they won’t cause a spike in blood sugar levels like high-carb snacks would, hence supporting weight loss.
7. Trail Mix: Made from adding tiny portions of raw nuts, seeds, dry fruits, coconut flakes, roasted chickpeas, popcorn, dark chocolate chips, dry figs, banana chips, etc. – trail mix is a highly nutritious snack that you can put together in minutes, have it anytime and carry anywhere, even during travel, and eat guilt free. You can pack it up for office and kid’s lunch box as well. The best thing about trail mix is there’s no cooking involved! Another benefit is that you can always mix and match, and pick the ingredients that are easily available and suit you the best. A well-put together trail mix (preferably homemade) can keep you full for longer, rich in protein, healthy fats, essential minerals – all of which help to burn fat and boost weight loss, set the fat-burning furnace on fire. You can add simple yet ingredients like and popcorn and makhana to make the trail mix interesting as well.
Summing up, instead of reaching for high-calorie, processed snacks when you are feeling hungry, opt for the above-mentioned ones that are high in nutrients, and which can help you feel fuller for longer periods of time. Also, remember to be mindful of how much you are eating and practice portion control. It’s easy to mindlessly snack while working, so try pre-portioning your snacks or keeping track of your intake. Most importantly, if weight loss is on your mind, subscribe to the Rati Beauty app which is designed to provide safe and effective diet plans that promote weight loss without extreme calorie restriction or other unhealthy practices.