All You Need To Know About Oil Cleansing Method
You might be wondering what this cleansing method is all about! To be very precise, the Oil Cleansing Method, which is often shortened as OCM, is a beauty treatment that incorporates the method of cleaning your face with oil. Normally, 1/5 part of castor oil is mixed with 4/5 part of olive oil (extra virgin). This ratio however tends to change based on your skin type. It is a wonderful way of cleaning your skin from impurities without stripped the natural oils.
Things You Would Need
You would require hot water, a piece of wash cloth and the right blend of oil. The blend generally depends upon the kind of skin you have. Here is an idea for you to create the right blend:
1. If your skin type is dry, you need to blend 90% olive oil with 10% castor oil.
2. If your skin is oily, you would have to mix 70% castor oil with 30% olive oil.
3. For balanced skin type, the standard proportion is 20% castor oil and 80% olive oil.
While castor oil should remain constant, olive oil can be substituted with coconut oil, sunflower seed oil or jojoba oil.
Oil Cleansing Method In Ten Easy Steps:
1. Blend the oil as per the demands of your skin.
2. Keep hot water ready in a basin or by setting the sink button accordingly because you would need steam to be produced in course of the oil cleansing method.
3. Put some oil on your palms and rub it to make it warm.
4. Now, apply it on your face smoothly.
5. Massage with circular motions till your face is almost saturated with oil.
6. Now the wash cloth should be taken and soaked in the hot water.
7. Place the warm cloth on your face and rest awhile. Leave it on till the cloth cools.
8. Repeat this step again.
9. Wipe your face gently with the wash cloth for removing oil from your face.
10. If your face feels oily still, splash some warm water on your face. Pat dry. If the pores on your face feel dry, a drop of the oil blend can be massaged into your facial skin. Do not scrub!
Oil Cleansing Method: The Procedure Explained
• Why oil for cleansing? There is a theory behind this treatment. Many people are afraid of applying oil on face. However, cysts, acnes, pimples and blackheads are formed not just because of excess oil; various other factors like hormonal changes, accumulation of dead skin cells and bacteria contribute to these facial problems. But, when soap is used for the cleaning the face, it robs the skin of essential natural oils. Automatically, the skin feels dry and in due course, the oil production is further boosted. On the other hand, when oil is used to clean the skin, the skin remains in a balanced condition while every kind of impurity is done away with. The oil that has hardened with dust particles deep within your skin pores comes out easily when you massage your skin with oil. This prevents blemishes and pimples while giving you a glowing and beautiful skin. You need not fear of excess oil deposits on face after an oil cleaning method. The warm water and the cloth dipped in hot water would remove it completely.
• About the oil-blend: Castor oil is known to possess anti-inflammatory and healing properties. This thick oil with excellent cleansing properties should however not be used in larger quantities. It needs to be diluted with an oil that has a thin consistency. Both olive oil and sunflower seed oil are great for massage and relieving unnecessary dryness.
• The steam: It helps in opening the pores. Thus, it becomes easy to remove the impurities and hardened deposits of oils.
Oil Skin Cleansing Method Tips And Benefits:
• You need not wash your face with face wash or soap before this method. The method itself is designed for cleansing.
• It is very effective for make up removal as well.
• It is a cost effective option and absolutely safe.
• Try to relax while you massage your face. Practice deep breathing. Keep your mind calm.
• Do it regularly but definitely not too often.
• If your skin feels very oily after you do it initially, it is because the pores are being cleaned of excess congested oil that had accumulated all these days. This will be fine once the pores are cleaned.
Avon Naturals Skin Care : Cleanser, Toner, Face Mask
Oil Skin Cleansers: How to Make Olive Oil Cleanser at Home
Avon Clearskin Foaming Cream Cleanser
Vichy Normaderm Purifying skin cleansing gel Review
VLCC Skin Defense Sandal Cleansing Milk & Rose Water Toner Review
Clarisonic Mia Skin Cleansing System – Pink
Skin Cleansing Regime with Milk Cream
Cleansing, Toning and Moisturizing with AromaMagic
Oriflame Aloe Cleansing Pads Review
Fab India Lavender Cleansing Milk Review
Nivea Visage Refreshing Cleansing Milk
Kaya Soothing Cleansing Gel
Himalaya Cleansing Milk
66 thoughts on “Oil Skin Cleansing Methods”
Very informative article Somreeta..I have been using this technique on my own, oblivious of knowing its name.. 😛 But I usually use a cleansing oil instead of making oil concoction the way you’ve described here….Excellent article!!!! :waytogo:
Lol Cali! :lol2: :lol2: hope u can tell people around wat u have been doing so long to cleanse your skin :makeup:
hawww cali same. :silly: i have been doing it so often because it really calms my dry skin. and i didnt even know what it was called. :headbang: somreeta :worship: :worship:
wow Rati! u too same to same as Cali?Thanx to me then :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :specs: :specs:
i know… :jaiho:
he he he…I’ve been doing it since quite a long time now Som….I guess I started using this technique when I was in college..the climate in Rajasthan used to make my skin maddddddd..so I used this technique to calm it down..and its a good stress buster too!! 😀
:woot: :woot: dint think abt the stress buster aspect though!
great article . I feel like trying this but at present I have the problem of 1 big pimple on my face which is not healing . So will wait to get rid of that first
Thanx Monika! Yes, u can do that, but then, this particular method of using oil on face is going to prevent acnes, blemishes and pimples, much contrary to wat it might seem apparently! 😉
yup I read this. Do u think I shud try this with an unhealed pimple on my face? Will it help ?
I think u wait till its healed..coz natural methods always take time to show results 😉
okie thanks dear 🙂
very nice..shall do it today itself. The castor oil I have is the small orange bottle that i picked up from a grocery store. slightly scented. will this work?
Its always advisable to use pure castor oil which is pale yellow in color, generally odorless (gets a bad odor wen kept for long) and which is very thick and sticky! if it is scented well, it might have some additives..check it on the bottle Aruna and use it accordingly 🙂
I use this many times in a month, once a week, but I use mixture of pure almond oil and olive oil, that I had bought from Ooty! So even I like this way of cleansing, it makes my skin so soft na!
Okay! dats great Taps 🙂 but since both olive oil and almond oil have thin consistency, does the mixture cleanse properly? ..coz u generally need a thick sticky oil along with a thinner one to cleanse :haanji: the method is so easy and effective..right Taps?
Yesss dear, it is very easy and effective for me, I love it very much, so you suggest castor oil? I have it will do that then, thanks a lot, accept my add request on facebook, ok?
Yes! I just did that 🙂 browsing through ur pics :handshake:
I still shudder with the thot of putting oil on my skin caz i have oily acne prone skin : :tremble: :tremble: :tremble:
Umm…Shivani, see the section ‘Why oil for cleansing?’..im sure u will not get afraid anymore 🙂
I have to conjure strength for this Somreeta, have been suffereing from acne since last 9 years 😥 and ya, u write on really good topics, i prefer only herbal preparations on my face n body n thru ur articles keep getting to know them better. keep up the good work. :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:
Thanx so much Shivani :puchhi: :puchhi: BTW, see what LP has to say! she too has oily skin 🙂 muster the courage to do it and ya, dont get frightened if your skin feels very oily after you do it initially.dat wil go with time 🙂
:kissed: :kissed: :kissed: :kissed: :kissed: oh ya….LP has given me the strength, will try it now :makeup: :makeup:
all the best Shivani :waytogo:
I do oil cleansing at the end of everyday to remove makeup and dirt. I feel too lazy to mix oils so I just use olive or castor or J&J baby oil. Its perfect and prevents blackheads, and since my skin is oily it moisturises my skin enough that I dont need a night moisturizer :haanji: :haanji: :haanji:
Dats Great LP..i dont do it quite often but definitely once a month! 🙂
thats nice. me have oily skin too so its good to hear that it works well on oily skin too.
oh yeah it does Aruna, I was worried I would break out. Apparently the oil molecules in olive and castor oil are too big to clog your pores but you need to make sure you clean out the oil and dirt properly with the wash cloth or the dirt could clog your pores. I sometimes feel paranoid that I havnt cleaned completely and end up washing with a light cleanser afterwards. Acne prone skin is so hard to take care of :waaa: :waaa: :waaa:
Thank you so much for this article Somretta! I used to massage my face with olive oil earlier but never tried this cleansing method. Will do it today itself but I need to buy Castor oil first 😛
:thanks: Sure thing Ankita! Castor oil has immense benefits…cheap but soooooooo good!
Somreeta I use castor oil to massage my hair, I dilute that with almond oil and massage, then my hair becomes sooo black!!!
Ya..I used to do that as well..and i mixed olive oil too with castor and almond oil..but of late, since im suffering from dat killer dandruff and i have oily scalp, i refrain from using any kind of oil now. any oil application triggers so much hair loss :headbang:
Somreeta Use aroma magic anti dandruff oil, one of my cousin used it and doesnt complain dandruff any more!
🙁 But I think just coconut oil helps in softening the dandruff flakes and then they get removed easily on washing. For home remedy- try methi, its really good otherwise use a Selenium sulphide shampoo- its the most effective thing I’ve come across till now for dandruff. It stinks like hell but its really good!
Ya Ankita methi is the best, even I had dandruff, and now am relieved by using methi lemon paste! :thumbsup:
umm………wil try dat Taps! Ankita, coconut oil has not helped! actually, any oil base is a no-no for my scalp at present. Have tried methi with lemon juice..but its so difficult to remove from scalp..the crushed methi after soaking i mean…is methi powder good?
Add very less methi and more water and grind it, then you wont have problem, and yes after using methi dont forget to use mild shampoo to remove stickiness due to methi, and yes methi powder is good, if you have food processer, then grind the methi seeds in to fine powder and then use!
yeah Taps! I think last time added quite a lot of methi..dat created the prob :waaa:
oh i have heard a lot about this technique, but never tried..me scared….. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
After using this technique if you steam na, no clogging pores , no pimples, me tried this amazing!
oh thnkx tapaswini… me try then 🙂
Go ahead Nupur!
I like all your post Somreeta. The methods you mention are very natural, easy and accessible. Keep it up. :waytogo:
Thankuuuuuuu Kaps! Glad dat u lik them :pompom: try to keep it simple coz we lazy people wil never do something dats rathr hectic 😛
Awesome ya..m trying aaj ghar jake! Finally saturday aane wala hai!! Day for pampering :yahoo:
Hope u like it Sukanya 🙂
:thanks: Somreeta!! I’m trying this today itself….. :-*
do lemme know how u lik it aditi 🙂
i prefer to stay miles away from oils and oily preparations for my skin…but somehow i am convinced to try this one 🙂
thnx somreeta 🙂
awwwww…..even me Shaili! i too have oily skin type…but it suits me 🙂
i have an oil mine under my skin .. but this oil cleansing method does work. its not something i do everyday, but more like once or twice a week and it does clean your skin up. i can skip a clean up or two if i do this regularly..
ya..it works well for oily skin..really!
me going to try this by today………. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :thanks:
hope u like dat Sim…
Somreeta I tried this method used castor oil and almond oil concotion, made my skin very smooth! :makeup: :makeup: :makeup: :thanks: :thanks: :thumbsup:
i tried this method with castor-olive oil..din’t suit me i had zits ..not for oily skinned sensitive skin beauties ?
i’ll try again maybe well acne heals ..with ur suggest almond and olive oil
Great Taps Im so happy dat it worked and u actually let me know
Hope your mood is ok now !!! :puchhi: :puchhi:
trying to be ok Taps…..will take time..but then, trying hard to divert my attention and do stuffs.. thanx dear :puchhi:
anything serious somreeta? 🙂
Hi Rati, I lost my grandma on June 25.. i was very close to her….having a tough time taking control over my emotions and also, its difficult to see my mom suffer like this after losing her mom….i know its a part of life and everyone has to face this at one point or the other, but the grief after losing your dear ones is always something that u feel anew..no matter how many times you witness death of a family or a friend…every time it wrecks u from within in a whole new way….!
somreeta, sorry to hear about that. 🙁 I can totally relate to what you are saying. I have lost my grandparents myself and I know the pain. This is one reality I have tough time accepting. 🙁
My condolences on your grandmother’s passing away. Take care of yourself and your mum. *hugs*
Thanks Rati…. All I wish for now is that she may live happily with my dadu now after 6 years…..!