Hey Everyone and Happy New Year!
Lately, I have been trying to use as many natural and organic products and cosmetics as is possible. In fact, this is one of my main resolutions this year! While I’m still far from replacing every chemical-laden product in my vanity with natural beauty products (it’s been particularly hard to say “Adios!” to MAC lipsticks), I have slowly been using more and more natural products every year. Origins’ Mega Mushroom Cream is an absolute favorite natural product of mine. It’s good for my skin, for the earth and society (not so good for my wallet!) why? Read on to find out 🙂
Product Background and Description:
Created by Dr. Andrew Weil, Mega Mushroom Cream is sold and distributed by Origins, a popular natural cosmetics retailer. Weil, a Harvard-trained medical doctor, is a well-known advocate of Ayurveda in the West. Supercool right? Through his holistic approach to medicine, he has created a number of products that use the best natural ingredients. What’s even more awesome is that Weil donates all after-tax profits from his products to his foundation that does research on integrative medicine.
Key Ingredients and Description:
According to the Origins website, “This remarkable hydrating cream instantly calms skin. Visibly reduces redness and sensitivity, optimizes skin’s defenses to help prevent potential future damage. Great for sensitive and reactive skin.” The cream’s key ingredients are: Tonic Mushrooms, Sea Buckhorn, Ginger and Turmeric.
The cream is pretty thick, but melts as soon as it touches the skin. I think the company recently changed its formula, because it used to have a slight yellow tinge to it and now it’s white. It has a pretty strong “earthy” smell, which I love, but can be annoying if you don’t like ayurvedic-type smells.
$61 or roughly Rs. 3000 for a 1.7 oz jar at Sephora and Origins stores and websites.
My Experience with Origins Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Soothing Face Cream:
I guess my skin can best be described as combination and acne-prone. My nose gets super-oily, while my chin and area around the eyes are always dry. So, it’s safe to say, that I have a hard time finding products that provide hydration, control break outs AND stop my nose from getting shiny like Rudolph!
My skin was in pretty bad shape the first time I used this cream. I had just tried a new foundation which made me break out like crazy. I had been treating the breakout with a harsh salicylic acid gel, which left me with dry spots everywhere. I put this cream on at night rather reluctantly. It didn’t make sense to apply a thick cream over my already-clogged pores, but was I in for a surprise. I woke up the next morning to calmer skin. The cream significantly reduced the size of the breakouts and a lot of the redness. But what it did best was hydrate my skin – my skin felt plump and soft, like it used to be when I was 12! Needless to say, I have been hooked to this cream ever since!
Over the past few months, I’ve found that this cream is great for me as it targets all my skin woes. I wear it most mornings and nights, although I’m trying to include new products in my regimen because I go through these jars pretty quick! I find that the cream has also slowly been lightening old acne scars and brightening up my face.
Pros of Origins Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Soothing Face Cream:
- Heals pimples and hydrates skin. This doesn’t have any anti-acne ingredients, per se, but it really makes the zits disappear fast without drying the skin out!
- I find the earthy smell very comforting.
- Absorbs quickly.
- Works instantly. You can see the results after wearing it overnight.
- Makes a great foundation primer. My makeup just glides on after I have used this.
- Safe to use around the eyes. Doesn’t make the eyes water, gentle enough for thin skin.
- Lightens dark spots. The ingredients in this lighten acne scars and make skin more radiant.
Cons of Origins Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Soothing Face Cream:
- Expensive. I won’t lie, I go through these way too quick. According to the SA, one jar should last about 3 months, which according to me isn’t true. I go through a jar in about 3 weeks, tops. I think someone with a normal skin type would go through a jar each month.
- Why the jar, Dr. Weil! I’m too lazy and un-ladylike to use a spatula to get my cream out of the jar. I do realize that the jar is unhygienic and a potential breeding ground for bacteria. I wish they would package it differently.
Get this if you’re looking for a one-step solution to multiple skin woes. Yes, it’s a little pricey, but the money goes to a really good cause and what better cause than great skin.
Erth Origins Coconut & Almond Hot Oil Cream
CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume Mega Volume Mascara
Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Lotion
Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray Thirsty Skin Relief
Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Cream with Cooling Menthol
The Body Shop Aloe Soothing Night Cream
Kaya Soothing Cleansing Gel
Neutrogena Oil – Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Cleanser
Jergens Soothing Aloe Relief Moisturizer