Pictures speak a thousand words!!! Maybe that’s why Rati demands at least 3 of them per IMBB article… IMBB is turning out to be the Wikipedia of Indian makeup thanks to all you beauties. Since we are talking about makeup, the colour and finish are of utmost importance. That makes it so very important to ensure that the pictures are good. When I was trying to the articles for IMBB, I realised that taking pictures can be tricky. Do some of you feel that as well? If you don’t, please let in your secrets…. If you do, read on…
I do read a lot of beauty and fashion blogs (and cooking, lifestyle, fiction, travel too… well, lets just say I read a lot of blogs!) and the ones with good images are definitely more attractive. So here are the things I have learnt from reading and experiencing –
1. Lighting. Lighting. Lighting!!! It is the most important thing… all of us faced a situation when our gorgeous eyeshadows get all washed out in the pictures. 🙁 Blame poor lighting for that. Do try and take your photos in natural light. But do not stand in the direct path of sunlight. That will change the pictures too.
2. If natural lighting is not possible, switch on all the tubes and lamps around and take the pic without flash. You’d get closer to reality pictures. Flashes will definitely alter the colours.
3. Most digital cameras allow us to choose White Balance. This will auto compensate for changes caused by artificial lighting. This is a pretty simple setting and allows us to choose white light for tubes / CFLs or yellow light for halogen lamps. Selecting the proper light balance will allow a better representation of colour and finish. I try and click a pic with auto White Balance and then another with manual setting. The difference is apparent!
4. Always take 3-4 pictures of the same thing. This is the great thing abt digicams ☺ you can take multiple shots and delete the unwanted ones. Unlike the film cameras where every shot would use up a portion of the film and we used to be frugal with it! I digress… multiple shots wud take care of problems like shake (not all of us have very steady hands) and loss of focus.
5. Use the Macro mode. Now this too is a feature common to most digi cams these days and is very easy to use. Macro mode tells the cam that we are trying to click a small object and the cam focuses accordingly. A great feature to use for clicking that tube of lipstick or the intricate nail art pattern you spent the afternoon on. The macro mode will focus on the detail and blur the background. This will not distract away from the hero of your pic.
6. Try and give an idea of the size of packaging if you can. I noticed that some beauty bloggers always do it. They generally add a coin (I used this trick 😉 ) or a scale next to the product. This is good if you want to draw attention to how small or big the packaging is.
7. Self portraits are tough to do. Clicking our face while holding the cam in one hand can result in some awkward angles. Isn’t it frustrating when you look all pretty with the makeup but your nose ends up looking huge because of the way the cam is held? See if you can use the self timer. You can pose and preen all you want!! Better still, get someone to take your pic… 😉
8. Avoid cellphone pictures if you can! Now I know we don’t always have a digicam handy and the cell phone camera proves a great help at such times. But if you are getting ready for a party or trying a new look at home, do get your digicam. There is a vast difference in the quality of photographs. Digital cameras will capture a much finer detail compared to your cell phones. Even if you use a high end camera phone the 5mp or 8mp ones, the results from a camera wud be better because cams will have better lenses.
9. This one is for Rati and Sanjeev to decide! If we send large size pictures to them, they can post smaller versions in the post but when clicked, the larger versions can be seen. This would be specially good for eye makeup pictures.
10. And lastly, have fun clicking the pictures… smile, pout, preen or twirl… coz you’ve had fun with your makeup 😀