If you follow the diet routines of healthy people, you must have noticed that there’s a lot of mention about ragi or nachni roti. Ragi is popularly called as finger millet in the west. We often wonder why ragi is not yet categorized into “superfoods” bracket when it has so much nutrition packed into those tiny grains. When compared to wheat rotis, health experts give bonus points to ragi because of its considerable nutritional value and health benefits. The most important feature about ragi is that it is gluten free and a great source of calcium, so it’s a good choice for people who are gluten and lactose intolerant. With its low glycemic index, it does not cause sharp spike in blood sugar levels and that’s why a good choice for diabetics as well. But we know that our readers out here are eager to know how ragi roti helps with weight loss when compared to wheat roti, so let’s find out 😛
Why is Ragi better than Wheat for Weight Loss?
- Rich source of fiber compared to wheat, keeps you satiated for long.
- Reduces appetite due to the presence of an amino acid called tryptophan.
- Gluten free.
- Often not polished, so retains all its nutrients and a much healthier grain when compared to wheat.
- Low fat content compared to wheat.
- Stabilizes blood sugar, no sharp spike in insulin levels.
- Lowers cholesterol level.
- Rich source of iron.
- Good source of protein, and as we all know, a protein-rich diet can accelerate weight loss process. Read how a Protein-Rich Diet Can Help you Lose Weight here.
- Helps to lower anxiety and stress levels, which in turns lowers cortisol. Low levels of cortisol prevents weight gain.
Nutritional Value of Ragi:
- Protein 7.3%
- Fat 1.3%
- Crude fiber 3.6%
- Starch 59%
- Total dietary fiber 19.1%
- Total phenol 102
Calories in Ragi Roti vs Calories in Wheat Roti:
One ragi roti has 64 calories and one wheat roti has up to 104 calories.
Is Ragi and Nachni the same?
Yes, they are the same, ragi is also called finger millet.
So, we have our verdict out, ragi roti is way better than wheat roti for weight loss.