Everything glows on a beautiful skin and nothing on a bad one. Today the market is full of skin care products and you can find countless products for one single problem. Some of them work and some of them don’t. The reason being simple, the ingredients in them are responsible for it.
One day I was surfing the net to find some anti ageing products that seriously work. Because I have a fairly decent skin with no lines and wrinkles and I do not want to go in for cosmetic procedures later I wanted something which could delay ageing for me. So in this quest I found that one thing that was common in all the products was ‘Retinol’. This made me curious to find out what exactly it is and how is it beneficial. Here is what I found out:
What is Retinol?
Retinol is a fat-soluble vitamin which occurs naturally and is found in animal products such as fish oils and liver. Retinol is easily absorbed by the skin which in turn promotes new cell growth and improves acne, wrinkles, blemishes and various other skin problems.
Retinol is a very effective anti oxidant and is used in variety of skin care products particularly the anti-ageing ones. Regular use of retinol, under the supervision of a physician, can improve the appearance of skin.
Retinol is available in different forms to suit the needs of different individuals. Some of them are:
• Retinol cream: These are the best options for people with dry skin. The basic problem with a retinol cream is that is becomes useless after a prolonged exposure to air and sunlight. Always look for retinol creams that are in a container which does not allow air and light to come in contact with the product.
• Retinol lotion: A lotion is thinner than cream and is easily absorbed by our skin which makes it an ideal option for people with normal to oily skin.
• Retinol serum: A serum is lighter than lotion which enables the people with much oily skin to use it without any hassles. People with sensitive skin should try out creams or lotion before laying their hands on a serum.
• Retinol capsules: Retinol inside a capsule is very effective.
• Retinol eye creams: One should always do a sensitivity test before applying retinol eye creams. Make your skin accustomed to retinol before applying it on a sensitive area.
Some points on using retinol creams:
• Higher percentage of retinol in a product may cause some side effects such as redness, flaking, peeling and dryness. So it is always advised to check retinol concentration in a cream.
• Retinol alone is not a magical stuff that will erase all your wrinkles overnight. Look for ingredients like glycolic acids and hydroxy acids which work well in combination with retinol and make it more effective.
• Regular use of retinol creams increases skin sensitivity. Always use a sunscreen before going out in the sun. So if you already sensitive skin keep this in mind before buying any such thing from the counters.
• Avoid using creams with higher concentration of retinol near your mouth and the eye area.
• Pregnant women should not use retinol creams as they can cause birth defects.
• In case your skin has been burned due to the overdose of retinol soak a towel in cold water and put it on your face for 5 minutes.
• Avoid using cosmetics until the area has been properly healed.
Which is the best anti-ageing product you have ever tried?
How to Reduce Facial Wrinkles
Daily Skin Care Regimen for Working Women
Blemishes– Causes & Skin Care
Dry Skin Care: Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Facial Exercises for Removing Wrinkles
Skin Products for Blemishes
Do Fairness Creams Really Work?
Anti Aging Homemade Face Pack
Anti Aging Skin Home Remedies