Some of us are born with beautiful and healthy hair and continue having the same throughout our lives while there’s a different category of women who are not blessed with naturally beautiful hair but they can surely work towards attaining the same. Finally, there’s a bunch of unlucky women constitute the third category. The women who fall into this category are born with beautiful hair but tend to lose their lovely locks due to pollution, health conditions, side effects of medicines or some other unfortunate factor! In this article, we would like to list down 12 rules to follow for healthy hair:
12 Rules for Healthy Hair:
1. Keep it clean: Healthy hair can be achieved only through clean hair and scalp. Use a shampoo that suits your hair type, does a decent cleansing job. If you are an outdoor sort of a person, you should use a mild shampoo twice or thrice in a week. The best shampoo is one which contains no SLS, SLES, silicones and unwanted chemicals to ensure that you do not damage the health of your hair while removing impurities. You may also make your own homemade shampoo. Follow up with a good quality conditioner. You may also use homemade conditioners and hair rinses.
2. Keep it nourished: Natural oils like coconut, avocado, olive, argan oils nourish your hair in the most convenient way possible. Use coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil and castor oil, either individually or after mixing a few of them together.
3. Use natural Hair Packs: Use nourishing hair packs to maintain the health of your hair. Use eggs, bananas, curd, honey, amla powder, shikakai powder etc for preparing a suitable hair mask. This article has 20 Homemade Hair Masks that you can try. Also, henna hair packs provide nourishment to hair, imparts a subtle color to hair, and at the same time, covers grey hair to a good extent. Often I mix henna powder with lemon juice, curd and eggs.
4. Treat hair problems from the roots: Hair problems are related to some root causes. If it is dandruff, treat the problem. If it is about iron deficiency, consult doctor to get your supplements.
5. Healthy hair is also about healthy scalp: Oils like olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil are great for your hair. Massage hair oil on scalp to promote blood circulation, prevent hair loss, offer nourishment to hair roots and relive dryness.
6. Supply Nutrients to your Hair: Sulphur promotes hair health, use onion juice on the scalp to promote hair growth. Amla juice contains every possible nutrient that your hair and scalp needs and at the same time, it keeps scalp free from oil. Use amla juice or onion juice directly on scalp. Lemon juice is also great for scalp.
7. Use Hair Products Taking into Consideration your Hair Type: Advertisements often tend to misguide you. Do not believe blindly what every product claims, make sure that you invest in a product that suits you, and not the brand ambassador in the advertisement. For instance, if you have dry hair, use shampoo and conditioner meant for dry hair because that will help to relieve dryness and give your hair a smoother appearance.
8. Follow a Healthy diet for Lovely Hair: Eat healthy to get healthy locks. Include proteins, vitamins, iron and minerals in the right way. Make it a point to include vitamin-C rich food like amla, 4 or 5 almonds, 3 or 4 cashews, 2 or 3 dates, two spoons of honey, a fruit, an egg into your daily diet. Drinking lots of water is also equally important.
9. Keep Hair away from Excessive Heat: Heating, curling, straightening, perming, coloring and bleaching can damage hair and their use should be limited. Pollution, UV rays can also damage hair, protect your hair with a cap or scarf while going out.
10. Supplements are good: Although, it is always great if you can get your dose of nutrients through food, it may be a necessity for you to add some vitamin, iron or cod-liver supplements. Always go for doctor’s advice before going for any of these supplements.
11. Treating your hair right: Treat your hair the way it deserves. Be gentle and follow some simple tips. I feel one should avoid things like combing wet hair when hair roots are weak, leaving hair open while going to bed as that makes hair more prone to tangles and split-ends, over combing of hair and skipping shampooing hair for a long time.
12. Clear Product Buildup: Residue from your shampoos, conditioners, and other haircare products can create buildup on the scalp and change the pH, leading to hair problems such as hair fall. Clear product buildup at frequent intervals with this homemade hair rinse.
Hair care is not something you should be doing once in a blue moon. Be regular in your approach. Clean your hair with mild shampoo, nourish hair with oils, apply amla juice/onion juice once a week, and hair pack once in two weeks. Healthy hair is something you acquire. Whether you wear your hair long or short, have it thick or thin, shiny or not so shiny, it is important that your hair is healthy, without dandruff and other hair issues. Healthy hair is beautiful hair.