Shopping Tips for Sale Season
It’s that time again!!! That magical time when our hearts skip with joy and our collective adrenaline shoots through the roof!! Its SALE time!!!
Yup, all the major stores and brands are beginning to put up their sale signs and its time for us to pull up our sleeves, grab our handbags and hit the malls! Wait, we’ve done this before and we bought lots of stuff and it made us so happy, for a while. Then, we realized that a shirt didn’t really fit right, or that we can’t stand the print of the kurta we got free with the other one, or that the new heels, though glamorous can’t be worn for more than 5 minutes, or that the zipper of the new bag isn’t working or….
Well, that’s the curse of sale shopping. It does make us feel elated that our hard-earned money can go longer during sales, but it’s a double-edged sword that can make us buy useless stuff to clutter our wardrobes. The result, no space in the said wardrobe, still nothing good to wear, lots of money down the drain, and heaps of buyer’s remorse.
But, that’s a thing of the past, ladies! Here are some pointers that’ll help you get through this season smiling and with bags full of classy, stylish and good quality stuff.
First up, shopping prep:
1. Go through your wardrobe and make a list of what you actually need. Believe me, half your guilt ends here. This is also a good time to purge.
2. Set a budget for the list made above.
3. Have a light meal before you start and carry a bottle of water to sip throughout.
4. Leave husband/partner/boyfriend/kids at home. This is non-negotiable.
5. Wear comfortable clothes. A top that can be easily removed, easy slip on footwear (avoid heels unless you’re planning to buy clothes that will be worn with heels), simple studs on ears and very, very light makeup.
6. Right innerwear – can’t emphasize this enough. Wear your best fitting bra and a camisole. That way, you can get the fit and look of sheer tops right.
7. Keep a comb in your handbag so that you don’t look like this every time you leave the trial room.
Ok, now while shopping:
1. Take a deep breath before entering the store and head straight towards the items on your list. Start trying them on. (Look down for trial room tips).
2. Do not be swayed by the buy one get one offer. You’ll usually end up picking something you hate just because it’s free.
3. Ensure it’s not something similar to what you already own. Be brutal with regards to fitting and quality. You are worth it.
4. Ask yourself if you can build at least 3 outfits around that item with stuff you already own. No? Put it down, honey.
5. Have a look around the entire store. You might just spot that lovely pair of boots that would complete so many looks.
6. Check the return/exchange policy. It’s different during the sales, so make sure of it.
7. Before heading towards the cashier, look into your shopping bag again. Do you really want that stole or are you picking it up just because it’s marked down? This is your chance to filter and make sure you pick up only what you love.
Trial Room Tips:
1. Tops – Put your arms up and down, up and down. Cross your arms. Push your chest out and check the buttons on the front.
2. Pants/Trousers – Sit on a chair, cross legs, stand up and bend down to pick something off the floor. Check if your top will ride up to show your underwear. Which is not a good thing.
3. Sports Bra – Lift arms up and circle them round. Jump a few times to see if your boobs are jiggling. Check if band is tight. Bend over and see if there is any spillage.
4. Bra – Check band on the last hook (it will get looser as it ages). Ensure no spillage on sides and front of cup. Ensure centre sits against breast bone.
5. For all clothes – check zippers, buttons, hems, elastic, fabric and wash care instructions. You don’t want to go home and realize its “Dry Clean only.”
6. Bags – Check zippers, hardware, pockets, and buckles. Check if handles are sturdy enough to carry the stuff you usually do.
7. Shoes – Check sole, heel, leather, and walk about quite a bit in them.
Remember, minor alterations (if you know you can do them) are acceptable. Otherwise, do not compromise on the fit. It makes a world of difference between looking classy and sloppy.
You’re done!!! Now, come home, put on some music, pour out a drink (or coffee) and experience the pure bliss of going through all your fresh loot!! I have to admit, this is the part of shopping I love the most!!!