WATCH RATI'S MAKEUP VIDEOS AND READ IMBB REVIEWS EXCLUSIVELY! DOWNLOAD THE RATI BEAUTY APP!
Low-carb ketogenic diet can help you loose oodles of weight. Ketogenic diet is extremely popular because it helps to shed weight quickly by burning fat stored in body Your carb consumption should be as low as 25 to 50 gm per day and only then you would be able to lose weight effectively. In keto diet, your body switches to burn fat for its daily energy use instead of sugar and carbs. There are many success stories attached to this Ketogenic diet. Ketogenic diet is all about lowering your carb intake so that the body burns ketones for energy instead of glucose as a result of which your body starts to shed weight. Initially everything seems fine, but some studies have pointed out that there are some side effects of ketogenic diet.
Let’s have a look at the major side effects of ketogenic diet:
Side Effects of Ketogenic Diet
- Keto Flu: when you begin on a ketogenic diet, your carb intake is extremely low and as a result your body begins to burn ketones instead of glucose. Now, here comes the catch. Your body might not feel great in the initial days and that’s where this term called “keto flu” comes into effect. Keto flu is characterized by headache, sleeplessness, nausea, constipation, vomiting etc.
- Kidney and Heart damage: In case of ketogenic diet, electrolyte loss is quite common. Also, your urination frequency gets increased at the same time. Sodium, potassium, magnesium are completely lost from your body and as a result, there is immense pressure on your kidney and heart. And thus, heart and kidney can get damaged.
- Stability issues – It is difficult to stay on a keto diet for a long amount of time. It is because it is a restrictive diet and thus staying on it for a really long amount of time can have severe implications. And thus people choose to go on and off to this diet, it should be followed only for a short time and then you should come back to your normal routine.
- Digestive Issues – With Keto diet, changes or problems in your dietary pattern is extremely common. Not consuming enough fiber and fluids are some of the major digestive issues. Also, these digestive issues are present only till some time, that too for initial days.
- Higher heart beat – Sometimes higher and faster heart beat is also a major side effect of keto diet. This is mostly because of low sodium intake and dehydration. This is also seen only in the initial days of keto diet. After a while, your body gets used to the diet and it settles down.
Other Side Effects of Keto Diet:
In addition to the above, keto diet come with many other impacts as well. Irregularity in your menstrual cycle, bad breathe, fatigue, decreased bone density, sleep issues are also some of the major problems associated with keto diet.
How To Minimize Side Effects Associated with Keto Diet?
There are some other healthy measures which you can take to reduce side effects of Keto diet. Some of which are given below:
- Drink Plenty of water – you must be sure to consume more and more water after you have started keto diet. Make sure that water intake is more and this will help to keep your body in balance and all the activities will move normally.
- Increase sodium intake – Sodium gets used up much more when your carb intake is lower. Thus, increase your sodium content in foods and drinks both.
- Consume more mineral-rich foods – eat foods which are powerhouse of magnesium and potassium. This will help you to get relieve from leg cramps.
- Exercises – During keto diet, you need to avoid high intensity and too exhaustive exercises. This can prove to be really fatal for your body.