Do you know what your hair undergoes after you shut your eyes and fall asleep? You could be tossing and turning and unintentionally pulling or creating friction on your hair. If you take good care of your hair during your daytime, don’t spoil it with a rough night of sleep. Make sure that your hair gets pampered when you are sleeping too. Here are 6 tips that will protect your hair and keep it healthy and strong while sleeping, and also how to sleep without messing up hair.
1. Splurge on a Satin Pillow Case: Investing in a satin pillowcase is a bit of an investment but this will make a huge difference in the texture of your hair. The fibers of satin prevent your hair from getting rough and damaged. When you sleep on a satin pillow, there’s no friction created and your hair will remain silky and soft every time.
2. Don’t Sleep With Wet Hair: Though washing your hair at night would save a lot of time, keep in mind that your hair is weakest when it’s wet. So, air dry or blow dry your hair before you hit the bed to prevent tugging and breakage while you sleep. You can either air dry it or invest in a great hair dryer to avoid frizz.
3. Avoid sleeping with your hair tied up: You might think you’re protecting your hair by tying it up and preventing from damage while rolling on the bed. But, the tension from a hair tie and too high of a ponytail/bun left in for several hours can definitely damage and break your hair. So, ditch the tight updo and go with a loose braid as this will save your ends from excessive breakage. Also, you can wake up with gorgeous, heatless waves.
4. Say Yes to a Scalp Massage: The strength, shine, and length of hair starts with a healthy scalp. So, end your nighttime beauty regime with a two-minute scalp massage by letting your hair down and gently massage your roots with fingers as if you’re shampooing. This will stimulate blood circulation and as they say, happy scalp gives you healthy hair.
5. Apply an Overnight Treatment: Incorporate overnight hair masks or treatments into your hair care routines to repair and hydrate your hair. Even you mask your hair overnight with coconut oil. Also, if you have dry hair, especially near the ends, apply a small amount of oil to the ends to help condition and hydrate while you sleep. This will give plenty of time for the oil to do its magic in order to wake up flawless.
6. Brush it: Brushing your hair gently from top to bottom with a paddle brush every night will not only make your hair tangle-free but distributes the natural oil from your scalp throughout the rest of your hair.