Blackheads. They’re the bane of my existence! Well, not really, but it’s incredibly annoying how they just keep popping up on my nose and on the sides of my mouth. They’ve been a big problem lately, along with dry, flaky skin on the tip of my nose. I was over at my in-laws’, when I saw a tube of St. Ives Blemish & Blackhead Control on my sister-in-law’s bathroom shelf and decided to try it. I bought my own tube a few days later.
6oz/170g tube of St. Ives Blackhead and Blemish Control Apricot Scrub
Oil-free, with 2% salicylic acid, dermatologist tested and contains 100% natural extracts, this scrub gently cleans pores and helps stop breakouts before they occur.
Apricots, which are known to contain one of the highest levels of carotenoids (think Vitamin A) and super effective antioxidants. All of this natural power might seem, well, too powerful, but they are actually quite gentle and nourishing and they help make fresher, more nourished skin beautifully possible.
Corn kernel meal, which is actually flour ground from dried corn, and is a soft, but gently powerful all-natural exfoliant that promotes cell turnover and regeneration. Cornmeal makes softer-feeling, fresher skin possible.
Walnut, known for its hard shell, but when it’s ground, it becomes an amazingly effective, all-natural exfoliant ingredient in our scrubs. Not only are walnuts plentiful on the planet, they also help newer, healthier skin come to the surface.
What I like about St. Ives Blemish & Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub
• It does clean my huge pores well. After scrubbing this on my nose, t-zone, and all around my lips, the skin on those areas feels really smooth, soft, and is mostly blackhead-free. I only see a few remaining when examining my face very closely after washing. Took care of the flaky bits of dry skin as well!
• It didn’t make my sensitive skin feel irritated or super dry after use. I also did not develop any pimples after using this. I can’t comment on the blemish-prevention effect of this product because to start with, I have not been getting any blemishes at all lately (just dry skin and blackheads). My husband has been using it for over a week though and it hasn’t given him any pimples so far.
• Has a zesty, but mild scent of apricots and oranges which makes it feel refreshing to use in the shower.
• It’s in a tube which is how I prefer my facial skin care products to be packaged. I’m a bit of a germaphobe!
• For those who avoid parabens, this product does not contain any. Personally, at the moment, I don’t mind if a product has parabens.
• It’s inexpensive at just around $4 for a big 6oz tube. This should last me many months because I only use it 2-3 times a week.
What I don’t like about St. Ives Blemish & Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub
• While it didn’t leave me feeling extra dry after use, the scrubby bits did feel a sort of harsh on my sensitive skin. They didn’t feel to sharp or too big while scrubbing, but I’d notice that after use, my skin was soft but it felt a little raw as well. And I don’t rub the product incredibly hard on my skin, I just apply a teeny bit more pressure than I do with my regular cleanser. So I don’t dare use it on my entire face. My husband, on the other hand, who has normal skin and uses this as often as I do, has no problems using it on his whole face.
Overall, this product is pretty good for its price and works well at removing my blackheads. I’d suggest this to those who want a simple, affordable exfoliating product that can remove most blackheads with each use, although I’d recommend trying it on a single area before scrubbing it over the entire face, to see if it’s not too scrubby and mild enough for your skin.
St Ives Collagen Elastin Advanced Body Moisturiser
ST.Ives Swiss Vanilla-Advanced Body Moisturizer
St. Ives Advanced Body Moisturiser
St Ives Softening Whipped Silk Body Lotion
St. Ives Apricot Scrub Blemish Fighting
St Ives Apricot Whitening Scrub