Waking up in the morning and finding a new zit on your face is one of the most common beauty nightmares of all time. And what’s worse is that this pimple is likely to get bigger and more red and all of those things as the day goes along. Of course, this is a highly unpleasant (and painful!) thought. But did you know that there are certain things that you could easily do at home to prevent your pimple from growing in size? Let’s take a look at some easy and effective ways in which you can stop a newly-formed pimple from getting bigger.
1. Keep your face squeaky clean: When you see a zit forming, it’s extremely important for you to make sure that your face (and hands) stays very clean. Dirt, oil and other contaminants will aggravate the pimple and make it grow in size.
2. Do not touch, poke or pop the zit: You will have to follow this rule, with no exceptions whatsoever. Touching, pricking, poking or popping the zit are absolute “no-nos.” This will only allow the infection spread to other parts of your face and will also leave a scar.
3. Avoid wearing pore-clogging makeup: You may be tempted to wear lots of foundation or concealer when you have a pimple, but it’s best to avoid doing that. Not only will these products not do much to cover the pimple, but they will further clog your pores and slow down the process of recovery. However, to distract from the pimple, you could wear eye makeup or lipstick.
4. Use products with salicylic acid in them: When you are choosing cleansers, toners and moisturizers for days like this, then it’s a good idea to make sure that they contain salicylic acid. Salicylic acid helps your zit subside and heal faster. Recommendation: Super Facialist by Una Brennan Salicylic Acid Anti Blemish Purifying Cleansing Wash.
5. Apply some benzoyl peroxide: Benzoyl peroxide is another over-the-counter topical treatment that you can use over pimples. It will help dry out the zit faster and prevent it from growing in size.
6. Apply some tea tree oil: Among the essential oils, tea tree oil has been seen to be most useful when it comes to treating acne and pimples. You could use a few drops of this essential oil over the affected area.
Recommendation: The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil
7. Use a warm compress over the zit: Another tip that is simple and effective is to take a soft, clean cloth and dip it in hot water so as to prepare a warm compress. Gently take the warm, damp cloth and press it over the pimple a few times. Make sure not to be abrasive. This will help the pimple subside.
8. Rub an ice cube: Alternatively, you could wrap an ice cube in a muslin cloth and gently press it against the zit a few times. This will help control the redness. You could repeat this process 3-4 times in the day.
9. Don’t skip the sunscreen: If you happen to be stepping out during the day, make sure not to skip applying the sunscreen. Without adequate sun protection, you are exposing your skin (and pimple) to further damage. However, make sure to pick a sunscreen that doesn’t feel too heavy or clog your pores. Recommendation: Clinique City Block Sheer Oil Free Daily Face Protector with SPF 25
10. Follow a proper skincare routine: Another thing to keep in mind when you’re dealing with a pimple is to follow a proper skincare routine no matter what. This means that it is non-negotiable for you to remove all traces of makeup, keep your face clean and adequately moisturized at all times.
11. Use pimple patches: Pimple patches are transparent dots that are usually infused with either salicylic acid or tea tree oil or other pimple-fighting ingredients and when these patches are applied on pimples, they reduce their size considerably.
8 Ways to Remove Pimple Marks Naturally for Oily Skin
Homemade Cinnamon Treatment For Pimples
Rose Water, Lemon and Honey Pack for Pimples
How To Get Rid Of Pimples Overnight
DIY Holy Basil Pimple Clearing Face Pack
10 Do Nots for Girls with Acne and Pimple-Prone Skin
8 Ways to Treat a Pimple Around the Mouth
10 Safe Ways to Get Rid of Pimples on Lips