Today I won’t be reviewing a product but instead I’m going to talk about my struggle with acne and what worked for me. This article might be a tad too long to read but if you’re struggling with acne, do take out a few moments to read this.
I was suffering from bad acne ever since I was 13 and it’s just been a year since my acne has been totally under control. I had back, chest and arm acne too. It looked horrible. Nothing really worked for me. Clean and clear was a joke and Ultra Clearasil dried my skin so bad that it started to flake. Neutrogena worsened this situation and even makeup looked horrible on my skin. All those home remedies? Well, nothing worked. Himalaya Herbals Neem facepack’s visible effects were as temporary as Body Shop’s Tea Tree Oil products effects. Ayurvedic medicines just didn’t seem to suit my stomach so I quit that too. That was when I realized, I’m stuck between a rock and a crazy place.
Today, I’m 21 and I’ve finally managed to put on my anti-acne shields and win the battle against what seemed like a life long struggle of zits. I’m going to share with you girls today the few tips that helped me with my acne. I have combination skin, so anyone with same skin types please take notes!
• I stopped using normal body soap for my face and started using a simple face wash for oily skin. Face washes for Acne didn’t work for me because they would dry out my skin more than my pus filled pimples. You can use any face wash for oily skin but make sure it isn’t too drying. Stay away from acne-prone skin face washes. I started using a very affordable Ponds Oil Control Face Wash and Nivea Visage for mixed-oily skin.
• Face scrubs irritated my already irritated skin even more so I stopped using them all together for at almost 2 years. Now that my skin is clear, I use them in my skin routine.
• I reduced my sugar intake, started drinking a lot of water and exercised. By exercise I don’t mean sweating it out like crazy at the gym. Enough workout to sweat your pores out and keep you active.
• I never wear the same clothes twice. It happens to all of us; if the top still smells like your awesome deodorant, it can be worn again. NO. STOP. The bacteria from your body acne transfers to your clothes. Wear fresh clothes everyday after your shower.
• I threw away my fancy makeup removers and started using Cetaphil Cleansing Lotion for sensitive skin. It worked wonders for me.
• Ice cubes and lemon were my new best friends. I would apply lemon to my skin directly once in 2 days and apply an ice cube all over my face to reduce redness.
• I didn’t use any moisturizers. Nothing helped me so I just stopped. I would use a very little amount of petroleum jelly and lightly dab it on my skin. A few minutes later I would wipe it off with a damb handkerchief after some of it was absorbed.
• ALWAYS SANITISE. Yes, I always sanitized my hands before touching my face. As crazy as it sounds, it did wonders for my skin. Before applying any lotion, before makeup, before almost anything.
• I washed and disinfected all my makeup brushes and my razors once every 3 days or sooner and all my towels were disinfected using some Dettol in water. You can also use a pinch of Dettol in your bath for your body.
• Last but not the least, the ointment that helped me the most was – Benzoyl Peroxide Gel BP from GALDERMA. This ointment comes in 2.5% and 5% of solution in it. I used 5% for a month or two for extremely severe acne and now I use 2.5% regularly to disinfect my skin. You should use it twice every day. I now use it once before sleeping.
My acne has now been in check ever since I started this routine. I can swear by the Benzoyl Peroxide Gel and Cetaphil Cleasing Lotion. Your skin might get very dry after using the Benzoyl Peroxide Gel 5%, use Cetaphil Moisturizer or follow the Petroleum Jelly routine as I did.
It’s funny how I went around looking for the most expensive products for my acne which only added to my then existing acne problem. All the products mentioned above are super affordable ( Below Rs. 150 ) and easily available in India.
Please give this routine a shot; you will not be disappointed and that, I can promise you.
How I Got Rid of Acne
Pimple and Acne Creams that Didn’t Work
Diet for Acne
How to Get Rid of Acne Scars
How to Get a Clear Skin Complexion
How to Care for Combination Skin
Blemishes– Causes & Skin Care
Skin Care for Oily Skin
Dry Skin Care: Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Daily Skin Care Regimen for Working Women
Top 7 Skin Myths about Acne
Glycolic Acid Peel for Acne
Acne: Types, Causes and Cure