Eating the right kind of food can make your weight loss journey smooth and easy, but it’s essential to identify what’s right and what’s not. Foods with fat content in them were considered to be bad for health and weight loss until a few years ago, but experts say food with “healthy fat” content boost the whole weight loss process. Experts also say you should eat a good portion of vegetables and fruits as part of a balanced diet. But some veggies may boost weight loss a little more than others. Sweet potato is one such veggie that does not get its due – steam them, bake them, or mash them up – this nutrient-rich veggie tastes too delicious. But is sweet potato good for weight loss? Let’s find out:
1. The best thing about sweet potato is that you can eat with the peel on – which is packed with dietary fiber. Just like protein, dietary fiber is an essential nutrient that boosts weight loss by reducing the level of hunger hormone, has cholecystokinin that stimulates the digestion of fat and protein. The resistant starch in sweet potatoes lowers the risk of obesity.
2. You would be surprised to know that sweet potato is a water-dense vegetable (77% water content), that keeps you fuller for longer, curbing appetite.
3. With their natural sweetness, they curb cravings for sugary treats.
4. Even if you are not trying to lose weight, sweet potatoes should be part of your diet because though this vegetable has complex carbs, it is also rich in provitamin A (from beta-carotene), vitamin C and potassium. Cooked sweet potato contains about 18 to 21% carbs. This carb content consists of starch, sugar and fiber. Sweet potato is also rich in antioxidants and may help reduce oxidative damage, lowering the risk of several diseases. Since these potatoes are low in calories, you can have them without going out of calorie deficit.
5. As mentioned above, you can have sweet potato in different ways – steamed, boiled, baked, mashed, roasted – there are so many options.
Summing up, weight loss is majorly about maintaining a calorie deficit, being on nutrient-dense diet such as Rati Beauty diet, and also doing regular exercise.
7 High-Protein Vegetables your Weight Loss Routine Needs
Top 19 Water-Rich Fruits for Weight Loss