Experts and scientists unanimously acknowledge the importance of diet and nutrition in weight loss, placing 80% importance on diet and ascribe just 20% to exercise. One can successfully lose weight on a good diet such as on Rati Beauty app; however, sabotaging your own weight loss prospect after getting on the diet is quite common, and most of the time it happens unknowingly. In this post, we detail out 12 Things to Not Do If you Want Your Weight Loss Diet to Work.
1. Tweaking the Diet on your Own: When you start on a weight loss diet, make sure you stick to the meal plans. Tweaking the diet and making dramatic changes on your own may not get you the desired results. Check out the amazing meal plans on the Rati Beauty app for more details.
2. Not Measuring Food Quantity: We tend to underestimate the amount of calories in food when we resort to eyeballing the quantity. It would be prudent to weigh and measure the food as mentioned on the diet plan. Because without measuring, you may be consuming a lot more calories.
3. Eating While Watching TV: One of the prerequisites to lose weight is to eat mindfully – eat without any distractions, which means switch off the TV, keep away the phone, and eat in peace so that once the satiety hormone kicks in, you can keep away the fork and spoon to avoid consuming extra calories.
4. Not Sticking to the Meal and Snack Timings: It’s essential to stick to the meal and snack timings mentioned on the weight loss diet to avoid unnecessary grazing through the day.
5. Sleeping for 7 Hours or Less: When you sleep for less than 7 hours, the body lowers metabolism and its ability to burn more calories. Also, stress hormone and hunger hormone rise leading to cravings for unhealthy food. If you want your diet plan to work, you must absolutely sleep for 7 hours or more.
6. Not Drinking Enough Water: A simple glass of plain water does more than just flushing out toxins from the body. It also improves metabolism, curbs appetite, and increases calorie burning. So, do not compromise on the amount of water and do not just stop at 8 glasses per day.
7. Replacing Fruits with Packaged Fruit Juices: It is completely wrong to replace raw and fresh fruits with packaged fruit juices because the latter is usually loaded with liquid calories, artificial flavours, preservatives, and not a healthy alternative to raw fruits because they spike insulin up, lack fiber, and have empty calories that lead to weight gain.
8. Adding Store-Bought Salad Dressings: Salads are also considered a foolproof way to get loads of nutrition without going into a calorie surplus because a plate or bowl of salad would help cut down calories, boost metabolism, provide ample nutrition, and keep you satiated for long, boosting weight loss – provided, it’s done the right way. Salads are often termed as a healthy option, but certain mistakes, can tip it towards the unhealthier side, and adding high-calorie store-bought salad dressings is one of them. If you are someone who is particularly trying to lose weight, make sure your salad is absolutely healthy and clean, has these “17 Best Salad Ingredients for Weight Loss.”
9. Letting Guards Down During Weekends: It isn’t hard to undo a week of careful eating with just a few indulgences over the weekend. Your weight isn’t going to budge if you binge eat during the weekends and turn the cheat meal into a cheat day or worse, into a cheat weekend. Do practice mindful eating during weekends and keep a tabs on calorie intake even while socializing or getting together with friends. Most importantly, keep “cheat meal” as a single time indulgence, avoid stretching it into a two-day affair.
10. Rewarding Exercise with Food: Sometimes we tend to overestimate the number of calories burnt during exercise and reward ourselves with unhealthy snacks. To counter this, keep a food diary and also a log of amount of calories burnt during workout.
11. All or Nothing Attitude: Taking a bite off a slice of pizza or eating a doughnut is not a “go ahead” to eat unhealthy snacks for the rest of the day. Likewise, if you have not been able to exercise for a few days, do not become a couch potato. All or nothing attitude can sabotage the weight loss plan really badly. So, consider every meal as a new opportunity to lose weight and be active for the most part of the day, and also avoid the “all or nothing attitude” at all cost.
12. Not Giving the Weight Loss Diet Enough Time to Work: Just like you didn’t gain weight overnight, you wouldn’t lose all the excess fat in a single day. Patience is the key here because weight loss is a process that will take time to show results. Calling it quits just within a few days of starting a diet will not bring you any results at all, so do give your diet enough time to show its magic.
12 Salad Mistakes you Should Avoid to Lose Weight
16 Reasons Why you are Struggling to Lose Weight