Shilpa Shetty, Malaika Arora, Aishwarya Rai are in their mid 40s and yet they seemed to have completely stalled the ageing process. Even if you look closely, their skin does not show any signs of ageing and it’s hard to spot a frown line or crow’s feet on them. So, what are they doing different and how are they minimizing the signs of aging without going under the knife? In today’s world, to age gracefully means to take care of oneself physically and mentally. And so, in this post, we have listed down 23 things you must do to minimize signs of ageing.
1. Wear a Good Broad-Spectrum Sunscreen Every Day: Your skin would thank you a great deal if you wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen everyday and show the gratitude by keeping signs of ageing like fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, age spots, and uneven skin tone. Basically, a majority of skin woes, including ageing, is because of continued exposure to harmful rays of sun. Here’s a list of 10 Fragrance-Free Sunscreens for all skin types.
2. Drink Loads of Water to get that “Glow”: Water can do so many good things to your body, from helping you lose weight to making the skin soft, supple, and younger. Don’t just limit water intake to just 8 glasses, drink as many as you can, and do not replace plain water for juices or other beverages.
3. Switch to Rati Beauty Weight Loss Diets: Yes, these diets help you lose weight, but at the same time, the nutrients from these weekly diets nourish the skin and keep signs of ageing away
4. Only Mild Cleansers Please: Always cleanse your skin with alcohol-free and soap-free cleansers. In fact, Aishwarya Rai is believed to use only besan to cleanse her skin. Here’s how you can make a Besan Face Cleanser at home to cleanse your skin.
5. Avoid Soap: A majority of beauty soaps that claim to be made with a variety of skin-beneficial ingredients (almonds, rose, milk cream, etc.,) are in fact extremely drying on the skin and rip off the natural oils, leaving skin stretchy and prone to develop lines and wrinkles. Switch to a creamy cleanser or face wash and avoid soap totally. In fact, here are 4 Ways To Cleanse Your Face Without Soap.
6. Include Retinol-based products: Retinol is a form of vitamin A and it is hugely beneficial for all skin types, particularly for ageing skin because it helps clear pigmentation, increases cell turnover, and reduces fine lines and wrinkles. Retinol is an absolute must-have if you want to minimize the signs of ageing.
7. Glycolic Acid is for all Skin Types: Glycolic acid, one of the most popular AHA (alpha hydroxy acids), is a multitasker skincare ingredient because it exfoliates without causing abrasions, smooths out rough skin, and also brightens up skin tone. Here are some Glycolic-Acid Based Products that one can include in the skincare routine.
8. Oil Cleansing: It’s a wonderful way to cleanse skin and to get rid of every trace of dirt and grime without drying out skin and it also improves signs of ageing. Here’s how you can do Oil Cleansing at Home for Beautiful Skin.
9. Omega-3 fatty acids: These healthy fats keep the skin cells plump and are an absolute must-have in an anti-ageing routine. Eggs, ghee, fish, olive oil are some good sources of omega-3 fatty acids.
10. Read about some Anti-Ageing Secrets Women Wish They Knew in their 20s
11. Moisturize skin irrespective of skin type: Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize irrespective fo your skin type because lack of moisture and hydration triggers all signs of ageing to show up quicker.
12. Get Lots of Sleep: Sleep deprivation actually speeds up the ageing process because the cells have less time recover and repair from damage.
13. Sleep on your back: It’s as simple as this – sleeping face down on the pillow will lead to formation of creases and wrinkles due to the friction caused by the pillow cloth and the skin.
14. Increase Spinach Intake: Spinach is full of nutrients including antioxidants, iron, and other minerals that actually slow down the ageing proess.
15. Supplement up Vitamin E: This vitamin is a necessary nutrient for flawless skin and healthy hair, no reason why you should get a steady dose of vitamin E through your diet.
16. Get your daily dose of Vitamin C: This vitamin is an antioxidant that fights all signs of premature ageing – from brightening up skin tone, treating hyperpigmentation, to increasing collagen production – it does all! There are many foods that are rich in vitamin C that one can easily find locally – lemon, guava, capsicum are loaded with vitamin C.
17. Amp up on antioxidants: Antioxidants neutralize free radicals which damage the skin cells and causing lines and wrinkles to form rather quickly. Here’s a list of antioxidant rich food that you can include in your diet.
18. Egg White Mask: Egg white naturally tightens up the skin and makes it firm. Make this egg white mask for flawless skin.
19. Honey and Lemon Anti-Ageing Mask: This combination of natural ingredients boosts collagen production, brightens skin, moisturizes and hydrates skin amply. To make this mask, take 1 tbsp of honey and add a few drops of freshly-squeezed lemon. Apply a thin layer of this pack on your face and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse off and dab gently with a soft cloth.
20. Ditch the Junk Food: Junk food is high in calories, sodium, sugar, monosodium glutamate, vegetable oil – all of which damage the skin cells and raise inflammation, and causing formation of wrinkles.
21. Give up on White Sugar: Cutting down sugar will have an amazing reaction on your skin because insulin spikes caused by high refined sugar in the body causes inflammation of skin which leads to premature ageing, wrinkles, acne, and uneven skin tone. If you want to look 10 years younger, then the first thing you should do is eliminate sugar from your system. Sugar in the bloodstream leads to a process called “glycation,” in which sugar molecules damage the collagen and elastin (responsible for suppleness and firmness) in our skin. Cutting down glucose will eliminate insulin spikes which will eventually lower down inflammation of the skin and you can get your youthful glow back within two weeks. So, when you cut back on sugar, you can say bye bye to acne and wrinkles for as long as you want.
22. Exercise Regularly For Beautiful Skin: An active lifestyle with regular exercise improves blood circulation throughout the body and can help reverse signs of ageing.
23. Facial Yoga: Try these yoga exercises to tighten and firm up the skin.