Whether it is because of too much of environmental stress and chafing, or due to not wearing a good sunscreen, or even lack of proper care of exfoliation, dark elbows and knees are quite common in women. Home remedies work well in reducing darkness of knees and elbows. Want to know how to treat roughness and darkness of elbows and knees, read on further:
What Causes Dark Knees and Elbows:
- Allergic reaction.
- Not wearing a good sunscreen.
- Hormonal factors.
- No proper exfoliation.
- Certain medications.
- Dry skin
How to Treat Dark Elbows at Home – Basic Tips:
You just need to follow a few simple steps on a weekly basis. Be religious in following them and you would reap the benefits surely.
1. Cleansing: Use a gentle cleanser, preferably with salicylic acid and glycolic acid, to clean your elbows and knees daily. Glycolic acid removes dead skin cells and clears the texture of the skin. Salicylic acid works by dissolving the glue between the dead cells and clears rough texture of the skin. Our recommendation: Ahaglow S Face Wash.
2. Exfoliation: First of all, you need to remove dead cells from your elbows and knees. For that purpose, you need a nice exfoliating scrub and rub it in circular motion twice or thrice every week. For best results, do it while taking shower. At this time, the skin is moist and the scrubbing process is much easier to do. This will not only help to remove the dead cells but also tone down the darkness of your elbows. Invest in a ready-made scrub from a reputed brand or make a scrub at home by using coffee powder, honey, lemon juice and sugar. Here’s how you can make your own body scrub with kitchen ingredients.
3. Moisturize: When the elbow skin is dry and dehydrated, it looks all the more rough and dark. So, moisturize your elbows to prevent them from getting scaly and coarse. Immediately after patting your elbows dry (whether after scrubbing or not), follow up with a thick cream or moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated. Our recommendations: Himalaya Herbals Intensive Moisturizing Lotion.
4. Apply natural skin bleaching agents: Natural skin lightening agents work really well to lighten skin tone and patches from the elbows and knees. Use natural lightening agents lemon juice, turmeric, masoor dal, besan, yogurt, potato, etc.
5 Sunscreen: Make sure that you do not forget to apply sunscreen generously on the elbows and knees. This will prevent further tanning and darkening.
6. Avoid a few ‘bad’ habits: Skipping the cleansing part or being lazy enough to use the scrub only once every two weeks, doing away with the application of natural lighteners altogether or leaning on your elbows on rough surfaces are what I call ‘bad’ habits. Stay away from them.
Home Remedies to Treat Dark Elbows at Home:
- For exfoliation, you can mix two spoons of olive oil with a spoon of sugar. Apply and leave on for sometime. Rub it and clean it off with a towel.
- Make a pack by mixing two spoons of yoghurt with almond powder (or paste). Apply and let it dry. Clean by rubbing it.
- Whenever you have some left over lemon peels at home, rub your elbows with them once in a while.
• Rub lime juice on your elbows and leave on for fifteen minutes. Wash off.
- If you have some coconut water at home, drink some and leave a little bit for washing your elbows with it.
- Massage curd and milk on your elbows.
- Mix turmeric, lemon juice and cucumber juice. Apply the mixture on elbows and let it dry. Wash off.
- Mix gram flour with milk and turmeric. Apply and scrub it off after sometime.