How To Treat Scalp Acne
Scalp acne are a common problem, especially if you have an oily scalp! Whether it is because of your excessively active oil glands or because of hormonal imbalance, scalp acne can be such a bother! It itches constantly, pains from time to time and even bleeds at times! Since I have an oily scalp, I face this problem of scalp acne sometimes! In this post, I am going to share with you how I try to overcome this problem of scalp acne. As you can understand, this article is a product of my experiences as a victim of both oily scalp and scalp acne. I have also tried to include my researches regarding combating the same.
Scalp Acne- Causes
A number of factors are responsible for scalp acne. Here are the top ones-
• Hormonal imbalance that often leads to over-active oil glands
• Dandruff problems
• Frequent application of hair styling products that cause build-ups
• Over-exposure to heat and seasonal changes
• Unhealthy food habits
• Unclean scalp due to irregular shampooing and poor hair care regimen
• Hereditary factors
Hence the first step to treating scalp acne to ensure that you do away with any or many of these causes which can be responsible for your scalp acne. Try to treat dandruff as early as possible. Clean your scalp regularly and ensure that you allow no buildups. Eat a healthy and balanced diet, drink loads of water and never expose your scalp to the direct rays of sun if you are already suffering from scalp acne. Take proper care of your hair and scalp. You should also see a physician to see if it’s because of your hormonal problems.
How to Treat Scalp Acne- Basic Guidelines
Here are the basic things to do if you want to treat scalp acne-
• Use the right kind of shampoo. Use a mild shampoo which has healing properties. According to the nature of your problem, you can look for shampoos with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
• Ideally, you should wash your oily scalp and hair every alternate day. This sounds exaggerated as we all know that excessive shampooing tends to damage hair. But trust me, this is a necessity. Use a mild shampoo suitable for regular use or make your own Reetha shampoo for the purpose.
• Never use conditioners on your scalp as it is like poison for oily scalp. Get more ideas on this from my article- How to treat an oily scalp (https://makeupandbeauty.com/how-to-treat-an-oily-scalp/)
• Use hair cleansing products containing salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, coal tar, cortisone, zinc and such other ingredients do help.
• It is equally important to know what you need to avoid in your hair care products. Propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, mineral oil, alcohol, lanolin and parabens are some of them.
How to treat scalp acne- home remedies
Regular use of home remedies is very helpful in treating scalp acne. However you need to be religious in following them and be patient.
Here are a few easy scalp acne home remedies that you can check out-
• Rub fresh garlic on your scalp acne as well as the areas around them.
• Grind small onions and squeeze out the juice. Massage on the scalp and leave it on. Do it at least 2 hours before you shampoo. This can be done everyday or on alternate days. Apart from treating scalp acne, it also treats hair loss problems.
• Boil neem leaves in water and use it as a hair rinse. Neem has antiseptic properties.
• Mix rose water and lime juice in equal quantities and leave it on for at least for one hour on your scalp. Wash off.
• Use a paste of fenugreek and water to treat scalp acne.
• Try adding a few drops of tea tree oil in your shampoo while cleansing your hair.
How to treat scalp acne- Tips
• Reduce the intake as well as application of oily products. They aggravate the problem of acne.
• Do not use things which transfer the oil on your face to your scalp. One such thing is a headband.
• Keep your pillow covers clean and never share towels.
• Drink lots of water and eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
• Do not forget to consult a dermatologist if the problem persists or gets worse day by day.
How to treat scalp acne- topical treatments and oral medications
A variety of topical treatments as well as oral medications are available for scalp acne. It is best to consult your dermatologist or a physician before resorting to any. Some of these topical treatments include erythromycin, clindamycin and such others. Doctors also prescribe oral antibiotics and medicines like Isotretinoin, Accutane, Doxycycline, Minocycline and Tetracycline to treat scalp acne. I must however admit that I have never gone for any of these medications and this part of my article is based solely on research.
19 thoughts on “How To Treat Scalp Acne”
Hey Somreeta nice article… 🙂 nice tips…!! much needed for me…. i have started getting sclap acne from time i changed my hair oil… 🙁 :'(
thanx Rajani 🙂 ……indeed its a problem. it tends to occur more during summers and monsoons….
i too get this sometime.. mostly due to unsuitable shampoos..
lavender oil applied with a q-tip works well…
u can also make onion oil.. great for all scalp problems..
nice article. 🙂
thank u ife…actually i hav never used the lavender oil. do u mean the essential oil diluted with water ?? i use the onion juice….using it for the past 1 month. i find it great 🙂
your articles r always great……… 🙂 🙂
o mishthi…thanks dear 🙂
Hey Somreeta…great work..hats off to the quality of articles I write..
I have a query I have oily scalp n do use coal tar shampoo. It suits me as well. Is it harmful? How can I avoid it? I have read your articles also. We have a similar scalp and hair:(. How to take care of oily scalp n dry hair.
hey Aditi….thank u for th compliment.
bt i know what a pain it is to have a scalp type like that. i have already discussed this one at length in my article on ”how to treat an oily scalp” u can see it there…..
coming to coal tar shampoos…i know it suits really well for such scalp types bt its nt good in the long run. i mean,….a few side effects can be there…i use Aromamagic triphla shampoo or VLCC anti-dandruff shampoo among many others. recently….i have laid my hands upon a POWDER SHAMPOO, which is absolutely free from any chemicals. purely natural. its found in kolkata….by Akansha….its called keshasathi. i think, it may also be available online in their website.
Sure, will try these n will also share results wid U 🙂
Eeek..i wrote I instead of U 😛
Somreeta, a perfect article. For 2 days now I am suffering from scalp acne problem, and just before sleeping I thought that I must search IMBB and wow, I am pleased to see your article.
I have heard a lot about the onion juice application, but I wonder whether its advisable? Its so strong right ??? There wouldnt be any side effects ?
I have been using neem oil and coconut oil with 1:5 ratio to avoid dandruff.
hey Sandhya…dats great to hear…
onion juice is a perfect natural medicine for many a scalp prob. i dont think it has any side effect xcept the strong smell…moreover, its a small variety f onions dat u should use.,..nt the bgger ones we use in our curry most f the times. 🙂 i use it every alternate day. can be even used everyday if u r ready to shampoo dat often…
Somreeta, love this article! 🙂
I didn’t really know you could get acne on the scalp as well! That must suck :/
I have one question though – won’t the onion juice smell really bad?
yes Samantha…many poor women face this prob… bt then, onion does help if u want a total natural option. smells bad…bt not unbearable. and ya, at times, its better to tolerate bad smell than to tolerate that itching and hairfall…!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
actually, i prefer it n days when im home. 🙂 more than bad, the smell is strong.
great tips somreeta. :))
thank u Rati…….
u are such a star Somreeta… i am so much distressed about this dandruff prob i have & n to top it oily scalp…. i am also getting all boils on my face as they say if the flake touches the skin u get all boils on the face!!!!! i will follow what u told me n bookmark this page fr sure
Thanks fr sharing 🙂