We are constantly looking for ways to improve the texture and clarity of the skin, and do not shy away from trying beauty tips that magazines, instagram, or the world of internet throws at us. However, some of them are outright useless and are best ignored. In fact, you shouldn’t even try them because they might even damage the skin. In this post, we list out 6 such useless beauty tips you should ignore.
1. Using a Lot of Baking Soda in DIYs: Youtube videos, instagram posts have made baking soda the “skin-brightening superstar;” however, using baking soda regularly can strip the skin of its natural oils, leaving it dry and rough. That’s because of the high alkaline nature of baking soda which is 9 and the skin’s pH is 4.5, disrupting the pH balance, which may lead to premature ageing, excessive dryness, and even wrinkles. Stop using baking soda directly on face or at least limit its usage in homemade DIYs.
2. Rubbing Lemon on Face Directly: Lemon is full of vitamin C, but applying it directly on the skin, without mixing it with other moisturizing or soothing ingredients, can leave skin irritated and extremely dry because lemon is highly acidic in nature. Instead of applying lemon juice directly, here are 5 Lemon Packs for Beautiful Skin where you can mix it with other skin-beneficial ingredients to get amazing results.
3. Exfoliate Skin Daily: Using a scrub every single day can lead to over-exfoliation of skin, making it prone to breakouts and excessive dryness because exfoliating regularly can cause micro tears and stripping away of natural oils. Limit exfoliation to just once a week, allowing the skin to regenerate and recuperate, and reveal healthier skin from beneath.
4. Washing your face with a Harsh Cleanser in the Morning: All skincare junkies will stick by this rule – cleanse your face thoroughly before hitting the bed at night! So, washing the face with a harsh cleanser the moment you wake up really doesn’t make sense, in fact, it can rip the natural oils and leave skin dry and stretchy, especially if you are using anti-acne face washes/cleansers. Use an extremely mild cleanser or just plain water to keep the glow alive for the rest of the day.
5. Using Harsh Cleansers for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin: When you use harsh cleansers to get rid of shine and grease (yes, oily skin people, we are talking about you), it actually dries out your skin, and the skin secretes more oil to counter the dryness. Acne soaps and cleansers tend to do this your skin. Pick a water-based or gel moisturizer for your skin type so that your skin doesn’t go into overdrive producing more oil. Here’s a list of “50 Best Moisturisers for Oily Acne Prone Skin.” We would like to stress on the fact that even oily skin needs a moisturiser because it prevents skin from producing excessive oil and sebum.
6. Use Toothpaste to Dry out Pimples: We don’t know who started this trend, but topical application of toothpaste as an overnight treatment for pimples has hardly worked for anyone. Instead, try this all-natural homemade Nutmeg and Milk Face Pack For Pimples and Acne Scars.
Hope you found these tips helpful and steer away from trying out these extremely popular but non-skin friendly skincare beauty tips.