Hellooooooooooo all you beautiful ladies on IMBB, and big thanks to Rati for accepting my article, I’m very much excited!!! 😀
I’m Keirti, a makeup novice, truly inspired by IMBB for various beauty tips and tricks. These days, I’m having the craze of reading IMBB and want to share my honest opinions on the products I purchase, so that, all you girls reading this blog will get benefited like how you help me solving my queries.
This is my first review for you all on a VLCC Lip Shield Lip Balm.
Well, I came across this while searching for a new lip smacking product. As I had heard the name of this brand earlier, I didn’t hesitate much in buying 2 jars (one strawberry and other cocoa butter) of the product at a wonderful discount of Rs. 119 ( 10ml/0.34 fl.oz) X 2 jars. In fact, Tapaswini told us about this offer a few days ago on IMBB and reviewed two other variants.
Individually, it would have cost me Rs. 95 (strawberry) & Rs. 80 (cocoa butter). I was soooooo excited to check out my new purchases that it took a long time to cover my journey back home. 😉
What the Product Claims:
This unique lip shield enriched with rich emollients, locks–in moisture and heals dry chapped lips. Its active ingredients enhance NMF (Natural Moisturizing Factor) of the lips leaving them smooth & supple. SPF 10 protects from harmful sunrays.
Ingredients of Strawberry Lip Balm:
Strawberry extracts, castor oil, octyl methoxy cinnamate, shea butter, di-methicon, vitamin E, Cocoa butter Lip Shield. Enriched with goodness of cocoa butter and vitamin E, helps heal chapped lips and keeps them smooth, while SPF 10 protects from harmful sunrays.
Ingredients of Cocoa Lip Balm:
Directions For Use:
Apply on to lips as often as desired, can be applied under lip color.
Chemicals used in the strawberry lip shield (I googled it out just to check as I hate stingy chemical smell).
1. Octyl methoxy cinnamate or octinoxate:
- An organic compound that is an ingredient in some sunscreens and lip balms to absorb UV-B and UV-A rays from the sun & in treating scars .
- One study performed in 2000 raised safety concerns about octyl methoxycinnamate by demonstrating toxicity to mouse cells at concentrations lower than typical levels in sunscreens. However, a more recent study concluded that octyl methoxycinnamate and other sun screening agents do not penetrate the outer skin in sufficient concentration to cause any significant toxicity to the underlying human keratinocytes. So I guess such an ingredient should not be used in lip balms at least!!!
- Estrogenic effects were noted in laboratory animals at concentrations close to those experienced by sunscreen users.
- This medication is used as a moisturizer to treat or prevent dry, rough, scaly, itchy skin and minor skin irritations (e.g., diaper rash, skin burns from radiation therapy).
My Experience with VLCC Strawberry and Cocoa Lip Shield Lip Balm Review, Photos and Swatches:
Initially, I decided to use cocoa butter first (I love strawberries, so kept the tasty one to use later). The product is extremely moisturizing and moisturizes for 2-3 hours (munching not included but you can talk as much as u can 😛 😛 :P). On applying, it leaves a cocoa smell, which lasts for about half an hour. I like the chocolately smell as I haven’t used any chocolate-flavored cosmetic product before! Overall, cocoa butter for me is an okay product.
But, strawberry lip shield for me is a TOTAL TURN OFF!!! and now, I’m using this keeping cocoa butter aside. Firstly, it doesn’t smell like regular strawberry flavored products, rather the smell is a mixture of raspberry, strawberry in a bitter-smelling chemical substance, which gives an overall bittery not-so-good synthetic smell to it. Moreover, this fruity smell vanishes away as soon as you take the product out of the jar leaving only a bittery chemical fragrance which stays on lips and that’s YUKKK!!!
Secondly, I found some plastic wire-like small strands while using this product, I thought it may be due to opening the jar for the very first time, but it’s really disgusting to find many such plastic pieces every now and then. So, I’m not at all using this product on my lips, but on dry areas like heels, elbow and ankle 😛 ).
I attached the snap of those strands but it’s not very clear and it’s really really annoying to find plastic in a product especially formulated for lips!!! (don’t these people know how harmful plastic ingestion is!!! 🙁
Thirdly, the product is sticky and does not gets washed off with soap at once. I need to use soap twice to completely remove the product from my hands and lips. So, for me, it perfectly suits to moisturize extreme dry areas like heels, elbow and ankles and those chemicals cannot penetrate through the skin at these body parts.
Two plastic pieces in strawberry lip shield marked separately encircled. The product is vegetarian, recycable, and tested on animals.
Pros of VLCC Cocoa Lip shield and Strawberry Lip Shield:
Extremely moisturizing and lasts for 2-3 hours.
The product claims to contain SPF 10.
Vegeatarian & recyclable.
Can be a good moisturizer for heels, elbow and ankle joints 😛
Cons of VLCC Cocoa Lip shield and Strawberry Lip Shield:
- Strawberry one is a turn off, I can smell chemicals as soon as I apply it on my lips and NO STRAWBERRY!!! :’( :’(
- Unusual oiliness that doesn’t goes off with soap in a single wash.
- Probable side-effects of its chemical ingredients because it’s very obvious if we apply something on lips. It often goes into mouth consciously or unconsciously (I can’t put any restriction on my eating habits to use this product after all its a lip balm and not mehendi that I should sit quietly and do nothing).
- How can I forget those tiny plastic wire-like pieces (didn’t find in cocoa butter yet!) which I got MUFT MUFT MUFT!!!
Cocoa lip shield is an okay product as compared to strawberry. May contain similar chemicals, but I am not sure as it is not mentioned on its ingredients list. Can be used under dry matte lipsticks due to its intense moisturizing power.
Will I Re-Purchase:
Never, neither will I suggest this, especially the strawberry variant, although every other variant of the VLCC lip shield has different list of ingredients. So, you can go for other variants if you wish to.
I would give 1 mark for the moisturization that it provides.
VLCC Acne Control Clove Massage Gel
VLCC Shape Up Anti Cellulite Gel
VLCC Skin Defense Aloe Vera Body Lotion with SPF 10
VLCC Anti Tan Facial Kit
VLCC Surya Sandal Sun Block Lotion (SPF 30)
VLCC Diamond Facial Kit
VLCC Anti Tan Skin lightening Face Wash
VLCC Skin Defense Range
VLCC Skin Defense Lavang Moisturizer
LipIce Sheer Color Strawberry Lip Balm
Avon Naturals Lip Balm Strawberry, Aloe & Cherry
Victoria’s Secret Strawberry & Champagne Stimulating Body Scrub
MAX Glow Herbals Strawberry Face Wash with Jojoba Oil
The Body Shop Cocoa Butter Body Butter
Vaseline Cocoa Butter Deep Conditioning Body Lotion
Lotus Herbals Cocomoist Cocoa Butter Moisturizing Lotion
VLCC Mint Lip Shield & Mandarin Lip Shield
Oriflame Beauty Urban Shield Gloss
Lotus Herbals Lip Balm – Strawberry
Lotus Herbals Lip Therapy Chocolate
Lotus Herbals Vanilla Lip Therapy
Jovees Lip Balm
Biotique Lip Balm and Lotus Safe Sun Anti Tan Gel
Avon Naturals Lip Balm Strawberry, Aloe & Cherry
Biotique Bio Fruit Lightening Lip Balm
Maybelline Lip Smooth Color & Care Balm Photos, Swatches
Marks and Spencer Cocoa Bean Body Butter
The Body Shop Cocoa Butter Moisturising stick