We hear a lot about going into a “fat burning mode” to shed extra weight, but what exactly is this “fat burning” process and can you boost it to get to your goal weight and desired shape? Yes! “Fat burning” is called lipolysis in medical terms and it’s the mechanism where the body breaks down dietary fat or stored fat into absorbable form to be used as energy by the cells. Since our aim is to lose weight, we would be looking at how to boost lipolysis to burn stored fat rather than dietary fat. In this post, we list down 12 ways to boost lipolysis to burn fat. But first, let’s find out how this process of lipolysis takes place inside the body.
What is Lipolysis?
It’s a mechanism that takes place inside the body where fat is broken down into an energy form to be used by the body. All the extra calories that are not utilized get stored as fat under the skin and some of it gets stored in the muscle tissue too. As we all know, our body uses glucose from carb source as the primary source of energy to run its day-to-day function, but in a situation where not much glucose is available to be used as energy, the body switches to an alternate source, which is “fat,” – either through dietary source or that is available in the stored form in adipose and muscle tissue. When fat gets broken down into an energy form, it is oxidized or burned inside energy factories of the body (mitochondria), where fat oxidation happens. But before that, they get converted into fatty free acids and then get utilized as fuel by body cells. This entire process is called lipolysis. There are two types of lipolysis – gastrointestinal lipolysis that happens during digestion, and adipocyte lipolysis, where stored fat is tapped into, and that’s the time we get to drop weight and lose extra fat.
Lipolysis occurs when the body needs energy and there is calorie deficit, and there’s not enough glucose available through the diet. In such a situation, where there is increased physical activity also, the brain triggers the release of stored fat from adipocytes (which are the cells that store fat). These fatty acids are then are oxidized in mitochondrial cells and released as energy. It goes without saying, to burn fat stored in adipose tissue and to slim down, you need to create a calorie deficit and exercise to make the body reach out to extra stored fat deposits to get energy.
12 Ways to Boost Lipolysis to Burn Fat:
1. Exercise 5 days a week and rest for 2 days: The best possible way to induce lipolysis is by working out and exercising at moderate intensity. During exercise, stored fat is broken down into fatty acids and easily find their way to the mitochondria to be burned. Regular physical activity will ensure you are burning fat at a steady rate.
2. Go into a Calorie Deficit: When calorie deficit is created, the body starts sourcing energy from stored fat. Most usually, it’s the fat that is stored around hips, belly, thighs, and arms. When calories fall short from the food we consume, gradually the fat deposits get used up and that’s how you lose weight. For example, when you consume 1500 calories in a day and burn 2000 calories through exercise and being active for most part of the day, you are in calorie deficit. Here are 18 Awesome Ways to Create Calorie Deficit for Weight Loss.
4. Cut Down on Sugar: Sugar raises inflammation in the body; and also, insulin resistance due to excess sugar in the body inhibits lipolysis of stored fat. Reduce sugar intake and see the pounds coming off rather quickly.
5. Go Easy on Carbs: Check out Rati Beauty app to find diet programs that show how to go low carb to lose weight because a diet rich in carbs minimizes lipolysis. In fact, taking in carbs before exercise will spike insulin and suppress lipolysis by 35%.
6. Exercise on an Empty Stomach: A good rate of lipolysis can be attained after an overnight fast. In fact, enzymes, hormones, proteins that are involved in fat metabolism increase rapidly in a fasting state and working out in such a state boosts fat burn by a good percentage.
7. Caffeine is good for Weight Loss: Caffeine commonly found in tea, coffee, and also added as a compound in energy drinks, is now being added to fat burning and appetite suppressant supplements. Caffeine is also considered a thermogenic compound which means that it signals body to burn more calories and fat, sounds awesome, right? Caffeine can increase metabolic rate and help your body burn more calories. It also acts as an appetite suppressant which means you would feel less hunger pangs through the day.
8. Build More Muscle: It’s a fact that the more muscle you have, the more fat you will burn. Also, a majority of energy-burning factories called mitochondria are found inside muscle tissue. So, how do you build muscle? Lift weights and build lean muscles.
9. Increase Alpha-lipoic acid: ALA or alpha lipoic acid is an antioxidant which increases metabolism and increases energy expenditure.
10. Capsaicin: Capsaicin causes thermogenesis in the body which causes more calorie burn. There are two types of fat – brown fat and white fat. White fat is found in majority in the body and it’s what causes obesity. Brown or adipose fat on the other hand, helps to regulate body temperature. Capsaicin targets brown fat and turns up the metabolism by activating brown fat. Now, where can we find the substance “capsaicin?” Capsaicin is the active ingredient/phytochemical in chilli peppers, capsicum.
11. Fish Oil Burns more Fat: Fish oil supplies a great deal of omega-3 fatty acids and helps burn fat and build lean muscle mass. This lean muscle mass will help burn more fat through the day.
12. Are you Drinking Green Tea? The antioxidant and catechins in green tea helps to increase the rate of lipolysis. A person can have up to 3 cups of green tea in a day, but not more than that because it can cause dehydration.