Apple cider vinegar has emerged has a star ingredient that is believed to boost weight loss, but do you know ACV can also be applied topically to clear acne and dark spots. The key, though, is to use it in the right way. The highly acidic nature of apple cider vinegar is both a boon and a bane, so it’s a good idea to proceed with caution and to use it correctly because it may not suit people with sensitive skin type. But for people suffering from acne and dark spots, here are 7 ways to use apple cider vinegar.
1. DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner: Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has potent astringent properties that kill the acne-causing bacteria. Using ACV as a toner can be very beneficial to curb and cure acne. For this, you will 2 tablespoons of pure and organic ACV, two cups of pure filtered water and 1 teaspoon of fresh and natural aloe vera gel. Combine all the ingredients well and store in a spray bottle. Use this toner after you cleanse your face. It is both clarifying and hydrating on the skin.
2. DIY Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda Mask: You can easily whip up this DIY face mask with apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Both these ingredients are highly potent when it comes to combating acne, unclogging pores and giving you clean and clear skin. Mix 2 tablespoons of pure and organic ACV with 3 tablespoons of baking soda. Combine well to form a face mask. Apply this to cleansed skin and rinse off once dry.
3. DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Hydrating Face Scrub: To get rid of acne and dark spots on the skin, it is important to unclog the pores. This is done best by the use of a nourishing face scrub that exfoliates effectively without being too abrasive. For this face scrub, you will need 1 teaspoon of ACV, 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of green tea, ½ cup of water and 5 teaspoons of granulated sugar. Boil the green tea in the water and let it cool down. Now, strain this water and mix in all the ingredients to create the final product. This face scrub will give you clean, smooth and spotless skin.
4. Apple cider vinegar spot treatment: If you’re looking to reduce the size and inflammation of a zit overnight, you can use apple cider vinegar for this purpose. Take 2 tablespoons of pure and organic apple cider vinegar and mix it well with 1 cup of unfiltered water. Store the mixture in a spray bottle and spritz it onto a cotton pad. Place the cotton pad against the zit for a minute. Don’t rinse your face until the next morning, and you will find that the pimple has reduced in both size and redness.
5. Facial Steam with Apple Cider Vinegar: Prepare this liquid mixture to be placed in a facial steamer. Add 4 tablespoons of pure and organic apple cider vinegar and a few drops of pure tea tree oil to 2 cups of water. Allow the steam from this mixture to seep into your pores. This will help cleanse and clarify your skin, and effectively treat both acne and dark spots.
6. ACV an Fuller’s Earth Mask: Prepare a mask by mixing 1 tbsp of ACV and 1 tbsp of Fuller’s earth. Mix well to apply a paste. You can also use rose water to dilute ACV and also to make it a smooth paste. Apply on the skin, keep for 10 to 15 minutes, and rinse off. This mask will also clear clogged pores and draw out impurities from within the skin.
7. ACV and Honey Mask: Take half a tbsp of ACV and mix it with 1 tbsp raw honey. Apply this on the face, keep for 10 minutes, and rinse off with normal water. The combination of honey and ACV fights acne-causing bacteria and with regular use, clear up the skin.
In addition to these aforementioned ways, you can add apple cider vinegar to any smoothie or you can consume it directly by diluting it with water. Adding a few drops of apple cider vinegar to any DIY face mask also works effectively.