Well, you hear from everyone about how “eating less calories and burning more doing exercise” can help you get lean and also how drinking 8 glasses of water per day would help you with the same – these are just basic tips that everyone knows by now. Also, these tips have become so cliched that you don’t want to hear them on a loop. However, steering clear of cliched tips, we list out 12 effective weight loss tips that everyone wishes they had known sooner because they are often overlooked but yet highly effective in achieving quicker and safer weight loss.
1. You can Lose Weight by Actually Eating Food, Not Starving: Starvation and food deprivation is not a sustainable weight loss strategy, nor is it an effective one. Slashing calories by a great deal triggers “famine mode” in the body, from which point, various adaptive responses and homeostatic mechanisms kick in to defend body fat – such as slowing down of metabolism, reduction in energy expenditure, increased cravings, etc. With such responses, losing weight becomes difficult and gaining weight becomes much easier. Consume high-volume and low-energy foods with high nutritional value, and eat enough to reach your ideal weight. All details about how to eat right to lose weight are on the Rati Beauty diet. Download the Rati Beauty app for more details.
2. Do not Find Comfort in Food: It’s easy to find solace in comfort food in stressful situations or to calm jittery nerves – because food does help! Especially high-calorie and high-fat stuff which we can easily overindulge in. Researchers have found out that a high-calorie diet eaten in a stressful situation leads to more weight gain when compared to the same diet consumed in a stress-free condition. It’s because the brain produces a molecule called “NPY” in the amygdala in response to stress, which stimulates eating. This study underlines the importance of detaching the food-emotion connection and to watch what we eat under stress. Additionally, in a stressful condition, insulin hormone spikes up 10 times than usual with a high-calorie diet. Insulin, is a fat-storage hormone, so higher insulin in the blood leads to more fat storage, which results in a more difficult time losing weight. We recommend finding other means to de-stress – listen to music, going for a walk or run, listening to music, read books – but do not resort to emotional eating.
3. Do Not Rely on Low Fat and Sugar-Free Stuff To Lose Weight: Many of the stuff that is marketed as “low fat” and “sugar free” are not better alternatives, not in the least “healthy” ways to drop extra pounds. Because when fat content is ripped from food, it usually makes the food bland and tasteless. To appeal to the tastebuds of consumers, companies add stuff like heaps of sugar, refined carbs, salt, emulsifiers, and thickeners which add high amount of calories to the body. Such a tendency defeats the whole purpose where one is actually going “low fat” to lose weight. Also, the body does need a certain amount of “healthy fats” to absorb fat-soluble vitamins (D and E vitamins for example) which are needed for overall good health and for the fat-burning process in general. In the same way, some sugar-free alternatives contain artificial sweeteners such as saccharin, aspartame and sucralose whose regular use can alter gut microbiome. Instead of artificial sweeteners, switch to healthier alternatives such as stevia leaves to sweeten things up and please don’t go pick everything that says “low fat” off the supermarket aisle.
4. Do Not Mistake Thirst Signal for Hunger Pangs: We tend to confuse “thirst” for hunger pangs, and turn to food to quell those signals, adding unnecessary calories that are hard to burn off at the end of the day. That’s why, stay hydrated always! Drink a full glass of water upon waking and sip on water through the day (if you need to set reminders, please do!) Also, keep a bottle handy at all times and keep refilling it through the day.
5. Not All Healthier Alternatives are Actually “Better”: Margarine for example is marketed as a healthier alternative to butter, but wait, margarine is largely made from vegetable oils, salt, and emulsifiers and that toast is from refined flour, and this combo can expand your waistline. Butter, on the other hand, has healthy fats, and it’s completely okay to have in moderation. Here’s a list of “12 Food Items that are Disguised as Healthy But Aren’t.”
6. Detox diets are Fads, Steer Clear: Detox diets that promise to remove toxins can at best help in reducing water weight and not to mention, they are not sustainable, steer clear of them.
7. Food on Diet Need Not Be Bland: Diet food does not have to be bland and tasteless. That’s where Rati Beauty Diet scores over other diets because it revolves around healthy eating to lose weight without compromising on nutrition, and the recipes are so delicious, that it wouldn’t feel at all like you are eating diet food day in and day out. Healthy eating does not have to be boring, Rati Beauty encourages you to try new things instead of limiting yourself to eating the same food day every single day.
8. Avoid Accumulating All Calories Towards the Evening: Please do not starve through the day and save all the calories for dinner because you would most likely binge eat without portion control.
9. Local Produce is Much Better Than Imported Stuff: Locally grown, native foods score over imported ones because they are comparatively fresh and tend to retain higher nutrient value than imported food.
10. Keeping a Food Journal Helps: Keep a record of what you are eating, this helps you to stick to the diet better. In fact, we would recommend clicking picture of everything you eat to weed out unhealthy and high-calorie stuff the next day.
11. Eat food from a bowl rather than a plate to control calorie intake: When you use small plates or bowls, you tend to take smaller amount of food and that would prevent you from eating more than you need. There are also studies that have found that your brain gets tricked and feels satisfied when you eat from a bowl than from a plate. You would feel full when you eat from a small bowl with the same quantity of food that you eat from a larger plate. Also, the bowl’s weight in hand will give you the feeling that you are consuming more food. So, dump that plate and pick a heavy bowl to have your food in.
12. Half Veggies, a Protein Source with Each Meal: It’s the easiest way to feel full without getting in a lot of calories during meals, cover half of your plate with vegetables. Also, make sure to include at least one protein source with each meal to feel fuller as well.
Hope these tips help to become a lighter version of you. 🙂