Facial oils, whether they come in the form of essential oils or cold pressed oils, do a whole lot of good to moisturize and hydrate the skin. There are also some oils that can brighten and lighten skin tone considerably if you use them diligently. In this post, we will find out which oil is best for skin brightening.
Can Facial Oils Whiten Skin Tone?
Our skin color is determined by genetics and it’s not possible to totally alter dark complexion to fair tone; however, if blotchy complexion and sun tan has caused your skin to darken, facial oils can lighten and brighten your skin tone. The melanin pigment produced by melanocytes in skin cells decides the colour of our skin.
The production of melanin can be controlled up to an extent by inhibiting the enzyme tyrosinase, but not completely. Some facial oils have proven to lighten and brighten skin tone. The oils mentioned below work really well to even out skin tone and clear up blotchy complexion.
1. Rosehip oil: Rosehip oil has become hugely popular in the beauty world because of its high antioxidant and skin lightening properties. From commoners to celebrities, everyone is vouching for rosehip oil’s skin brightening benefits. Rosehip oil is derived from the fruit and seeds of rose plant. Rosehip oil works magic on the skin with its high antioxidants, essential fatty acids which help in adding glow and radiance to the skin as well.
2. Saffron Oil: Saffron oil or kesar oil is extracted from the flower of saffron plant. Saffron is a multipurpose ingredient which is used extensively in cooking as well as beauty rituals. Saffron oil cannot be directly applied on the skin, it needs to be mixed in a carrier oil (for example sweet almond oil) and then applied onto the skin. Saffron oil can brighten up skin, reduce scarring, treat hyperpigmentation, and also help fight acne.
3. Turmeric Essential Oil: Turmeric essential oil is extracted from the roots of curcuma longa plant. Turmeric is an inseparable ingredient in Indian cooking. In the same way, turmeric is an important ingredient in a lot of beauty rituals. From fighting off acne to treating stubborn hyperpigmentation, turmeric can do it all. However, this oil too needs to be diluted with olive oil or coconut oil and only then applied on to the skin to avoid inflammation and irritation. Turmeric oil can also lighten and brighten up skin tone.
4. Nalparamadi oil: Nalparamadi oil has been mentioned in Ayurveda for its detanning and skin lightening benefits. It’s a safe formula to lighten up complexion and even out skin tone.
5. Kumkumadi Oil: Kumkumadi oil is another Ayurvedic oil that is made from a mixture of saffron and other potent ingredients that repairs, rejuvenates, and lightens skin.
6. Grapeseed oil: Grapeseed oil is probably the most natural and safest way to lighten and whiten skin tone. Grapeseed oil is rich in linoleic acid and it can remove blemishes, sun tan, and hyperpigmentation. This oil is extracted by cold pressing the seeds of grapes and that’s why this oil is rich in antioxidants. You can mix it with sweet almond oil or olive oil to add radiance and glow to the skin.