By now all of us know that there is no shortcut to shedding those extra kilos. If you are looking at losing body fat, you have to eat a balanced diet, cut down on carb intake, and exercise regularly. But do you know there are some other sneaky ways that can help you burn the fat faster. One of them is by intaking weight loss-friendly foods that speed up the metabolism and help you accelerate the process. Curious to know which are those wonder foods? Keep scrolling down.
1. Fatty fish like Salmon: Salmon, herring, sardines, mackerel and other oily fish contain omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to reduce inflammation and decrease heart disease risk. It is also believed that the omega-3 fatty acids may promote fat loss. It also decreases production of stress hormones which are associated with fat storage. Fish is also rich in protein, which helps you feel full and increases metabolic rate significantly more than digesting fat or carbs. Also, fish and seafood are a source of iodine. This nutrient is necessary for proper thyroid function, which is important to keep your metabolism running optimally.
2. Eggs: Eggs are a powerhouse of protein. While many people believe that egg yolks should be avoided due to high cholesterol content, whole eggs can help protect heart health in those at increased risk of disease. Research has proven that that egg-based breakfasts reduce hunger and promote feelings of fullness for several hours in overweight and obese individuals. Being rich in high quality protein, it increases metabolic rate and boost calorie burning. Here’s a detailed egg diet that you can follow to lose weight.
3. Green Tea: Green tea and its benefits have taken the centre stage in the past few years. The effects of the miracle tea vary from person to person and the quantity you consume. However, it is found that in addition to providing a moderate amount of caffeine, green tea is an excellent source of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), an antioxidant that promotes fat burning and the loss of belly fat. Hence adding a cup or two of green tea may level up your fat burning potential.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is a traditional remedy that has gained the spotlight again. ACV has been credited with reducing appetite and lowering blood sugar and insulin levels in people with diabetes. Also, acetic acid which is the primary component of ACV has been found to increase fat burning and reduce belly fat storage in several animal studies. Diluting ACV (1-2 tablespoons) in a cup of water and drinking everyday can fetch you fast fat loss results.
5. Beans and Legumes: This includes lentils, black beans, kidney beans and some others. These foods tend to be high in protein and fiber, which are two nutrients that have been shown to lead to satiety. Beans and legumes are a good addition to your weight loss diet. They’re both high in protein and fiber, contributing to feelings of fullness and a lower calorie intake.
6. Grapefruit: There’s no denying the fact that fruits are healthy, but one fruit that deserves a special mention, especially in the domain of weight loss is grapefruit. Its effects on weight control have been studied directly and the results are heartening. Eating grapefruit regularly before meals reduced insulin resistance, a metabolic abnormality that is implicated in various chronic diseases. Therefore, it is suggested that you eat half a grapefruit about half an hour before some of your daily meals as it helps you feel more satiated and eat fewer overall calories.
7. Whey Protein: Have you noticed how gym enthusiasts gravitate towards whey protein consumption? The reason is that it’s been shown to promote muscle growth when combined with exercise and may help preserve muscle during weight loss. Besides, whey protein seems to be even more effective at suppressing appetite than other protein sources. It stimulates the release of “fullness hormones,” also known as PYY and GLP-1 so that you do not indulge in unhealthy snacking or binge eating. Research has also shown that a whey protein meal can increase metabolic rate and fat burning more than casein or soy protein meals. So, next time you feel lethargic or hungry, you can grab a whey protein shake which promotes fat loss and may help improve your body composition.
8. Lean meat: While it’s best to steer clear from processed meat, unprocessed red meat may actually be good for you. Contrary to popular opinion, it does not raise the risk of heart disease or diabetes but instead is a weight-loss friendly food. Being loaded with proteins, it boosts your metabolism and aids you burn up to 80–100 extra calories per day. It reduces your hunger pangs for longer hours and makes you stay satiated.
9. Avocados: While most fruits are high in carbs and sugars, avocados are packed with healthy fats. Avocados are rich in monounsaturated oleic acid, the same type of fat found in olive oil. Despite being mostly fat, avocados also contain a lot of water and fiber, making them less energy-dense than you may think. They’re a perfect addition to vegetable salads, as studies show that their fat content can increase carotenoid antioxidant absorption from the vegetables 2.6- to 15-fold. They also contain many important nutrients, including fiber and potassium. So, a moderate intake of avocados can give you different health benefits, including fat burning.
10. MCT Oil: MCT or medium-chain triglycerides, are a type of fat that’s metabolized differently than the long-chain fatty acids found in most foods. Being shorter in length, they are rapidly metabolized and used for energy requirements. They are associated with increase in metabolic rate. In addition, MCTs may reduce hunger and promote better retention of muscle mass during weight MCT oil is made by extracting MCTs from coconut or palm oil. You can add a spoonful to your diet and slowly increase the intake depending on your digestion capacities.