There are certain bad foods that can ruin your weight loss efforts and then there are “worst foods” that can completely derail any progress that you might have made recently. Nutritionists and dieticians are people who help others chart out a balanced diet and through research and studies are able to sort good food from the bad. When it comes to weight loss, it would be wise to look how nutritionists prioritize good over the bad ones. In this post, we list out 20 Worst Foods Nutritionists Would Avoid to Achieve Weight Loss.
1. Margarine: A large people is deceived into believing that margarine is a healthy choice compared to plain butter because the former supposedly has less fat content. But the truth is that margarine is whipped up from vegetable oils with a good amount of transfat and that’s where the problem starts – a lot of countries have started to ban artificial transfat because they are linked to increase in cardiovsacular diseases. Opt for plain butter instead.
2. Diet soda: While regular soda is loaded with empty calories with high sugar content, it’s so-called healthier version is equally bad with artificial sweeteners that are linked with increased risk of high blood pressure and heart disease. While this variety of soda claims to be low on calories, it still manages to spike insulin and trigger the fat storage process. Water is the best beverage ever and nothing can be healthy as plain water.
3. Fat-free Peanut Butter: When fat content is ripped from food, it usually makes it bland and tasteless. To appeal to the tastebuds of consumers, companies add heaps of sugar, refined carbs, salt, emulsifiers, and thickeners which supply a high amount of calories. Such a practice defeats the whole purpose where one is actually going “low fat” to lose weight. Opt for regular fat peanuts with healthy fat which would in fact aid in weight loss, but as with all other sources of healthy fat, moderation is the key here.
4. Fruit juices: Nope, fresh fruit juices are not the same as fresh fruit, and when they come packaged with artificial flavour, color, and preservatives – they do no good to the body. Eat your fruits raw, whole, to get the goodness of fiber and minerals which get lost with the juicing process.
5. Instant Noodles: This variety of noodles get a bad rap on the hand for being made with refined flour with high sodium and unhealthy fat content. Some instant noodles also add monosodium glutamate to enhance the taste and appeal to the customer’s palate. High in empty calories, added preservatives and MSG can cause metabolic diseases too. Alternate option would be zucchini noodles, you would be hooked!
6. Frozen Pizza: As if regular pizza was any good news for weight loss, frozen pizza usually have loads of preservatives, color, and maybe even transfat.
7. Flavoured Greek Yogurt: Though we might think it as a good source of probiotics, flavoured Greek yogurt are also loaded with artificial color, flavour, preserveratives, and loads of added sugar. Better to opt for plain yogurt or just curd with added fresh fruit.
8. Canned Fruits: Fruits that are sliced and soaked in glucose syrup are complete setback to your weight loss goals. Glucose syrup can spiral up your glucose levels and fruits that come dipped in such a liquid might have lost all its nutritional value with only calories left behind.
9. Cheese Crackers/Biscuits: Take a look at this ingredients list – Sugar, vegetable fat, anti-caking agent, emulsifiers, transfat, MSG – what would happen if you bite into these crackers with all these ingredients – you would gain weight!
10. Colorful Candies: These candies look delicious and it’s hard to resist the temptation to gorge on them greedily, but not only are they high in calories with sugar as the main ingredient, they also have added color leading to metabolic disorders.
11. High Corn Fructose Syrup: Granola bars which you think are healthy are probably making you gain weight because of its high fructose corn syrup content, same goes to sauces, jams and jellies. Avoid them like plague.
12. Refined Sugar: Goes without saying, refined sugar is the biggest culprit when it comes to weight gain, obesity, tooth decay, high blood pressure, heart diseases and so on. Read about some of the Healthy Replacements for Healthy Sugar to satisfy your sweet tooth.
13. White Polished Rice: White rice has a high glycemic index, gets digested quickly, causes insulin spikes, leading to rapid rise in blood sugar level, and weight gain. Here are 11 Healthy Alternatives for White Rice for Weight Loss.
14. Packaged Soup: Soup packets are convenient to make and you can get a bowl of warm soup within a few minutes, but with corn flour, vegetable oils, preservatives, anti-caking agents, thickeners, and a whole lot of other ingredients, it’s an unhealthy option to have on a regular basis.
15. Coffee Creamers: It would be wise to check the ingredients list of your coffee creamer that makes your regular coffee so delicious, because if it has transfat, it can quickly raise the cholesterol levels.
16. Soft Drinks: These increase the risk for prediabetes and metabolic disorders.
17. Tomato Sauce: Artificial flavouring, colors, and preservatives make it a bad choice to add flavour to your foods.
11 Healthy Alternatives for White Rice for Weight Loss
10 Easy Weight Loss Secrets Your Nutritionist Wants You to Know
10 Foods You Think Are Healthy But Actually Do More Harm Than Good
50 Healthy Food Swaps That Everyone Should Absolutely Try