You just want to lose the last 5 kgs and nothing seems to be working, but then, time is also running short because you just want to get into that little black dress for the New Year’s party. When you’re trying to lose weight in a short period of time, taking shortcuts may seem convenient, and we may want a fast weight loss experience even though we took years to gain all that weight. When you want to look a bit leaner in just a few days, losing at least 5 kg may become a desperation and before desperate times push you to try desperate measures, and you get tempted to try out ways that can actually do more harm than good, we have taken it upon ourselves to tell you that there are right ways to lose weight and then there are absolutely worst ways to shed extra pounds, and in this post, we list down 10 worst ways to lose 5 kgs, and why you should not even think about trying them.
1. Starting on Restrictive Diets: These are short-term weight loss diets that hardly work and are highly restrictive, not to mention “unhealthy.” For example, on cabbage diet, you can only have cabbage soup and nothing else for days together! Another absurd diet, “the ice cream diet” on which you can have a sweet treat like ice cream daily! These are called fad diets which cut out entire food groups and if anything, you lose major sources of nutrition that these food groups provide. With these fad diets, you can get rid of water weight at the most, not real fat. With lack of nutrients, hair fall, skin issues, and other health problems would follow. So, stay away from such fad diets, instead check out Rati Beauty weight loss diet which helps you burn fat by eating nutritious and real food. Lose weight by eating right, not less, as we say. Download the Rati Beauty app for more details.
2. Hitting the Gym with a Vengeance: Sure, you need to exercise on a regular basis to burn fat, but placing a great deal of importance on exercise and gymming without actually straightening up your diet, is going to backfire. Exercise when done in moderation along with following the right kind of diet will fetch you great results, but on the other hand, hitting the gym with a vengeance without rest or recovery days will lead to injuries and burnout. So, do make sure you give your body enough rest and nourish it by eating real and nutritious food.
3. Practicing Cleansing and Detox Diets: Experts have warned against adopting cleansing routines to lose weight because it is based on drinking lemon-based juice anywhere from 10 to 40 days! The only source of calories and nutrition for the time period would be lemon juice with a few other ingredients mixed in. Not only is such a kind of diet unsustainable, with the lack of nutrition, you might see hair fall and other health problems. What’s more – there’s no research that supports the detox claims made by such diets.
4. Using Laxatives: Some people have a wrong notion that using laxatives can help melt fat and that’s totally absurd! Laxatives are used to treat constipation, but using it as a weight loss strategy, would seemingly fail because it leads to loss of water weight, and repeated use would only lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.
5. Looking for “Fat Free” in Everything: What do most people do when they want to lose weight and eat healthy – get rid of all fat from the diet and pick everything low fat and fat free! What we are unaware is that going “low fat and fat free” can actually make your health worse. In fact, to lose weight and to lead a healthy life in general, you should consume the recommended intake of “good fat.” Through research, it has been established that women who consumed low fat-yogurt had gained more weight in comparison with women who ate moderate amount of full-fat yogurt. When fat content is ripped from food, it usually makes it bland and tasteless. To appeal to the tastebuds of consumers, companies add stuff like heaps of sugar, refined carbs, salt, emulsifiers, and thickeners which add high amount of calories to the body. Such a tendency defeats the whole purpose where one is actually going “low fat” to lose weight. Also, good fats help the body absorb essential vitamins which are all needed for good health and weight loss in general. Most food items that are marketed as “low fat” and “fat free” replace fat content with loads of carbs that when not used as energy, get stored as fat in the body, particularly, around the waist, resulting in belly fat. Therefore, excessive sugar and carbs are major contributors to obesity – not healthy fats.
6. Skipping Meals: You gotta eat to lose weight, skipping meals in an attempt to cut down extra weight, would send the body into a “famine mode” through which the body would conserve energy rather than burn it. Eat healthy, real food and do not drop beyond the requisite number of calories for the body to function normally.
7. Going on a Liquid Diet: Contrary to popular belief, liquid diet with juices and beverages is not healthy. We often forget to count calories with liquids and not to mention, this diet eliminates “fiber” which is an essential component which keeps us fuller for longer and helps the body burn fat. So, switch to nutrient-dense filled solid foods than calorie-loaded liquid drinks.
8. Taking Fat Burner Pills: The fact about fat burners is that they do not work and you may face many side effects such as irregular heartbeat, anxiety, irregular periods, mood swings by taking them. It’s always better and “safe” to opt for natural ways to lose weight – “diet” and “exercise.” In fact, no weight loss journey is worth it if you have to torture yourself through it! And fat burner pills most certainly are not worth it.
9. Smoking to Suppress Appetite: Now, everyone says smoking is injurious to health, and it’s so true, and most definitely, the unhealthiest way to lose weight. Smoking is believed to suppress appetite, but it surely also triggers health problems, heart palpitations, and also slows down metabolism (weight gain is a common outcome). Never pick up the cigarette, even if it’s to suppress appetite.
10. Losing your Sleep Over Weight Loss: Ahh, so the extra weight around the belly area is giving you sleepless nights, but then, we would like to underline the fact that, you need to get at least 7 hours of shut eye in order to burn that fat. Improper sleep leads to dip in metabolism and throws important fat-burning hormones out of whack, so do sleep well every single night.
So, these were 10 absolutely worst ways to lose weight and now you know what to do instead 🙂