The world of stardom is very strange, relationships and marriages are fragile here and can fall apart at any time. In this world of glamour, there are some actresses for whom marriage has brought good luck to their career whereas there are a few actresses who slipped from their heights of success after entering into wedlock. For such beauties, separation from their husband brought back good luck and helped them to re-establish their stardom in the industry. In this post, we will talk about bollywood actresses who became successful after their divorce.
1. Aditi Rao Hydari: Do you know that Aditi Rao Hydari is related to the royal family of Hyderabad and she entered into wedlock when she was just 17. The marriage did not last long and the couple separated due to some complications in their relationship, including age gap and some ideological differences. She was just 21 at that time. Aditi made her film debut soon after and starred in a few South Indian films, but she could taste the real joy of success only after her divorce got finalized. A few of her power-packed performances in movies like Delhi 6, Yeh Saali Zindagi, Rockstar, etc. cemented her place in Bollywood.
2. Chitrangada Singh: Chitrangada Singh was the spouse of popular golfer Jyoti Singh Randhawa but their marriage was not a long-lasting one. They ended their 13 years long marriage in 2014. She became a sensation with Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi (2003). But soon after, her fame quotient in Bollywood reduced and the number of offers also dropped. She worked in a few films thereafter but those films couldn’t leave a mark in the hearts of audience. It was only after her separation that ‘Aao Raaja’ song happened and she got back her fame and name in B-town. Her next flick in Bollywood “Saheb, Biwi Aur Gangster 3” also did well at the box office. However, the movie Desi Boys decided her fate in the industry and it is one of the most prominent roles that she has done in movies.
3. Kalki Koechlin: This Indo-French lady is one of the prominent faces of Hindi cinema who is also known her brains also. Kalki made her debut in Bollywood with the flick “Dev D.” The movie did really well at the B-town and gifted her critical acclaim. It doesn’t end here. It also gave Anurag Kashyap as her life partner. During her marriage with the guy, she could only manage to get small roles in movies, but it was only after the end of marriage that her luck shined and she got to play mainstream characters. One of the notable roles that she played was in the movie “Shaitan” where she proved her mettle as a talented actress. Other great performances by her was seen in movies like ‘Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara’ and ‘Margarita with a Straw’. Her power-packed supporting role in “Yeh Jawani Hai Diwani” was also quite commendable.
4. Mahi Gill: This girl was a popular name in the Punjabi film industry, but success embraced in Bollywood only after she divorced her husband. This separation proved to be lucky for Mahi and she gave some of her finest performances in movies like Dev D, Saheb, Biwi Aur Gangster series and some more punjabi films after that. We hope to see Mahi Gill in more movies in the near future.
5. Mallika Sherawat: Mallika Sherawat began her career as a model and she had been a part of several advertisements and commercials. However, her career catapulted to a different level after separation from her husband. She achieved a new level of stardom and got labeled as a sensuous and bold actress. Her roles in movies like “Khwaish” and “Murder” garnered her lot of attention and marked her in the list of s*xiest B-town ladies. She is considered to be one of the most tight-lipped ladies of Bollywood and rarely talks about the reason of divorce from her husband, Karan Gill. Mallika has not only earned fame in Hindi industry but she has also done movies in Hollywood. These days she is not seen in Bollywood at all, but we will always remember her for her bold looks.
6. Rakhee Gulzar: Raakhee was earlier married to Ajay Biswas. While being bound by wedlock with her husband, Raakhee couldn’t be the person she had aspired to be. Some sections even reported that her choice to join the acting industry did not go well with her husband and caused cracks in their marriage. Soon after, they parted ways and lived separately. The real breakthrough in her career came after she became single. Some of her outstanding performances began after she exited her married life, starting with the movie “Sharmilee.” Later on, she married lyricist Gulzaar and filmmaker Meghna Gulzar is their daughter.
7. Vidya Malvade: Do you remember the Chak De India! girl Vidya Malvade? She had been an air hostess before joining the film industry. During her period when she worked as an air hostess, she met her future husband, captain Arvind Singh Bagga. But her husband passed away in a plane crash and Vidya moved on in her life. Her next step was entry into Bollywood. Her first few films went unnoticed and did not give her much fame, but her role in CHak De India! turned down the tables and established her as a promising actress in Bollywood. In 2009, Vidya tied the knot with screenwriter, Sanjay Dayma.
8. Zeba Bakhtiar: This Pakistani film and television actress, Zeba, rose to stardom after separation with the singer husband, Adnan Sami. This beautiful actress tied the knot with Adnan in 1995 but the relationship did not go on smoothly. Eventually, things ended and the couple dragged each other in a battle for their only son, Azaan. Zeba did one of the best performances of her life in the movie, “Henna” in 1991 but that did not have any big impact on her fate. She had to struggle to remain in the limelight. Luck was not supporting Zeba but after the infamous divorce, things changed overnight. She got to star in famous roles of movies like Babu, 021 and Bin Roye. She presently works as a producer with her son and is focused to bring more variety to Pakistani television.
9. Leela Chitnis: She was one of the most prominent faces of the Hindi film industry who tied the knot with a much older man, Dr Gajanan Yeshwant Chitnis, at a very young age and went on to have four children. This actress kept doing random roles but nothing did magic to her career. It was only after she decided to go for separation that her luck changed. This actress got the major break in her career and never had to look back after getting divorced. She rose to stardom by playing mothers of leading stars in movies. Overnight, she became a household name and earned the respect of the industry.
Are you aware of any other actress who became successful after divorce? Then, let us know in the comments section below.