‘There’s no biz like showbiz’, goes the age old proverb and rightfully so. The word ‘celebrity’ and all its different manifestations in different languages worldwide, is synonymous to film actors and actresses in common parlance the world over. When we talk of stars and starlets as well as their hierarchy (superstar, megastar, uber star and so on) all of us are naturally inclined to think along the lines of popular Movie/film personalities. And the biggest stage on globe, the greatest of the great, the best in the trade, all want to have a stint in Hollywood – because there’s no stage bigger and better than Hollywood. So today, we list all the Bollywood Actresses Who Have Starred In Hollywood Films and have made us proud.
1. Priyanka Chopra: The multi-talented desi girl, our beloved Piggy Chops has starred in the Hollywood super hit television series, Quantico that has won her acclaim and accolades across the world. With Priyanka’s lead performance in the portrayal of an FBI agent, Quantico is lauded by many as one of the best American television series in recent years, winning her a People’s Choice Award as well. And no one can forget Priyanka’s cast in the negative role in the uber hit television series turned million dollar movie, Baywatch, featuring Dwayne ‘the Rock’ Johnson and Zack Effron. Recently, she also appeared in the “Sucker” music video with her husband nick Jonas which has collected huge fame in the global music charts.
2. Deepika Padukone: This Bollywood diva has made her debut into Hollywood with a literal Bang, opposite Vin Diesel in the latest of the super hit franchise, ‘XXX: the Return of Xander Cage’. And she has received worldwide acknowledgement, and rightfully so, for her brilliant performance in the film. Looks like she has it in her to dominate both Bollywood and Hollywood.
3. Aishwarya Rai: This Bollywood queen with blue eyes has moved on to conquer the Hollywood Big Screens, being cast in a multitude of diverse roles in multiple blockbusters and acting opposite legendary artists like Colin Firth and Sir Ben Kingsley. Starting with the critically acclaimed “Bride and Prejudice” in 2004 and moving on to act in a succession of movies like “The Pink Panther 2”, “Provoked”, “The Last Legion” and “The Mistress of Spices”, she has proved her mettle on the Silver Screen in Hollywood and is here to stay for a pretty long time to come.
4. Frieda Pinto: Her debut performance in the Oscar winning Hollywood Super hit film “Slumdog Millionaire” had her marked for life as an actress to look out for, catapulting her to instant stardom. Over the years her performances have mesmerized audiences in India and abroad in films like “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” and “The Immortals”. Frieda Pinto, you go girl!!!
5. Mallika Sherawat: After a list of successes, we must now try to come to terms with a flop buster that perhaps did irreparable damage to the image of Bollywood as a pool of talented actors and actresses. No one knows what possessed Mallika Sherawat to star in ‘Hisss’ that may have done ok in Indian box offices but was as quickly forgotten as it went off the list on theatres. She did try to salvage herself a year later in the film, ‘ Politics of Love’, but it went mostly unnoticed, the plot being the unlikely love story between a Democrat and a Republican – which is sheer absurdity epitomized.
6. Tabu: She has always been considered as one of the more serious actresses in the otherwise frivolous B-town and she cemented the same reputation in Hollywood too with her somber yet exquisitely elegant and brilliant performances in two critically acclaimed movies based on novels of the same name, Namesake and Life of Pi. She made us proud.
7. Shabana Azmi : This veteran actress, celebrated for her beauty and versatility as an artist, has gone made her debut in Hollywood, decades before anyone in India thought that it was possible for Bollywood actresses to go that far. And in a way she is the pathfinder, the harbinger of sorts, in this category. Shabana Azmi continues to be appreciated till this day for her brilliant performances in movies like John Schlesinger’s Madame Sousatzka in 1988 and Roland Joffe’s City of Joy released in 1992. Shabana Azmi continues to shine like the rare gem that she is … an icon of B-town.
8. Nargis Fakhri: She is one those talented actresses who has been a recent addition in the list of actresses who have been to Hollywood. Can you guess the name of the movie? It’s the 2015 action-comedy film “Spy” where Nargis essayed the role of a special agent. This fit lady even did all the action sequences by herself without using any body double. Kudos to you, girl! We hope to see you in more Hollywood films in future.
So beloved readers, tell us what you think of the list and mention any names that we might have missed out from it and as always share your thoughts in the comments section below. Till next time- Bye!!!