Your grocery list can actually determine whether you are going to lose weight or gain a few more kgs over the coming weeks. That’s why one should place a lot of importance while preparing the grocery list because you might be bringing home stuff that can flood your body with loads of calories, unhealthy fats, high sodium and sugary foods, making it extremely difficult to keep off the weight. Also, it would a great habit to read nutrition labels behind food products because they would give you a picture of the total calories, saturated fat content, added sodium or sugar levels, and all other ingredients involved in the making of that particular product. Shopping without a grocery list can push you towards unhealthy foods that can attract with colorful packaging and unverified claims. You can check Rati Beauty weight loss diets to find out what kind of food can help you with weight loss. In this post, we urge you to cross these items of your grocery list and lose weight in the process.
1. Margarine – Made with vegetable oils, it is extremely high in calories, and there’s a huge misconception that replacing butter with margarine is a healthy choice because it has low fat content, but the truth is that margarine is made from vegetable oils, salt, and emulsifiers that can raise inflammation in the body, and lead to belly fat. Stick to plain butter please.
2. Soft Drinks/Diet Soda: Any kind of soda is bad for weight loss, diet soda has loads of artificial sweeteners, which are equally bad as refined sugar. Soft drinks are all about sugar and empty calories, and that’s why you have to cross them off.
3. Instant noodles: Lacking in fiber, nutrients, and high in calories, instant noodles can be comfort food for many, but it’s not good for weight loss at all.
4. Processed Meat: Any kind of processed food poses a health risk, even if it’s meat or readymade meals because they have transfat content that makes it difficult to lose weight.
5. Salad Dressings: Salads are super healthy no doubt and great for people who want to drop weight, but store-bought dressings can add the calories in the form of unhealthy fat, high sodium, and sugar ingredients.
6. Canned Fruits: Canned fruits are not equal to fresh fruits. These fruits come soaked in high-corn fructose syrup which is totally bad for health and weight loss efforts
7. Packaged fruit juices: Though these juices may claim to be 100% concentrated juice without any preservatives, the story is far from it – nothing can replace whole fruit with high fiber content. These juices not only lack the precious fiber content, they also might have preservatives and artificial flavours in them. Reading the ingredient list will reveal the whole story and the real truth.
8. Readymade coffee drinks: Refined sugar is added to make such coffee drinks appealing to the tastebuds. Brew your coffee to get that caffeine kick.
9. Artificially flavoured Yogurt: Though we might think it as a good source of probiotics, flavoured Greek yogurt are also loaded with artificial color, flavour, preserveratives, and loads of added sugar
10. Cookies/Biscuits: Made from refined flour, it’s not healthy for the gut or for health.
11. Cupcakes/Cakes: All baked items in fact have unhealthy fats and loads of calories.
12. Frozen Pizza: If you have been indulging in frozen pizza lately, it’s better to strike it off the grocery list because it is made with unhealthy ingredients and high in refined carbs, artificial ingredients, and unhealthy fats.
13. Processed Cereals: Do not replace your regular breakfast with cereals, they are unhealthy way to start your day with. Even most of muesli packets with dehydrated fruits that are covered with artificial colors have added sugar and that makes them not good for weight loss.
14. White Bread: Switch to brown bread because white bread is made of refined carbs which is totally not okay for belly fat.
15. Frozen Desserts/Ice Cream: It’s an easy guess why we are asking you to stay off ice cream and frozen desserts – it’s all about sugar and calories here.
16. Microwavable Popcorn: Popcorn is considered a low-calorie snack, but the microwavable bags of popcorn usually have a compound called diacetyl that impart that buttery flavour to popcorn but can result in a disease called “popcorn lungs” which is basically inflammation of the lungs. Pop your own popcorn with butter and corn kernels.
17. Potato Chips: Potato chips are not okay, not even the baked ones because when potatoes are baked at extremely high temperatures, they release a compound called acrylamides, which can cause cancer. Acrylamides are linked to abdominal obesity. Research has found that baked chips usually have three times more acrylamides than normally fried chips. So, even though potato chips are extremely delicious, an easy snacking option, and your best companion when you are bored – potato chips are extremely bad if you are trying to slim down from the middle.
18. Jams/Sauces: Fruit jams are the most preferred spread on toasts and breads, but they have high sugar content that can spike insulin and lead to weight gain with regular use. It’s not just tomatoes, there are a whole lot of chemicals in that sauce bottle.
19. White Pasta: It’s made from refined flour and devoid of nutrients, fiber, and full of empty calories. Switch to whole wheat pasta that has relatively more fiber content.
20. Vegetable Oil: We often ignore the importance of cooking oils and usually opt for refined and vegetable oils that actually have unsaturated fats that can heighten inflammation in body cells and increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Here’s a list of 7 Low-Fat Cooking Oils for Indian Cooking and List of Healthiest Oils for Deep Frying Food that you can opt for instead of vegetable oils.
21. Refined Sugar: Eliminating white sugar is the most easiest way to shed extra pounds without actually breaking a sweat. Choose better alternatives like jaggery because it flushes out toxins from the body, clearing out the airway, and since it’s rich in potassium, iron, and other minerals, it’s much better than refined sugar. When you experience low energy levels and can’t binge on sugar, try jaggery (Indian gud) or organic honey in your tea, coffee, juice etc to increase your energy levels. Also, stevia leaves is the most safest form that can be used instead of artificial sweeteners or white sugar.