Mummy tummy, pot belly, paunch, hanging belly, tummy fat – call it whatever you may, but we all would agree that it’s extremely difficult to flatten it out. The stubbornness of belly fat in melting away even with rigorous exercise is due to the fact that most fat cells in the belly area have alpha receptors that do not readily participate in the fat-burning process. However, when you want to try every trick in the book to get a smaller waist, here are 9 hacks to burn belly fat, and that too while you are getting your beauty sleep.
1. The first obvious thing to do is to get enough sleep: Getting good quality sleep, and that too for at least 7 to 8 hours, can do wonders for the whole weight loss process. You can literally have no food during the day and exercise like crazy for hours, but without a good night’s sleep, the tummy fat would not go anywhere. The better you sleep at night, more would be the chances of the body burning visceral fat, and flattening out the pooch. Also, when you wake up, it would be with a strong metabolism and low levels of ghrelin hormone (which is the hormone that makes you hungry). Additionally, 7 hours of sleep would help reduce cortisol level (stress hormone), which is one of the major reasons for increase in belly fat.
2. Go into a Calorie Deficit During the Day: It’s essential to get into a calorie deficit to burn overall fat, especially belly fat, because if there are excess calories in the body, it would be hard to reach out to the fat stores, particularly around the waist area. Lower down calorie intake by 500 calories to lose fat safely, exercise to burn excess calories, and that would help you to flatten the belly fat. Check out meal plans on the Rati Beauty diet which would help you shed weight the right way without food deprivation.
3. Increase Protein and Fiber Content: Protein is an important macronutrient and more so if you are trying to lose weight and build muscle. It has thermogenic properties, keeps you fuller for longer, increases metabolism, and burns more calories in the process. Eat a protein-rich diet during the day – find such meal plans on the Rati Beauty app.
4. Sleep with All Lights Switched Off: We cannot stress enough the importance of good sleep, and melatonin, which is the sleep hormone, and improves metabolism and helps to convert stubborn white fat to brown, increases when all lights are blocked (including blue light from your phone and gadgets). Even a bit of light can reduce melatonin production and lower metabolism. So, sleep in complete darkness and keep away phone and other gadgets at least one hour before hitting the bed.
5. Sleep in Comfortable Clothing: When you sleep in comfortable and loose clothing, it helps you to sleep better, and by now, we definitely know that good sleep is equal to faster weight loss.
6. Set the AC to a Lower Temperature: Brave a bit of cold by lowering the AC at a lower number because this practice can help to burn more brown fat, and cut down belly fat.
7. Consume Fat Burning Foods During the Day: Foods with healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, seeds, avocado, ghee) etc., have healthy fats (monosaturated fatty acids) that actually help to lower inflammation and burn belly fat. Check out the Rati Beauty diet for more details.
8. Avoid Transfat: Completely avoid transfat content in your diet (say no to processed food), because transfat not only causes rapid weight gain, it actually mobilizes fat from other parts of the body to the belly area!
9. Try HIIT During the Day: HIIT stands for high intensity interval training and not only does a short-duration HIIT burn more calories, it helps release more visceral fat and most of it happens when your body is resting. The best thing about HIIT is that your body burns more calories even hours after the workout has been done. Check out this 7-Minute HIIT Routine that anyone can do in the comfort of one’s home.
Follow these tips and you would definitely be able to shave off extra fat from your tummy area.