“The best time to start was yesterday, but the second best time is now!” If you have been procrastinating “working out,” citing lack of time, it’s just an excuse! When you make weight loss a priority, squeezing out just 30 to 40 minutes out of 24 hours for workout/exercise would be a breeze. As we have always maintained, weight loss is all about 80% diet and 20% exercise, and if you are skimping on exercise while trying to lose weight, you may drop pounds and kilograms, but would not get a toned physique or shape when you reach your goal weight. We would also like to point out that lack of exercise leads to lethargy, weight gain, and increased risk of lifestyle disorders. Once you make your mind to workout, you just have to get the workout clothes and shoes on, and it’s quite easy to take it from there. If you sincerely want to exercise but cannot just find the time to do so, we list down some amazing ways on how to sneak in more exercise in your busy routine. But first, let’s find out the benefits of regular exercise (five times per week):
Benefits of Regular Exercise:
1. Keeps you fit.
2. Improves blood circulation.
3. Reduces symptoms of stress, relieves tension.
4. Improves energy levels.
5. Help accelerate weight loss process.
6. Exercise improves mental health
7. Boosts immunity.
8. Reduces the risk of cardiovascular and other life-threatening disorders.
9. Improves mood, mental clarity.
How to Sneak in more Exercise in your Busy Routine:
1. Start with just 10 or 15 Minutes of Exercise: To set things in motion and get rolling, start with just 10 minutes. In fact, take baby steps literally if you haven’t exercised before – beginning with intense physical exercise for one hour may exhaust and burn you out, and doing it everyday will seem like a daunting task. Check out Rati Beauty app for effective exercises that you can do at home, of all intensities, and across all forms, to boost weight loss. Rather than seeing exercise as a task, you would start enjoying the whole process.
2. Wake up Half an Hour Early: If you do a lot of procrastination when it comes to exercise, it would be a great idea to wake up early and workout the first thing in the morning rather than pushing it towards the end of the day where energy levels would be quite low to do even basic stretching.
3. Stretch Whenever Possible, Wherever Possible: Whether you are scrolling through phone on the bed or watching TV on the couch, try to do basic stretching exercises wherever you can.
4. Indulge in NEAT activities all through the day: Abbreviated as NEAT, it is the energy we use for everything we do in our day-to-day life except for when we are sleeping or exercising. Using the stairs instead of the lift, squatting on the floor to lift something up, walking while talking on the phone, every activity we do while being on our feet, comes under NEAT. All these activities help to burn some amount of calories and these bits of calories spent here and there, add up to a considerable amount when you are trying to lose weight. We all know that for weight loss to happen, there should a calorie deficit and also high resting metabolic rate, which means we should be using up more calories than the amount we are consuming each day. Since most of us lead sedentary lifestyle and our jobs require us to stay scrunched up in the sitting position for long hours, the levels that lead up to NEAT decrease considerably – that’s the reason why instead of burning calories, our body tends to pile up calories and there’s buildup of fat in the body. Interestingly, researchers have proven that one could easily burn up to 2000 calories by just being on their feet for a good part of their day!
5. Try Bed Workout: You can do crunches, leg raises, table tops – all of them while staying in your bed!
6. Deskercise: You would be amazed to find out different exercises that you can do while staying at the desk and burn calories – chair dips, squats, seated bicycle crunches, elevated pushups, bottle dumbbell over-the-head press are just a few examples.
7. 5-Minute Exercise: Planks, Jumping jacks, squats, lunges, pushups, high knees take just 5 minutes or less and you can do them while watching TV.
8. Take the elevator whenever possible.
9. Do Household Chores: Cleaning, dusting, mopping – all these activities can burn calories and keep your home clean and organized.
10. Walk to Nearby Stores: Avoid using car or bike to go to nearby stores, walk and count those steps.
11. Practice spot walking and spot jogging whenever you can.
12. Practice these Exercises While Brushing Teeth: Squats, high knees, wall sit can all be done while you are brushing your teeth.
13. Walk while you Talk on Phone: Make it a habit to walk and talk on the phone, never sit down or lie down on the couch while talking.
14. Wash the Dishes: Agreed, washing the dishes is a boring job, but when you do it standing, you get to burn quite a lot of calories.
15. Dance whenever you can!
16. Fidget legs while Sitting at the Desk for Long Hours: Studies have revealed that when you sit for long hours at the desk, it can put you at the risk of developing arterial disease, and when you fidget the legs at a pace, it does get some kind of activity doe.
17. Find Like-Minded Friends: Try to find friends who want to exercise and can motivate you to do so.
18. Make use of lunchtime: You can easily squeeze 10 minutes during the lunch-time to exercise, to stretch, and practice some basic yogasanas.