By Zoya R.
This is my first review for IMBB 🙂 I discovered this site quite recently and since I am slightly into makeup, I decided I would try writing here. So, here I was in this makeup cum department store looking for a lip balm. I am not one of those girls who wear a lot of makeup, but I do like it (how can anyone possibly not). So, the SA asked me what I was looking for and helped me out. She asked me if I was looking for a lip colour. She asked me what brand I was looking for and I said Lakme because my mom always said, “you can’t go wrong with Lakme.” I picked a shade from Lakme’s 9 to 5 collection which the SA said looked really good on me, I went outside the shop to check it out in the light, and I too found it pretty good. It was love at first sight (too bad this story had a sad ending). The shade I picked up is called “Brownie Point.”
My Take on Lakme 9 to 5 Lip Color – Brownie Point:
The shade is a beautiful red version of brick with brown base in it. I honestly don’t know how to describe it better than that. So, I came home and tried it, and this shade was so not me suddenly, it’s too brick coloured for my skin tone. Nonetheless, I can make it work with some clear gloss (not a complete tragedy I would say).
The shade is fairly matte and I know for a fact that most people don’t tend to like matte shades because its very difficult to carry them off. This lipstick is so matte that if you just go a little overboard, it’s going too look cakey and very unappealing. I do love matte lipsticks, so I am pretty happy with the product.
Its really smooth on application and for the first few minutes, you don’t really feel that there is anything on your lips. My lips dry out really fast so this may just be my problem, but I find this lipstick to be lacking in moisture. I feel like it literally dries out my lips in very less time.
It’s a pretty good colour and I find it nicely pigmented. Its really smooth and glides on to the lips fairly easily. It comes in this pretty pink packaging. You get 3.6 ml and it comes with an expiry period of one year, which is pretty normal I would say. It also says MB3 and I can’t figure out what that means.
Pros of Lakme 9 to 5 Lip Color – Brownie Point:
- The colour is beautiful. It’s wrong for me, but that’s my and the SA’s fault. It’s not highly pigmented, so you can build it, hence I would say its nicely pigmented, which gives you at least three shades from the same lipstick (light, medium and dark).
- Though it does not last for 8 hours, it does for a good 6 hours including meals, so that’s pretty good.
- Love the packaging, its chic.
- Glides on really well.
- Easy to apply, even without a lip brush.
- The best thing I like about this is that it leaves the lips looking slightly fuller, even without a liner.
- All in all, its a pretty good lipstick for the price you pay, it doesn’t get better than this in my opinion.
- You can’t really feel it’s there, it’s not heavy.
Cons of Lakme 9 to 5 Lip Color – Brownie Point:
- Major fault according to me is that it doesn’t seem to have any SPF. I mean we live in India and everything should have SPF according to me, but then most lipsticks don’t, this one makes my lips darker.
- It doesn’t really do anything for lip conditioning/moisturizing. I would say you totally have to use lip butter. I have super dry lips.
- With lip balm application, it doesn’t last long which sucks because when you say “9 to 5,” it should last. Having said that, it lasts way longer than most lipsticks I own.
- It tastes funny, I don’t like that one bit.
- No real information about ingredients on the pack.
- It doesn’t fill in the crease of the lips, I wouldn’t recommend you apply it without your lip balm/butter, etc.
I totally recommend this lipstick to people who use NC 40 foundation (and around those shades) from MAC and really fair people, and its a really good shade for office wear.
Would I Repurchase Lakme 9 to 5 Lip Color – Brownie Point?
No, but I will probably get these in a few more shades. I do adore it and for the price you pay, its good stuff.
3.5/5 (extra 0.5 for the packaging and minus 0.5 for not moisturizing).