Kim Kardashian received a lot of flak recently when she revealed details about her extreme dieting routine to fit into a figure-hugging dress that was initially worn by Marilyn Monroe way back in 1962, on President John F. Kennedy’s 45th birthday. Marilyn Monroe created a stir when she wore a shimmery sheer dress and 60 years later, Kim Kardashian managed to create the same kind of noise, although for a different reason – for following an extremely restrictive diet and for wearing sauna suit daily in order to trim approximately 7.2 kg in two weeks – just to fit into this iconic dress. Experts all over the world raised a hue and cry on how Kim Kardashian was kind of promoting a wrong kind of slim-down formula which is not at all safe. Many termed it as crash dieting, slashing down calorie intake drastically, to manipulate the body to shed weight (most of it water and muscle weight), and warned of it having dangerous consequences – hair fall, health issues, malnutrition, imbalance in blood sugar, low blood pressure, extreme weakness listed out some common side effects. Further, they say, the results are short lived since the body would gain all the extra pounds once you are off such a restrictive diet. If you are thinking of going the Kim Kardashian way, experts warn that there can be serious health repercussions associated. While celebs like Kim Kardashian promote wrong methods and strategies to lose weight quickly, there are much more safer ways to get lean and fit. Read all about them here.
1. Fill your Meal Plate with Veggies: You can ensure nutrient intake is not compromised by portioning up half of your meal plate with veggies. Instead of eating as less as possible, make enough room for nutrient-dense and low-calorie food such as veggies. Additionally, a lot of veggies have antioxidants that reduce inflammation and help manage weight better. In fact, check out this list of “12 Top Vegetables that also help reduce Tummy Fat.”
2. Start with a Protein-Rich Breakfast: Protein is an important nutrient for weight loss because it keeps one full for longer, keeps unnecessary cravings away, promotes fat burning, boosts metabolism, and helps with muscle building. Starting your day with a protein-rich breakfast keeps you full for most part of the day, keeps hunger hormone “ghrelin” in check, helps burn more calories with its thermogenic properties, and curbs frequent hunger pangs. Do check out the Rati Beauty diet to find recipes of protein-rich breakfast that would help with inch loss as well as overall weight loss.
3. Quit Sugar for 14 Days, In All Forms: Love cupcakes, cookies, desserts, biscuits, chocolates, all mithai in general? To lose weight quickly, quit all of them for at least 14 days. Sugar has loads of empty calories and causes insulin spike, and as we all know by know, insulin is also a hormone that encourages fat storage in the body. Also, spike in insulin and subsequent slump will leave you craving for more food, upping your daily calorie intake. Quit sugar and you can see the weight drop relatively fast.
4. These Minerals Help you Shed Extra Weight: Minerals are nutrients that are necessary to run a lot of important body functions, from carrying blood to your vital organs to relaying neurotransmitters in the brain. Minerals like chromium, zinc, magnesium, iodine, calcium all help in the fat-burning process and crash dieting can deprive you of essential vitamins and minerals that only whole and natural foods can provide. Research has found that calcium and chromium deficiencies can in fact lead to weight gain. So, do make sure you are not missing out on these essential minerals, readily available through whole foods, fruits, and veggies.
5. Form Healthy Eating Habits: Mindful eating, portion control, avoiding frequent snacking, cutting out the frequency of eating out/ordering food are part of healthy eating habits that will show visible results within a few days.
6. Do NEAT all Day Long: Being on your feet throughout the day helps in burning calories and keeps metabolism robust. One hour of gymming is never enough to lose weight, keep moving throughout the day and practice NEAT activities. NEAT stands for non-exercise activity thermogenesis and is the energy we use for everything we do in our day-to-day life except for when we are sleeping or exercising. Using the stairs instead of the lift, squatting on the floor to lift something up, walking while talking on the phone, every activity we do while being on our feet, comes under NEAT. All these activities help to burn some amount of calories and these bits of calories spent here and there, add up to a considerable amount when you are trying to lose weight. Read more about how you can include NEAT activities in your daily life here.
7. Don’t Compromise on Good-Quality Sleep: Getting good quality sleep, and that too for at least 7 to 8 hours, can do wonders for the whole weight loss process. You can literally have no food during the day and be a gym rat, but without a good night’s sleep, it becomes absolutely difficult to lose weight. The better you sleep at night, more would be the chances of the body burning visceral fat and flattening out of the tummy fat. Also, when you wake up, it would be with a strong metabolism and low levels of ghrelin hormone (which is the hormone that makes you hungry). Additionally, 7 hours of sleep would help reduce cortisol level (stress hormone), which is one of the major reasons for increase in belly fat.
8. Say no to Processed Food: Completely avoid any form of processed food (any food with more than 5 ingredients listed on the package). Eat food in its natural form, without any preservatives or additives. Also, make sure there’s absolutely no transfat in your diet because it’s the main reason behind buildup of belly fat.
9. Try HIIT Exercises: HIIT stands for high intensity interval training and not only does a short-duration HIIT burn more calories, it helps release more visceral fat and most of it happens when your body is resting. The best thing about HIIT is that your body burns more calories even hours after the workout has been done. Check out this “7-Minute HIIT Routine” that anyone can do in the comfort of one’s home.
With these tips, it’s easy to lose weight, and safely too!