Apple cider vinegar is hyped as an ingredient that can boost the fat-burning process; with many people pinning all their weight loss hopes on a jar of this tangy, acidic juice without straightening up their diet or amping up their physical activity. But is apple cider vinegar worth all the hype? ACV is used in many different ways – to spot treat acne, to clear dandruff, even as a clarifying treatment to remove scalp buildup. Also, apple cider vinegar has been used since ancient times for its anti-microbial properties, in traditional medicine to lower cholesterol, and even as a preservative. As mentioned earlier, though ACV shots have gained popularity as a tool in the battle against the bulge, the fact remains that there’s no single ingredient that can replace a calorie-deficit diet and consistent exercise. So, let’s dig into reasons why apple cider vinegar helps with weight loss.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Raw, unfiltered, minimally processed apple cider vinegar has antioxidants, enzymes, and minerals. It is believed to boost immunity along with imparting detoxifying properties. Unfiltered apple cider vinegar would look cloudy with tiny filaments floating in it, which is known as “the mother” and means that the vinegar still contains its enzymes and nutrients intact. Apple cider vinegar is made by combining fresh apple juice with yeast where the sugar gets converted to alcohol (that explains the strong odor and taste). Some strains of bacteria are also added to ferment the apple juice to get acetic acid. Having 1 tablespoon of apple cider diluted in one full glass of water before every meal is believed to help with weight loss, but do you want to know if there’s any truth behind these beliefs? Read about 5 Reasons Why Apple Cider Vinegar Helps with Weight Loss.
1. The Main Ingredient in ACV is Acetic Acid Which Suppresses Body Fat Accumulation: According to some studies, acetic acid (the main constituent of ACV), improves metabolism (increasing energy expenditure) and also suppresses body fat accumulation.
2. Lowers Blood Sugar and Improves Insulin Sensitivity: ACV has been found to lower blood sugar and improve insulin resistance. Insulin, as we all know, not only regulates blood sugar, it is also facilitates the storage of fat in body cells.
3. It’s Fermented!: Since apple cider vinegar is obtained through the fermentation process, it is great for the gut. Studies have shown that the gut bacteria play a big role in the way we store fat, and that’s why a healthy gut, can help us slim down.
4. Suppresses Appetite: ACV extends the stay of food in stomach, delays gastric emptying. According to a study, apple cider vinegar also stimulates satiety and promotes fullness, and helps to curb appetite.
5. Relieves Bloating: Walking all day long like a puffer fish? Apple cider vinegar can help get rid of the bloat if low stomach acid is the reason. Since ACV is acidic in nature, it helps to restore pH balance in the stomach, raising the acid levels and therefore improving digestion and preventing bloating.
However, too much ACV will be counterproductive, it can lead to depletion of an essential mineral like potassium, dipping blood sugar too low, can even irritate the esophagus and erode enamel of teeth due to its highly acidic nature.
The best way to drink apple cider vinegar is in a diluted form or in a bowl of salad, and never to go beyond the recommended intake.
Most importantly, there’s no single ingredient or superfood that can replace a good diet and exercise routine when it comes to weight loss. And you can find such calorie-deficit diet plans on the Rati Beauty app. Please download the app for more details.
How To Lose Weight without Slowing Down Metabolism
14 Tips To Get Rid of Bloated Tummy