As the name suggests, a low fat diet is one in which the amount of fat you eat is restricted. So, if you are struggling with overweight or obesity or have a medical condition like hypertension or high blood glucose level, an appropriate balanced diet followed by good a workout routine would help you in tackling aforesaid issues. And pursuing a low fat diet regime has been the ubiquitous prescription by health professionals and fitness experts for a while now. So today, we shall attempt to enlist food items that should be avoided if one is on said low fat diet. So, let us begin:
1. French Fries and Potato Chips: The key ingredient in both these delicacies include potatoes. Although potatoes are themselves rather healthy and filling however the preparation of French fries and potato chips can make French fries fattening. Boiled potatoes are filling and fine however it is best to avoid fried potato items when one is on a low fat diet.
2. Sugary Drinks: It has been stated by all major health organizations and attested by medical experts the world over that sugar-sweetened drinks and beverages are the unhealthiest of all food items. They are greatly responsible for unnecessary weight gain on frequent consumption and have been identified as the leading cause for high blood glucose levels and unwanted cholesterol besides a sedentary lifestyle. As such, sugary drinks should be avoided by those on a low fat diet.
3. White Bread: White bread is a highly refined (artificially) food item with a unhealthy proportion of added sugar for taste. As a result, they are responsible for spiking the blood glucose levels in patients considerably and also result in unwanted weight gain. So, it too should be avoided.
4. Candy: Candy, especially candy bars are extremely unhealthy. They contain a lot of refined flour, added sugars and oils, all of which wreak havoc on our health. We should strictly avoid candy bars when we are on a low fat diet.
5. Bottled Fruit Juices: Most of the popular varieties of bottled fruit juices that fill up the shelves at supermarkets have very little to do with with whole fruits. They are manufactured with a lot of added sugar, artificial colors, without any actual fruit fiber. As such they are at times just as bad as sugary drinks and can practically be grouped as one. So such bottled fruit juices should be avoided at all cost by those on a low-fat diet.
6. Cakes and Cookies: Pastries, cakes and cookies are some of the most fattening food items in the market. And given the fact that they contain ingredients that practically guarantee unwanted weight gain then they merit to be avoided. Those on a low fat diet must resist their urges to gorge on such food items and stick to their regime.
7. Beer: Although alcoholic drinks such as dry wine are beneficial for health beer as a variety of alcoholic beverage is a strict no no for those who are on a low fat diet. Beer is noted for its fattening tendencies and as such merits avoiding. Even hard liquor is fine on a low fat diet but never beer.
8. Ice Cream: This delicious delicacy, a favourite among all, from nine to ninety, is infamous for being a fearfully fattening food item. Thus it is most prudent to resist the temptation of indulging in ice-cream especially for those who are on a low fat diet.
9. Junk Food: Pizza, pasta, chips, muffins, donuts, pancakes, waffles, miscellaneous fries and other assorted junk food are known culprits for unwanted weight gain and as such it is best to avoid them when on a low fat diet.
10. Butter and Mayonnaise: These two whether used as condiments or cooking ingredients, are ill famed as being insanely fattening and hence should be off the menu of all on a low fat diet.
11. Starchy Vegetables and Fruits: Certain starchy vegetables like beans, peas, yams, sweet potatoes, taro, corn etc. and fruits such as mangoes, bananas, apples etc. are known to contribute to high blood sugar and so merits absence on a low fat diet. Also, vegetables made with butter, oil or sauce, mashed potatoes made with margarine, cheese or cream or any kind of fried vegetables must be avoided when you are following a low-fat diet.
12. Gluten: Gluten-loaded food items are really unhealthy and are freakishly fattening and as such contributes to unwanted weight gain. Thus gluten is to be avoided by those on a low fat diet.
13. Fatty meats: Fatty cuts of red meat, duck, bacons, sausage or hot dogs, fish canned in oil play a significant role in disrupting the amount of fat consumed and are not counted as healthy fats. Limit your intake of meat, fish, poultry, and eggs to 6 ounces per day.
14. Dairy products: Certain dairy products like whole milk, Chocolate milk, whipped cream, whole-milk yoghurt and regular cheese contain high amounts of unwanted fats and should be avoided to keep the fat intake low.
15. Granola: High-fat snack foods like granola is a big no-no. This contains higher amounts of calories per gram, so avoiding consumption of granola can help to reduce the fat-intake.
We tried to make a list of food items that is prudent to avoid when one is on a low fat diet and we hope that we have been able to cover most of them and the reader finds it useful. So dear readers, please share your thoughts and ideas in the comment section below – and as always- stay fit and pretty.