Someone rightly said, “Every time you eat, it’s an opportunity to nourish your body!.” When we eat right, avoiding foods with sugar, wrong kind of fats, refined, and chemical-laden food, we are nourishing our body instead of supplying it with toxic ingredients that can raise inflammation, trigger life-threatening diseases, and create the most undesirable effect – weight gain! It’s a fact that the body cannot survive for long on junk food, and the first step towards getting healthy and lose weight would be to toss out certain foods that come under the “junk” category from the kitchen right away. Underlining the fact that some foods can become a staple in your kitchen under the garb of “healthy food” and it becomes all the more important to clear out kitchen as part of “clean eating.” Most importantly, if you are trying to lose weight, kitchen is the right place to start because that’s the place you can cut out food with empty calories and toxic ingredients that raise inflammation and trigger weight gain. So, here’s the list to raid the kitchen with right now.
17 Foods you Should Never Have in your Kitchen To Lose Weight:
1. Breakfast Cereals: Don’t we all agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should thus be highly nutritious – then what are “breakfast cereals” doing in your kitchen? Many packaged cereals claim to have fortified minerals and vitamins that claim to aid your weight loss journey. Well, packaged breakfast cereals usually have high sugar content with empty calories, and hardly provide any nutrition, they just have just refined carbs which spike up insulin levels which throw blood sugar levels into a tizzy. The added fruit bits are usually coated in sugar and artificial colors, GMO and synthetic products to make them appealing to the taste buds. Also, read about “14 Unhealthy Breakfast Options that are Bad for your Weight Loss.”
2. White Bread: Made with refined flour, sugar, with high amount of empty calories, white bread should not be your staple breakfast – idli, dosa, poha, dhokla, and the breakfast options on Rati Beauty diet should become your weight loss breakfast staples.
3. Jam: Jams are notoriously fattening because they are made with high amounts of sugar, so do throw out that jam bottle please.
4. Fizzy Drinks: Soft drinks and soda not only have empty calories, they also cause hormonal imbalances and insulin resistance – there’s no space for fizzy beverages for someone leading a healthy life.
5. Sauce Dips: Salad dressings and sauce dips have been found to contain high quantities of sugar and as such are also quite fattening and detrimental to our health.
6. Canned Fruits: Canned fruits are not healthy, they come soaked in sugary syrup, and nothing about them is healthy or weight loss friendly.
7. HFCS: Sauces, baked goods, colas, etc., have high fructose corn syrup as an ingredient, which directly increases waist circumference and causes insulin resistance -in simple terms – avoid foods with HFCS to lose weight.
8. Packaged Fruit Juices: Just like canned fruits, packaged fruit juices have hardly anything healthy about them.
9. Anything with Transfat: A lot of processed food use “transfat” as an ingredient, which is an inexpensive way to add taste to the oil, but this process is extremely harmful to the human body due to the high proportion of LDL (bad cholesterol) which can wreak havoc in the body and puts one at the risk of developing morbid diseases like type 2 diabetes, stroke, and heart disease. Transfat food is commonly found in fried food, packaged baked items, even margarine. Here’s a list of “15 Transfat Food Items you should Avoid to Lose Weight Effectively.”
10. Soybean Oil: This oil has been found to raise the risk of heart disease and also increases inflammation, leading to weight gain.
11. Refined Sugar: Giving up on refined sugar from your diet can be a game-changer if you are trying to lose weight and improve overall health in general. Eliminating white sugar adds loads of empty calories, causes hormonal imbalances, increases insulin resistance, triggers inflammation, and causes weight gain. To satisfy your sweet tooth, here are some “better” alternatives.
12. Candied Fruits: Mango murabba, amla murabba, and other forms of candies are termed “healthy,” but the only thing they provide the body is a high sugar rush. Eat fruits in their natural form, do not add sugar or make candies out of them.
13. Maida/Refined Flour: This is the first item that should be tossed out from your kitchen right now. With high amount of empty calories, no nutritional value – what’s maida doing in your kitchen?
14. Biscuits: Made with refined flour, sugar, and oil – nothing is weight-loss friendly about biscuits and cookies.
15. Flavoured Greek Yogurt: Yogurt and curd contain gut-friendly probiotics that actually help one lose weight, but that’s not the case with flavored yogurt, which has sugar as one of the main ingredients. Stick to homemade curd or plain yogurt – no added flavours please!
16. Coffee Creamer: Don’t we absolutely love creamer adds so much delicious to a plain cup of coffee? But we would advise you to have your coffee black, especially since most creamers have been found to add 5 gm of sugar in a single serving!
17. Chocolate Spreads: These spreads add oodles of deliciousness to our plain bread and rotis and can act as a quick snack, but do remember most of that deliciousness is coming from sugar! Try homemade peanut butter as spread instead.
So, clear out your kitchen and toss the above-mentioned items right away for a fitter and healthier you.