1. Never test foundation on your hand. Test the foundation on your jawline or neck. If possible, these days stores such as MAC, Inglot, Lancome etc. even give you a full makeover and it becomes easier for you to get the exact match.
2. If you cannot see the pores of your skin after wearing foundation, it means you are wearing too much foundation.
You skin texture should see through a bit after you have applied your base makeup.
3. If you are applying liquid foundation, apply concealer AFTER you have applied foundation. Liquid foundation conceals a lot of problems areas on your face leaving a little room for concealer. If you applying powder/ mineral foundation, apply concealer BEFORE you have applied foundation.
4. If you are tying up your hair in a pony tail or in some other hairstyle where you have to pull your hair back, apply a little blush on your ear-lobes as well. In natural conditions, when your cheeks have a flush, your ears also have.
5. Don’t wear the powder blusher directly on your skin. Have a powder base or at least a foundation base before you apply a blusher. If you apply a powder blush directly on a dry-bare skin, the skin would suck the oils from the powder and you would have a blotchy , dusty pigment on your cheeks.
6. If you have never worn foundation before and you think that you would look too made up with foundation all over your face, just apply concealer on your problem areas (generally- sides of nose and mouth, under eyes, and where ever you have scar spots/birthmarks etc) and apply a powder all over your face. You have coverage, no cakiness and decent skin tone. 🙂
7. If you have small eyes and you want to give an illusion of bigger eyes, apply lighy eyes shadows and loads of mascara. If you have big eyes and you want to give an illusion of smaller eyes, use dark eye dark shadows.
8. The eye shadow theory applies to the lips as well. If you have small lips and you want to give an illusion of bigger lips, apply light, frosted lipsticks. If you have big lips and you want to give an illusion of smaller lips, use dark , matte lipsticks.
9. To give a quick exfoliation to your hands and feet, mix 2 tablespoon of sugar with 1 table spoon of honey. Rub the paste all over your feet and hands. Rinse after a rubbing the paste for a minute or two. Follow up with a moisturiser. This will remove all the dead skin cells and would leave you hands and feet happy.
10. If you have brittle nails, rub some almond or olive oil on your hands and nails evey night before sleeping. This will help in your nail growth.
These are a few basic quick tips mainly for people who are just starting with makeup. I don’t follow too many rules and believe that makeup is more about experimenting and having fun. However, knowing the basics do help. I would love to hear some basic quiky tips from you guys and what all rules have you broken , so far? 🙂
Head over to Today’s Pick. So irresistible. 😛
Image Source: MAC
33 thoughts on “10 Quick and Useful Makeup and Beauty Tips”
You know its strange,I believe I have small eyes,but if I wear lighter eye shadow my eyes looks tiny but if I wear dark shades ,they jus pop up*not literally* 🙂
I love matt but I don’t think my lips can carry matt listicks any more. Although I am looking forward to purchase few revlon’s one if they are available here (have pink pout ,didn’t suit me well)
These are the basic rules for the beginners , Sarah and for people who are just starting up. I mean I am so tired of hearing smokey eyes and nude lips. I feel a bit of colour on lips gives a better overall look. And makeup is mostly to play with it and not go the the strict rules. I have fallen in love with mattes even though I have small lips. Do I care? nah!! In fact< I like my lips more this way. 🙂 Guess, I'll just put a tiny disclaimer. 😛
why your blog always show annoyed/angry smiley with my comment? :/
Because, my dear Sarah, these are automatically generated by WordPress. Blame them. However if you want to change these go to gravatar.com and choose your own avatar. It will be your Global Avatar all over the internet.
LOL! sarah! Tht was so funny!! 😀 😀 😀
I also used to keep wondering why it shows such a grumpy face next to my name.. or is it an angry face..
thks for letting us know Rati!
& nice tips :D.. I didn’t know about blush on ears tho.. lol. never even thought about it. Will try it 😀
I know, Sarah is in some mood since yesterday. yesterday it was about Mr glossicious and today it’s her avatar.
The problem with wordpress is that it is pretty advanced and general audience is not able to catch up with what is happening. In fact, so many people have told me that they don’t comment on my blog coz it asks for an email id. I must get something like blogger where people can comment anonymously. sigh!! can’t do anything about it.
Guess we will go this way only. 🙂 Yes, our ears do turn red, haven’t you noticed ever? 😀
Double thanks to you..for the makeup tips as well as the Gravtar part. I was wondering like Sarah, why always a grumpy face as my avatar..hehe..
Will change soon 🙂
lol!! all the wordpress confusion is making people wonder. 😀 you wouldn’t believe that i have activated the better avatar version, the other one would have abstained people from commening on my blog completely. Funny things keep hapening on my blog. 😀
aww my comment represented our mutual confusions, so can i be official spokes person now? lolz seriously whenever i read my comment no matter how funny it was, tat angry face changed the whole outlook/meaning of my comment.Thanks for that Gravatar things, IM WOMAN ON A MISSION now, i wish i could swing my bum like aishwariya. btw has anyone seen that new loreal commercial??
OMG!! all the ladies on my blog have their avatr now. Looks good. 🙂 yes that red loreal shampoo wala. I have seen it. Never liked Aishwarya Rai, didn’t like here here as well. I guess Sonam would make a gorgeous brnad ambassador for Loreal. 🙂
Nice tips…Shall try them…Thanks
Most welcome, Shweta. 🙂
If my Gravatar works 🙂
LOL at Sarah’s first avatar ;D Omg too funny! Ican understand why she would get upset about it.
Anyways nice tips Rati. But ur right they r for beginners 🙂
Sarah is craking me up. I love her so much for bringing all those laughs here. 😀
ohhhh i’ve committed the mistake of applying blush on bare skin. disastrous consequences! my cheeks looked like victims of severe rosacea.
LOlll 😀 I am speechless now. 😀
wow. now i realize how much i hated that monocle sporting purple head!
lololzzz!!! All of us have avatars now. Feel the freedom from wordpress wavatars. 😀
Great make up tips…
Thank you, Rachna. 🙂
I’ve never paid that much attenjtion to detail in make up 🙂 probably coz i had no clue about this 🙂 hmm intresting:)
lol!! coz you do other stuff very well and I lack there. 😛 Thank you. 🙂
Bookmark!! So, so helpful
Guess you are visiting my blog after many days. 🙂
hehehehe funny.every1 is discussing abt the weard avatars that appear b4 their names leaving aside the main topic.really funny alot
Yes Ritu, we are here to have fun as well. 😛
hey ladies chk out “face basics 2” video in youtube and there u will know the right way 2 apply blusher & bronzer.
i m also trying 2 change those crazy faces
not working.[lz help
its so irritating that its not working